some options for the community

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: some options for the community

Post by sinewav »

delinquent wrote:K-Yo: I have a theory about the copyright issue: I don't know how it transpires in US law, but I'm certain that copyright is nullified after a specific length of time, and that infringements can only be pursued up to three or four years after. Another idea is to contact WD directly and propose something, but that could also be a future issue.
Oh boy, this is a whole other topic, but Walt Disney is at the heart of all our copyright troubles. It's Disney and other large corporations who have continually paid off the courts to extend the length of intellectual property rights to unreasonable timescales. These guys are at the heart of legislation like the DMCA, SOPA, PIPA, and international actions by the RIAA and the motion picture industry to take down The Pirate Bay and Megaupload. There is no reasoning with Disney or any of their likes. They destroy anything that gets in the way of their greed.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

A merchandise store would be awesome, with our favorite instant chats on mugs & t-shirts etc.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Heh Sine... I've heard some dodgy stories about disney like, I'll admit.

I like the idea of merchandise.
K-Yo
Round Winner

Post by K-Yo »

like this?

a big site isn't possible to day imo (same reasons as my previous post regarding development time). But a guy or two doing some designs and getting some printer to do some at a reasonable price, this is totally feasible! But it would probably cost because of delivery price.
K-Yo
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Can't do T-Shirts, it's ABD and probably copyrighted to ****, but mugs, posters and the like could be cool
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Lucifer wrote:I think merchandise is a great idea too. What happened with the last effort? I remember there being talk, cafepress vs ordering from a print shop, and the print shop folks won out and went off to work on it. What was the result?
Remember your Breakfast Store?
K-Yo wrote:Why do you want the community to grow? I don't think adding money in the game would improve anything...
You don't get it. With 2020, it's not about growing the community, it's about his personal crusade to change the world. No, I'm not joking. His delusion of grandeur is that he may reorder global society through a video game.
delinquent wrote:I have a theory about the copyright issue...
You have your own theory?
I don't know how it transpires in US law....
Obviously not. So, look it up. Then again, you're a 19 year old raised on the internet, so what do you know about looking anything up? Duration of Copyright in the US. Check your certainty, bub.
sinewav wrote:There is no reasoning with Disney or any of their likes. They destroy anything that gets in the way of their greed.
Same exact statements apply to the pro-piracy "movement."
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Phytotron wrote:
Lucifer wrote:I think merchandise is a great idea too. What happened with the last effort? I remember there being talk, cafepress vs ordering from a print shop, and the print shop folks won out and went off to work on it. What was the result?
Remember your Breakfast Store?
Now I have a store for my web comic that I really need to grow.
Phytotron wrote:Same exact statements apply to the pro-piracy "movement."
Heh, look at the current comic: http://comics.davefancella.com/ . Or if you're late, look at the immediately previous one.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Phyto... I don't mean to instigate any sort of argument, but I found that a bit insulting. I'm not exactly raised on the internet, in fact I had little access to it until I was around 15, my previous computer experiences being with older machines and books. This is mainly because I have been resident in many countries throughout my childhood.

As for the law on copyright, perhaps I should have said intellectual property, since the cycles themselves are not trademarked, merely the picture that was printed on T-Shirts. I refer to this one.

If I am correct, in a school lesson on IP, the individual content of a complete trademarked piece can, in some cases, be open for public use, and in printed format sold for no more than a 35% profit. If that percentage is exceeded, the surplus must be declared, in which case the rights holder determines whether the profit is kept or not. I think I'm right in saying that is US law, although I may well be wrong, and it in fact be that of another country. I'm not trawling the internet for something I don't really think is relevant anymore.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Woohoo, dbind for weaks! For anyone wondering, that's the phrase I was referring to in the Breakfast Store thread. Have you ordered one yourself? Do the cycle walls show up? They barely do in the original image.
Lucifer wrote:Heh, look at the current comic: http://comics.davefancella.com/ . Or if you're late, look at the immediately previous one.
Wocka wocka!

delinquent wrote:As for the law on copyright, perhaps I should have said intellectual property....
I'm not sure you know what copyright means.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Not going to bother..
what
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by what »

How about a armagetronad comic from Lucifer and art from Lackadaisical. A link on the armagetronad website would lead to their website or a subsite from the main server. There we can sell merchandise and comics copyrighted to armagetronad and Lucifer/Lackadaisical.

You can theme comics on Ladles and Tournaments with your own twist and have current players in them.

Just another floating idea :)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

what wrote:How about a armagetronad comic from Lucifer and art from Lackadaisical. A link on the armagetronad website would lead to their website or a subsite from the main server. There we can sell merchandise and comics copyrighted to armagetronad and Lucifer/Lackadaisical.

You can theme comics on Ladles and Tournaments with your own twist and have current players in them.

Just another floating idea :)
I like this idea. I'm assuming you mean me and lackadaisical producing separate works and not collaborating? I ask because I'm sure he's quite competent to come up with his own jokes and make his own comics. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden