CTF BRAWL 15

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Tru
Round Winner

CTF BRAWL 15

Post by Tru »

The CTF BRAWL 15 will be played on Saturday, April 14th, 2012!

http://wiki.armagetronad.org/index.php/CTF_BRAWL

Image Image Image Image Image Image
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Re: CTF BRAWL 15

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Awesome!

.aP will sign up again (hopefully once I find people willing to play).

Also this time I won't have login problems like last time. Their logins will be aptron.at.tc/(title). Most titles of that login are Public.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Ah I'm also wondering. This hasn't been written on the website but would you think that if the team is not decided on players, should it be written as TBD ?

If so, then shouldn't this instruction be placed on the CTF BRAWL wiki page?
Tru
Round Winner

Post by Tru »

Wind
Core Dumper

Post by Wind »

Might have been me just imagining... but

Did anyone notice that in a few of the servers there were instant round ends?
Proud leader of ~'Untitled Clan
http://www.uclan.darkbb.com
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Wind wrote:Might have been me just imagining... but

Did anyone notice that in a few of the servers there were instant round ends?
Wasn't just you man. BrrrawlerzZ got burned by it over and over again last Brawl (boy, was I irate because of that). Happened in the previous one too, but not as often. I'd like to know the reason for it. If it keeps happening, that's a total game-changer and not in a good way. A huge part of CTF strategy is based on the ability to respawn.

If you look at the current Brawl servers, there are 4 different versions running. I won't be around this week, but I suggest the rest of you do some experimenting. Get a full game going, and test each of the three versions to find out if the respawn bug (for lack of a better term) affects all versions or just one/two. Sound good? If we find one version that works as desired, we should demand all tournament servers run that version (this should be policy anyway, IMO; server homogeneity).
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

My server had no problems with this "Instant Round wins" and I was using 0.2.9_alphar763 (need to update to 764 later).

I would say that the settings were messed around with like: LIMIT_ROUNDS -1 or LIMIT_ROUNDS 0. That's the only conclusion I can come up with the problem you are stating unless there is a bug in the game which I really much doubt it.
Tru
Round Winner

Post by Tru »

would appreciate if someone wants to get info of job to be done before tourney itself to replace me whenever I'm unreachable
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I tested all the current Brawl server for the respawn bug with Number3 and Reg. I saw it happen once on .2.9-sty+ct_alpha20110919. I drove right though the base and nothing happened. Although, it's possible I seem to have lagged about the same time, so I can't be certain.

Please, if you are playing in a Brawl server and see the bug, remember the server name (and Arma version if you can) and tell me, or post here.
Child_of_blood
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Child_of_blood »

I'll keep an eye out during the matches I play.
-`S_Serenity Clan >>Visit Us!<<

-`S_Caladbolg
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

I haven't seen any problems with any other servers I went into so it shouldn't be a major problem.

Maybe ask the server owner to upgrade to the latest?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

LOVER$BOY wrote:I haven't seen any problems with any other servers I went into so it shouldn't be a major problem.

Ok kid, this is how it works: Just because you haven't seen the bug, doesn't mean it does not exist. The bug definitely exists, and it's a major problem because it changes the way CTF is played. The bug can rob teams of dozens of points. And the most recent version is not what you want to use -- because that's usually where the bug is! It hasn't been reported. We are still hunting it, so old versions should be used until we can faithfully reproduce it and fix it for newer versions.

I'd like to make a recommendation that we only use .2.8-sty+ct_alpha20110812 or earlier for tournaments until we can systematically test newer versions. In fact, an older version than alpha20110812 would be even better. We know this is a recent problem, but it's not clear how recent. I haven't gone through the changes between .2.8 and .2.9. Anyone have something to add about this?
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

sinewav wrote:
LOVER$BOY wrote:I haven't seen any problems with any other servers I went into so it shouldn't be a major problem.

Ok kid, this is how it works: Just because you haven't seen the bug, doesn't mean it does not exist. The bug definitely exists, and it's a major problem because it changes the way CTF is played. The bug can rob teams of dozens of points. And the most recent version is not what you want to use -- because that's usually where the bug is! It hasn't been reported. We are still hunting it, so old versions should be used until we can faithfully reproduce it and fix it for newer versions.

I'd like to make a recommendation that we only use .2.8-sty+ct_alpha20110812 or earlier for tournaments until we can systematically test newer versions. In fact, an older version than alpha20110812 would be even better. We know this is a recent problem, but it's not clear how recent. I haven't gone through the changes between .2.8 and .2.9. Anyone have something to add about this?
Sorry to disappoint you but I don't agree on that point. MY 0.2.9_alpha-r763 version server is NOT having any kind of respawn problems or the sort of bugs you claimed to be seeing. I know this for a fact because I'm hosting "Kill The King", an RPG type of game play similar to Happy Fun Time and it requires the respawning.

So tell me! If the latest versions of sty+ct are bugged, why is it that the players are respawning when a player enters base and respawns them and that actually happens! I have to admit RESPAWN_PLAYER and RESAPWN_TIME don't have any affect after some time but I'm guessing there is some kind if issue with that matter but it never bothered me as it were only those commands that never really worked after 3-4 minutes.

I hate to blow your bubble but I've been using that server for a while and I used it in the last tournament and people had no problems then. Why should it be a problem to upgrade unless you think upgrading to a latest versions will bug the game play. In fact I KNOW about this BUG you are talking about!!! It happened while I was using 0.2.9_alpha-r762 although only for one server while the rest had no such problems like a bug in them. So I decided then that there must be a problem with that server settings and it didn't happen once I changed the settings to a ctf type.

Also, if you go into Close Combat Shootout of mine, when a teammate dies, you immediately respawn once the teammate enter the base. So what's wrong with that? It's the second latest isn't it? Then why the hell is it not bugging like you said latest versions would!!

I no I'm not the sharpest mind but I know this much!

I value your advice greatly sine. So please don't think I'm being arrogant here or anything. The others could use that type but as for me, I'm sticking to my sty+ct r763. It hasn't given me problem with respawning teammates by entering their base.

Also Sine I'm not offended by you calling me a "kid". I'm glad someone out there still thinks of me as a kid :D
Child_of_blood
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Child_of_blood »

Lover, the "bug" Sine is referring to is not the inability to respawn teammates/enemies by hitting the base, but one found at the end of a round. Ordinarily, once the last teammate/enemy dies, there is a several second span between "Player 1 was core dumped by Player 2" and the "Blue team has won the round". During this pause, you can respawn your enemies, and thus force the round to continue. The "bug" in question is that the round is ending nearly immediately after the last death, rather than after a few seconds, which removes some of the tactical part of the gametype, and make some strategies nearly useless.
-`S_Serenity Clan >>Visit Us!<<

-`S_Caladbolg
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

mmm...

Sine didn't explain it clearly then.

Well so far I didn't meet THAT kind of bug either but wouldn't that have something to do with FINISH_TYPE command?