Hey There Delilah - Tron Version

Anything About Anything...
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Just a fun cover of another song with tron lyrics. As it says in the description, the bass and backup vocals were improvised (its pretty obvious at certain parts), which is why they sound shittier than normal. Everything was done in 2 or 3 takes, which is why it sounds pretty...crap. Maybe if people like it I will polish it up, but as it stands it was just a quick project for a rainy Saturday :D

(If you play bass, you will cringe listening to this. You have been warned)

anyways, as always, scathing criticism and helpful comments alike are welcomed
Boxed
biasoner
Average Program

Re: Hey There Delilah - Tron Version

Post by biasoner »

lol! nice. Oo i got mentioned in a song oO!!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Ha! You totally exceeded my expectations with that one. I only have the recordings you post here to gauge your progress and it's obvious you have been working hard on this. Say, what kind of monitors do you use? Multimedia speakers? I think you are getting close to needing better monitors to help smooth out your mix.

Where did you get a bass!? Sounds good. I think you could benefit by recording/playing to a click-track and in general it's good practice.

I like that you completed a whole song, which is much different than the sketches you usually post. I can see the effort.

"...it was just a quick project for a rainy Saturday"

Those are some of the best. And don't polish things up after releasing. Work on it until you are satisfied, then give it to the world and don't go back. In the world of home recording it is too easy to fall into the trap of constantly re-recording and polishing until you have worn away any character. The song is fun and you get your point across, it doesn't need to sound like Dave Grohl was involved.
Agent007
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Agent007 »

Loved it...song was absolutely brilliant! :D
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I didn't like the original, but this one was good.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Haha thanks everyone. Glad to hear people actually enjoyed it

Sine multimedia speakers are just external speakers right? If so, then no, I'm using this headset to listen to everything (traded in my broken Steelseries Siberias for them, got a pretty sweet deal.)

And, uh, the bass is actually just my guitar with the E string dropped ridiculously low and the settings on my amp tweaked a bit :oops: .I have a setting called pitch glide that I used to use to get a lower tone, but I have to have it on the exact right setting or else it sounds nasty. Wasn't able to get it this time. But I really felt like having that bass would make it better sooo...

And actually, playing to a click track is what made me think that there is a bit of input lag. I would play along with the click track just fine, but when I listened to the recording, I was still just a hair off beat. Maybe I have no rhythm

@paul Haha yeah, it just fit so nicely I had to do it
Boxed
what
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by what »

That was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

** metronome**
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Clutch wrote:Sine multimedia speakers are just external speakers right?
Well kind of. When you say "multimedia speakers" people usually think of those inexpensive 2.1 or 5.1 speaker systems you can get at computer stores. Professional monitors are the stuff you get at Guitar Center / Sam Ash / etc... But hey, if the headphones are working for you, then just keep doing it. One of my best friends mixed exclusively with headphones for years and got some amazing mixes.

I only use headphones for listening to details and do most of my mixing with near-fields (my set-up attached below). Last year I got a pair of Samason MediaOne 4a's and have been very impressed with how flat and responsive they are. And, they only cost about $160.00, which is a lot of money for you, but not an unreasonable amount. Pick up a pair if you can. (Oh, if you ever get into live sound, tRonPaul is a live sound guy and I'm sure he'd share some tips.)
Clutch wrote:And actually, playing to a click track is what made me think that there is a bit of input lag. I would play along with the click track just fine, but when I listened to the recording, I was still just a hair off beat. Maybe I have no rhythm.
No, it's not you. Latency in recording is the biggest problem in digital audio. There are latency settings in Audacity's preferences you might have to tweak. You should probably spend some time on their wiki and forum and learn how to set up your system for better performance. Don't give up the click. The more you record to a click, the better chance I have or remixing and collaborating with you, haha.

Also, I like the stereo panning in this latest recording. Nice touch man. :wink:
Attachments
I can explain this image later.
I can explain this image later.
DaGarBBaGeMAN
Core Dumper

Post by DaGarBBaGeMAN »

hahahahahahah was awesome
Image -made by az95

Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

You've got a nice voice man, keep on singing :)
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

haha this is brilliant!

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

sinewav wrote:
Clutch wrote:And actually, playing to a click track is what made me think that there is a bit of input lag. I would play along with the click track just fine, but when I listened to the recording, I was still just a hair off beat. Maybe I have no rhythm.
No, it's not you. Latency in recording is the biggest problem in digital audio. There are latency settings in Audacity's preferences you might have to tweak. You should probably spend some time on their wiki and forum and learn how to set up your system for better performance. Don't give up the click. The more you record to a click, the better chance I have or remixing and collaborating with you, haha.

Also, I like the stereo panning in this latest recording. Nice touch man. :wink:
Oh. Well that is good to know, it was driving me insane. I'll definitely have to read up because (as everyone can tell) I really need a click track. And thanks, it will be a lot more fun when I'm using more than 4 or 5 tracks

Thanks guys :mrgreen:
Boxed
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

I just record stuff while listening to the already recorded tracks, if the latency is a problem, i just synchronize it. I also sometimes use a drums recording as pattern and record everything based on only the drums, then put it together.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
Shock
Core Dumper

Post by Shock »

Nice, Box : D : D
Thanks for that
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Thanks Cap :D
nux wrote:I just record stuff while listening to the already recorded tracks, if the latency is a problem, i just synchronize it.
If I was doing a serious recording I would probably do that, but for this one I just did two or three takes for each track, and I thought I was the one going off beat, so I would try to fix it once I heard myself going out of time. So trying to make it synchronize would just screw up another part of the song
nux wrote: I also sometimes use a drums recording as pattern and record everything based on only the drums, then put it together.
I...didn't think to do that :/ I thought about it then decided that I didn't want any drums...Should've just put them in just for a beat then took them out later. Sigh. I'm not a smart man
Boxed