Ladle 59 Date

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: Ladle 59 Date

Post by Phytotron »

But you beat me to the page break. Dang!

(Not that I had anything else to say on the subject.)
Last edited by Tank Program on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It's the page break now thanks to a double post being deleted! :D
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

Clutch wrote:-edit-

Phyto beat me to it -.-
Phytotron wrote:But you beat me to the page break. Dang!

(Not that I had anything else to say on the subject.)
hahahaha
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
MusicMeg21
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by MusicMeg21 »

Well, I'm not sure if I'm truly qualified to answer this post. (Probably not, but I'll put my opinion anyway.)

I'd like to say first that I have absolutely no interest in the Euro's Football Final, nor do I have too much of an interest in the ladle; however, when I read this thread, there was, clearly, some hostility going on, and I really don't think y'all should be fighting--for lack of a better word--over this so strongly.

I've read this thread multiple times, actually, just to try to better understand it. I honestly can't understand why some of you are so stubborn in wanting to keep the date the 1st, instead of making it easier on many of your fellow tronners that do want to participate in the ladle and watch their Football Final. I understand that there's a ladle every month, yes? Yet, how often is there a Football Final? (I actually don't know :D xD, but I can't imagine it would be as frequent as ladle is.) People wish to watch the game, instead of play tron; is that such a crime?

It seems that you'll be missing a large amount of people if you have ladle on the 1st, so move it to the 8th, and more people would be able to play and have a fun time. Yes, some people who have their days off only on the first of the month may have to miss it, but there will always be more ladles.

It said somewhere that the Superbowl and ladle never overlap, but if it did, wouldn't you appreciate it if ladle was moved to an easier date for you?

Simply, my opinion, and I truly hope I'm not making any enemies by writing this. I also hope I'm not breaking any type of rule by posting here when I don't play in Ladle or watch any sport of any kind on television.

(I realize that I could have just said, "You should make everything easier and move the date," but I thought it better to explain some. Sorry for the superflous words, I suppose.

~ MusicMeg
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Meg, there are probably an equal number of people that have re-arranged their lives to be able to play on the first and can't play on the 8th. The reason for the voting system, as currently implemented, is to allow some sort of identification of the opinion of the majority of teams that play in the Ladle. Thus far, it appears that the majority of team votes are in support of not changing the date. Please also note, this vote was being called only 2 weeks before the Ladle takes place. Had this vote happened at least a month or more in advance, it might have gone quite differently than it appears to be going. People would have had adequate time to plan ahead. Please also note that many months ago a years worth of Ladle dates were planned and voted on. Nobody noticed this or objected to this. However, even though it is last minute, a vote is taking place.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Not to mention how ugly it would be for people who did everything right and planned their week-ends accordingly way in advance to end up missing the ladle because of people who want to change the date at the last minute. And it's not like either competition's dates were decided at the last minute. They ****** up. Let that be a lesson for them instead of it being a "lesson" for people who actually did everything right.
pickle
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by pickle »

I still say rather than moving the date we should have ladle on 1st and since a noticeably amount of people are going to miss it we can hold a competition of some sort on the 8th which could be set up like the ladle but isn't the official ladle.

If after this vote the date is moved, would it be possible to hold a competition on the 1st since that is the day we should have had the ladle?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Yeah, we can have a Spoon.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

MusicMeg21 wrote:I understand that there's a ladle every month, yes? Yet, how often is there a Football Final? ... People wish to watch the game, instead of play tron; is that such a crime?
Not to belabor the point, but this is exactly the reason it shouldn't be moved. The UEFA championship is an official professional tournament held every four years. The Ladle is a tiny, informal video game tournament held every month. It seems rather obvious to me which should take precedence for those people who have an interest in both. (People who, let's reiterate, are only a fraction of the total Ladle-participating population.) They can skip the Ladle without missing anything near the significance of the UEFA championship.

Also consider impact and inconvenience put on the Ladle-participating population. If it remains on its usual date, the only people affected are those who choose to skip it in order to watch the soccer game that only they care about. If it is rescheduled then everyone is affected, now forced to play it on a different date. (To which they would respond, "no one's forcing you to play on the rescheduled date, you can skip it if you don't like it." Doh!)

See the difference? Certain people are trying to frame this as though the courteous thing would be to reschedule it, but that's completely backwards, and so very indicative of the kind of self-centered sense of "etiquette" that pervades that particular generation.

Analogy? You and a group of friends have a bar/club you always go to on Friday nights, where there's always some local band/DJ playing. You always plan around it; it's expected. Then one Thursday night you get tickets to some big concert you just remembered was coming to town. You really want to go but your friends aren't interested and just want to do their regular Friday night outing. You call up all your friends and say, "hey guys, I'm going to this big concert, but I think you guys should stay home and not go to our usual spot because I don't want to miss that too, and I'm too awesome for you to have any fun without me anyway. But we can totally hang out Wednesday night! You just can't go out tomorrow night."
Last edited by Phytotron on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Phytotron wrote:Analogy? You and a group of friends have a bar/club you always go to on Friday nights, where there's always some local band/DJ playing. You always plan around it; it's expected. Then one Thursday night you get tickets to some big concert you just remembered was coming to town. You really want to go but your friends aren't interested and just want to do their regular Friday night outing. You call up all your friends and say, "hey guys, I'm going to this big concert, but I think you guys should stay home and not go to our usual spot because I don't want to miss that too, and I'm too awesome for you to have any fun without me anyway. But we can totally hang out Wednesday night! You just can't go out tomorrow night."
+1
Core Dumper

Post by 0000 »

Can someone else host us servers if we hold it on the 8th? I might be able to manage it, but it will be difficult and I'd rather not. Someone adding a couple to the list would increase my comfort factor.
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

Edit:nvm (stupid vote change) ............
Last edited by Mkay1 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

Mkay1 wrote:Looks like 8th will win.
The vote is 3-2 right now in favor of the 1st.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Zimblunk
Average Program

Post by Zimblunk »

Update: As of this post, the vote is 5-5.

I reviewed the rules, and it seems the vote ends exactly when signups close. Since uNa cannot make the 1st, am I going to be able to replace uNa with a different team (with different players) if the 1st wins? Or will we have a 24-hour grace period for people to switch / reform teams after the vote ends? How exactly will this be handled?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Zimblunk wrote:How exactly will this be handled?
Good question. First, sign up anyone you can possibly think of that might play for UNA (as long as they aren't on another team of course). Your roster can be as big as you want it to be. After sign-ups close, make your 2 adjustments as neded. Everyone you pick up on Ladle day will be considered a sub. Given the wacky nonsense going on this Ladle I don't think anyone will mind if you treat UNA like an open team this month.
Zimblunk
Average Program

Post by Zimblunk »

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

Okay, I edited the wiki to reflect what you said. Hopefully, it will be clear to the bracket-maker what our entry is. If not, I'll edit the entry and remove the nonsense at the first chance I get after brackets are created.