Tron activity

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Tron activity

Post by Word »

Don't thank me, thank Ai. Open it in Wordpad instead of Notepad to get a better look (maybe some other program works too).
Attachments
settings.tar
(90 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

delinquent wrote:I have an idea:
I know that 0.4 has the tutorials, but until they're more widely distributed, wouldn't it be a nice idea to add a learning server for newcomers where they can learn a little without being flamed? If I ever get the amazon ip config sorted out, I'm doing it.
Please, do feel free to jump on #armagetron and give us a hand so we can push 0.4 as the stable version. This wont happen overnight, but we are kind of short on contributions.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

@nux: aye, will do
@word: reet, I'll keep these saved on the server, I'm working with some guys on reddit who seem to know what they're doing. Hopefully it'll be up tomorrow or over the weekend. Don't expect anything special just yet though, I need to run a few tests before I do anything radical
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Tank, is it possible that you or someone with access could add the ip 54.247.102.58:4534 to the master list? I wonder if it may work that way

Edit: Scratch that, I got it to work! I have temporarily named it "armagetron newcomers play here first"
Is there a way to set the score bias huge so that it always appears at the top by default?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

delinquent wrote:Is there a way to set the score bias huge so that it always appears at the top by default?
On your client, sure, just hold down + a lot.
On the server, no, of course not.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

If I've said it once, I've said it...a bunch of other times: There has always been turnover in this game. The people who stick around long term are the minority. For those of you who happen to be of that few, if you stick around long enough, eventually almost everyone you started out playing with will have moved on. Along with, the overall activity has always waxed and waned. Nothing new to see here, move along.

And is that any different than any other online game? (Actual question; I don't play any others.)

And by the way, this goes for game modes, too. But I have a feeling I know what kind of response I would get if I gave all you the same sort of treatment I was given when I lamented the decline in normal FFA servers and activity therein.
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

Phytotron wrote:And is that any different than any other online game? (Actual question; I don't play any others.)
Sort of...

WoW and Runescape being the two online games I have played the most, people tend to come and go in major waves centered around drastic changes.

WoW players come and go around each expansion.

Many Runescape players stopped playing after the removal of free trade (completely changed the game forever, and is mainly the reason I left).

But yeah, I would say that the minority of WoW and Runescape players are the oldies (7+ years).
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

League of Legends too addicting :D
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Ratchet wrote:
I think Sumo is as active as ever, I always see people playing some form of sumo (though I personally would like a good team sumo server to go up.)
What's wrong with ID TeamSumo? People have played in it and had no problems. The only problem there is it is mostly unused. According to logs it gets used about a half a dozen times a month.
Ratchet wrote: I think activity would spark if these things happened:
- Less people trying to salvage up 12 people to get one pickup game going
- A GENERAL American Fortress server, not all these clan-owned servers. Give some of the respected and popular fortress players the proper access level to manage the server, and keep out the trolls.

Basically, I think the biggest thing is a well-hosted server with great bandwidth in the USA, under the name of something like "Fortress Cafe of America", or maybe the old traditional "Fortress Cafe" even. Just something non-clan specific, and an agreed-upon place to go for general games. Right now we have every clan trying to get THEIR fortress server active. I think they should save their servers for practices and clan-specific events, and everyone else should come together and try and get one active server going.
I couldn't agree more. About 2 years ago I brought back the original Fortress Cafe, and that inspired some fun matches and a couple tournaments. I have created a Fortress Cafe 2.0 (hosted now in the USA, in Virginia which is pretty darned good for Euro folks too).

Check out my post about it here.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
FoFo
Core Dumper

Post by FoFo »

in 7 years, i never saw that, empty servers everytime, no public EU fort server, people losing interest in the game ect...

League of Legend and the people who promoted it for months on arma servers is the major reason of that inactivity..

empty servs used to happen in the morning, now even on evenings, there is no fortress game on, thats sad..

anyways that s life...
Kijutsu
Match Winner

Post by Kijutsu »

FoFo wrote:in 7 years, i never saw that, empty servers everytime, no public EU fort server, people losing interest in the game ect...

League of Legend and the people who promoted it for months on arma servers is the major reason of that inactivity..

empty servs used to happen in the morning, now even on evenings, there is no fortress game on, thats sad..

anyways that s life...
I agree, I have 35 people in my LoL friendslist all from tron. You should try it, Lucas. <3

We'll all get bored of LoL and return to tron, no worries.
FoFo
Core Dumper

Post by FoFo »

i hope :(

i ve already tried LoL and still prefer tron :P
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Fofo, if enough Europeans are interested in a European Fortress Cafe, I will put one up once I setup a VPS pretty much just for it.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
FoFo
Core Dumper

Post by FoFo »

ofc we are interested :)
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

hm, why not advertise tron in LoL while they're there ><

I did that in Multi Theft Auto a few years ago, don't know if it was successful ("This is too easy, I go back playing Armagetron. That's a real game."). :P