Apology

Anything About Anything...
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Re: Apology

Post by Jonathan »

Lucifer wrote:I know how it often looks from the outside, but in my experience, most of the atheist population only fights discrimination. Acceptance is basically a given. And most of the Christian population doesn't engage in discrimination, but resists changes to discrimination that's already institutionalized. Acceptance is still basically a given.

The hate crimes are from fringe groups, and the way to adjust the extremes on either side is to move the middle to a different place. It only needs to go far enough that the hate crimes stop and liberty is secured for all.
Good point. There's still some hostility from atheists directed where it doesn't do much good, though. But I'm really just baffled by the extremes I see overseas, and the apparent relation to the bullshit going on. That may be just how you roll, but it leads me to wonder.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Oh neat, an interesting article that kind of goes along with what I was saying on the previous page.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

It says that East Germany would lean more towards theism again only because more people from the West would live there now - I think the bigger reason is that religion was forbidden in the GDR for 50 years and the communist ideology replaced it, and now the people there are rediscovering their roots. Everyone here knows how much the protestant churches (the mouldering buildings and priests that were left) helped to initiate and organize the protests that helped to cause the GDR's collapse. Even our current president is/was one of those priests.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

sinewav wrote:Oh neat, an interesting article that kind of goes along with what I was saying on the previous page.
Heh. The churches around here in the Netherlands don't know what's hitting them. I recently googled kerkverlating (church abandonment) and found mostly their own accounts. They just can't grasp what's going on looking through their own lens, or at least find it unspeakable.

True atheism is about as large as nonreligion in the US. Nonreligion is huge: check out Ietsism. Religion isn't small, either, but only a fraction of 'religious' people attends church and all. Even then that's often more for the experience than because they take it all too seriously. Serious religiosity has become quite rare.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Kijutsu wrote:ps: way to copy my apology troll thread.
I told all of you so!

Clutch wrote:PHYTOTRON, WHERE ARE YOU?
Well, beginning Friday the 18th, I took a week+ off on account of our marital annualverskity. Then, this past Tuesday when I was prepared to return to posting, our modem got fried or something. Only got service back today.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I was expecting more of an outburst against illogic and what have you. Disappointed.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Jonathan wrote:I was expecting more of an outburst against illogic and what have you. Disappointed.
Yeah, you're lettin' me down man
Boxed
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Just not up to it. It's spring time and it has been lovely (although we're having an annoying cold snap today). :)

Besides, I'm not quite as bothered by Gene's "kinder, gentler" brand of Christianity or whatever. I mean, as Christians go. Plus, he said I'm on the side of Good and Right, so who am I to disagree?

Of course, I understand sinewav's reaction. See, Gene, it's not simply malicious Christianity-bashing. We see Christianity and its form of theism in general as not only an example of unreason where the supernaturalistic elements are concerned, but also as being at its foundation premised upon wretched servility and an anti-humanistic morality. And we can't have that. One can attempt to present and "live" Christianity in a more reasonable and cordial and liberal manner, and that's all well and good and certainly preferable to the alternative when it comes to getting along in our daily lives, but where the message is concerned a person of our persuasion can see that as being even more insidious than the overt, aggressive types. Wolf in sheep's clothing kinda thang, ya know. (Not to suggest you yourself are a wolf; I think we've all established we don't believe that. I hope you noted sinewav's more conciliatory tone in that other thread.)

Perhaps you can relate to sinewav's point of view and attitude if you try to understand it by analogy to your conspiracy theories. What's more irksome to you, the obvious and plain or the more insidious?

Oh, and I have no idea what's up with Titanoboa, so no comment.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

sinewav wrote:
Titanoboa wrote:I'm suspecting sine is a mature christian :o
Yes, in the same same way a butterfly is a mature caterpillar (complete metamorphosis).
Interesting analogy. Did you come up with that on the spot?
Phytotron wrote:Oh, and I have no idea what's up with Titanoboa, so no comment.
Me neither. We'll see :P Hopefully something good will come out from it.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Titanoboa wrote:
sinewav wrote:
Titanoboa wrote:I'm suspecting sine is a mature christian :o
Yes, in the same same way a butterfly is a mature caterpillar (complete metamorphosis).
Interesting analogy. Did you come up with that on the spot?
Yes, naturally. And if you don't understand, I mean to illustrate the difference between my world-view and the Christian one. They are vastly different.
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

Titan on mdma?
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

sinewav wrote:And if you don't understand
I think I did understand & didn't say I agreed with your analogy. Wd on coming up with a good one to make your point though :)
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

I've been really off these forums, can someone explain me what the **** is going on here? and why is everyone on the need of apologizing?

FINE SORRY for being a jerk... sometimes... hardly ever..
Paladin
Average Program

Post by Paladin »

Gonzap wrote:I've been really off these forums, can someone explain me what the **** is going on here? and why is everyone on the need of apologizing?

FINE SORRY for being a jerk... sometimes... hardly ever..
Not accepted. We have begun a system at work where apologies no longer are accepted unless they are presented along with a home made pie. Start baking Gonazp. :wink:
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I wouldn't want to eat all these pies, some could be poisoned