Ladle 59 Date

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

ElmosWorld
Match Winner

Re: Ladle 59 Date

Post by ElmosWorld »

1st and 2nd Sundays in August are when the Olympics are being held. Should we move the August ladle to the third Sunday?
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

I'm pretty sure that fewer tronners watch the Olympics compared to the European Football Championship
(Just a guess tho, maybe we should open up a poll ;) )

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

þsy wrote:I don't want to get side-tracked here though. The argument I'm making here isn't so much how many it will affect, but what is there to lose in moving it to the following week?

Loss of tradition? Inconvenience? Opens up the ladle to future abuse?
Ahh yes, this is the point I was trying to press, thank you. It's just a matter of a simple comparison. Option A, or Option B, choose the lesser of two evils (because neither are fully ideal). And I'd say that moving the date is far less of a price to pay than having a number of people (which seems to be getting more and more substantial) not participate.
Venijn wrote:Why don't we get rid of these statistical polls, and have a real one, with us acting on the result?

In your opinion, ladle should be

A. on the 1st July.
B. On the 8th July.
Because these polls should (hopefully) give us all a sense of which date is the better one to choose. Obviously there still needs to be an actual vote by team leaders of Ladle 58 (representing their teams) to actually commit any change, but I say we wait a few days at let this discussion keep churning.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

A thing is that there was a designated procedure to change the dates and you skipped it. What's the point of all these procedures if no one is going to respect them? Either you suck it up and accept that you forgot or whatever, or stop using those ladle polls and return to unfocused 10-page long threads and deal with the mess that arises next time an issue comes up.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

European Exceptionalism.
Ritsuka
Round Winner

Post by Ritsuka »

-*inS*- wrote:Some people (including me) work Sundays and specifically got the first Sunday off for the ladle, but it's okay to ignore that I suppose
This
Kijutsu
Match Winner

Post by Kijutsu »

Ritsuka wrote:
-*inS*- wrote:Some people (including me) work Sundays and specifically got the first Sunday off for the ladle, but it's okay to ignore that I suppose
This
From quitting to skipping work for the ladle, interesting.

On the subject, I don't really care either way but I don't think it should be moved.
Ritsuka
Round Winner

Post by Ritsuka »

Kijutsu wrote:From quitting to skipping work for the ladle, interesting.
Not skipping work, it's been predetermined with my employer that I will not work on the first Sunday of the month. I don't lose any hours.
lonewolf
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by lonewolf »

Ladle should not be moved. The larger portion of the tron community that wants to play on that date should not have to participate a week later just to accommodate the needs of a (smaller) group that wants to watch football. If watching football (that could be recorded) is that much of a priority, suck it up and don't ask us all to work around your needs.
I didn't choose the thug life, thug life chose me - Abraham Lincoln
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

lonewolf wrote:Ladle should not be moved. The larger portion of the tron community that wants to play on that date should not have to participate a week later just to accommodate the needs of a (smaller) group that wants to watch football. If watching football (that could be recorded) is that much of a priority, suck it up and don't ask us all to work around your needs.
It's not about "us working around their needs" but about the community making an easy accommodation for a decently substantial amount of people. (As the polls show right now, 22 more people would be attending the ladle if we moved it back a week.) Also, it's about making the ladle more fun for those who can and will participate on either day, which is the overwhelming majority.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
dreadlord
Match Winner

Post by dreadlord »

Well, as it seems there are many people who don't want the ladle to be moved, maybe only because it's their way to show how little they care about an European sports tournament or European tronners in general. Don't move it then and play with 5 or 6 teams, if that's what you want.

On a side-note: I can follow insa's argumentation, because if the ladle was moved he would not be able to play. However, I really do not understand the rest of you who do not want to move it although you would be able to play on the 8th, too, even with more teams then. Well, your decision.
Venijn
Round Winner

Post by Venijn »

Venijn wrote:
Venijn wrote:We could always have a "Shadow ladle" a week later for all who can make the 8th if this doesn't work out.
Click. Image
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

Epsy: Well I don't think we're aware of this, and rather than accuse us of ignoring procedure, wouldn't it be far more helpful to tell us what the procedure is, so we can implement it?

The taken time off for the first Sunday argument is a fair one, and if a lot of people have done this then it's probably not a good idea to move it. But it seems only Ritsuka and Insa have done this, anyone else?

There does tend to be more Americans vocal on this board than Europeans... I wonder what it would be like if Superbowl clashed with ladle...

SP currently has only 3 players available for ladle if it's on the 1st (yeah, we lost another to the football)
Pr3
Round Winner

Post by Pr3 »

I'd prefer a ladle with the most possible people. I'm sure uNk feels the same way.
DaGarBBaGeMAN
Core Dumper

Post by DaGarBBaGeMAN »

dreadlord wrote:Well, as it seems there are many people who don't want the ladle to be moved, maybe only because it's their way to show how little they care about an European sports tournament or European tronners in general. Don't move it then and play with 5 or 6 teams, if that's what you want.

On a side-note: I can follow insa's argumentation, because if the ladle was moved he would not be able to play. However, I really do not understand the rest of you who do not want to move it although you would be able to play on the 8th, too, even with more teams then. Well, your decision.
Yeah, wtf guys. If you're able to make Ladle on July 8th as well, why wouldn't you want to move it? That's just being selfish and narrow minded. Just because you want Ladle a week earlier, you're going to deny a significant part of the community an entire month's Ladle? I don't know about you, but I, along with the rest of 3t, practice all month just for the Ladle, and it's really disheartening to not be able to play.

According to the polls so far, the proportion of those who can't make Ladle is twice that of those who can. So according to that data, the majority is with those that cannot make it. Ladle is a community event, so why have a Ladle with so much of the community missing?
Image -made by az95