Competition for the creation of a logo for my company.

Anything About Anything...
Fate
Average Program

Re: Competition for the creation of a logo for my company.

Post by Fate »

The Problem i have with sine's is it's pixels would you like me to pen tool it in illustrator so that its a vector? and I'm almost done with my version of it. post it soon.

Edit here's the extremely rough draft teacher got mad that i wasn't doing my project. I was thinking having the CM initials but have the end extend out to a Stock market'esk graph and having it rise by Cleveland marketing and for the favicon have it be the CM with the increasing arrow or just an increasing arrow as the favicon. what do you think/should i continue this idea tomorrow or just drop it?
Attachments
Cleveland rough.png
(9.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Fate wrote:The Problem i have with sine's is it's pixels would you like me to pen tool it in illustrator so that its a vector? ... I was thinking having the CM initials but have the end extend out to a Stock market'esk graph and having it rise by Cleveland marketing and for the favicon have it be the CM with the increasing arrow or just an increasing arrow as the favicon.
My logo is a vector -- on my machine. I gave him the rough draft at his specified dimensions in pixles because I'm not just going to release source files without compensation. This is what professional designers do, which I have been for 15 years, and you are not. So keep that in mind for future reference. Give clients proofs, not originals.

The "Stock market'esk graph" is totally cliché for a marketing company. And, your design too is just a variation of mine. Where is your inspiration? And if you haven't noticed, the competition is closed. Gene stole creativity he didn't have.
Fate
Average Program

Post by Fate »

thought i'd give it a shot just for practice I'm 17 and in high school i want to become a graphic designer thank you for the tip and if you have any others for me feel free to share, I'm just beginning my career etc. but thank you for the constructive criticism :).
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Fate wrote:...thank you for the tip and if you have any others for me feel free to share...
Yes. Get a subscription to Juxtapoz. Create a deviantart account (you probably have one I'm sure). And most importantly, draw every day. Now, if you actually want a job as a graphic artist, then you need to follow trends. Communication Arts is a good place to check out the work of your peers (well, one day they might be your peers).

Good luck.
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

I'll make you some logos if you change the company's name to Clarketing.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

sinewav wrote:...if you actually want a job as a graphic artist, then you need to follow trends.
I don't have a lot of practical experience but I think if one wants to be really outstanding in his field, he shouldn't follow trends. I mean, it's important to have talent, some basic concept and know enough about design, but if you actually want to shine out of the mass you'll have to do something different, and do it better than the mass. Or is that completely unrealistic? :s
Of course not everyone could have come up with something like VW's "Think Small" campaign but it's the kind of advertisement that you'll remember long after all VWs are gone.

(if you mean 'trends' as in 'involving social media in marketing' etc., nevermind)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Word wrote:
sinewav wrote:...if you actually want a job as a graphic artist, then you need to follow trends.
...I think if one wants to be really outstanding in his field, he shouldn't follow trends.
I didn't say anything about being outstanding in your field. I said follow trends if you want a job. There is a big difference. One of the most frustrating things about being an employed designer is the sheer lack of creativity involved. You become a vehicle for someone else's ideas and usually those people are just trying to imitate their more successful competition. You can't have any attachment to your work because it will ultimately be destroyed in a board meeting, haha.

But you are right about trying to shine out from the masses. That's why I suggest staying in close touch with other artists and popular culture and drawing every day. Most designers have to lead a dual life: you design crap at your job so you can support your design ambitions at home. A lot of my friends are artists and we've all had to do the same thing. Occasionally some of your ideas leak into a national campaigns.

Not to get off track, but there is a danger of being too outstanding. When your art becomes very well known and popular you run the risk of defining the zeitgeist. And when that time passes, well, you will be forgotten (until your work becomes "retro" sometime after your death).
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

apparition wrote:I'll make you some logos if you change the company's name to Clarketing.
I was going to make a stupid joke, maybe even a logo-like graphic about...
Clarks.png
...but then I discovered this: Clarketing Unified Marketing Consulting. Har!
Fate
Average Program

Post by Fate »

Thanks for the tips guys, and ya I'm not the best at drawing sadly but I'm fairly good with the Adobe CS5 suite (except dreamweaver i'm still learning) I've had experience with Maya and 3ds max, I go to a Technical campus for 4 hr's a day where i take a Visual Imaging technology class and am improving every day. I am contemplating doing free lance while being a digital arts teacher or get a vocational degree and teach at a building like the one i attend now, I've been an intern and taught basic photoshop classes. My dad thinks i'd be good working at a company like Imagination and design simple displays for things such as car Gauges and displays but you never know.

I've gotten accepted into the Art Institute, CCS (college for creative studies) and Kendal is pending but i dont have the money for that I have to pay my own way through college and my Parents make to much money for a good amount of financial aid.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I dropped out of the Art Institute because that franchise is total garbage (don't get me started on how bad it is. In fact, everyone I knew that went there dropped out except for this one chick). Unfortunately, artists are disposable in our society, so I would recommend choosing your college on price alone (the cheapest). Just having a degree gets your resume past the first round of cuts, and that's pretty much all it's worth, so don't spend a lot of money on it. Everything else is based on your web portfolio, so make it shine.
Fate
Average Program

Post by Fate »

ya that's what I've been told, Syre also says Art Institute is awful, CCS sounds like it'd be good but that degree is not worth 200 grand. I was thinking going to a university that offers a decent or better art programming and major in Graphic design/art and minor in business.

I appreciate all the help and tips though, senior year is so stressful when people hound you about your future and college etc.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

sinewav wrote:
Fate wrote:The Problem i have with sine's is it's pixels would you like me to pen tool it in illustrator so that its a vector? ... I was thinking having the CM initials but have the end extend out to a Stock market'esk graph and having it rise by Cleveland marketing and for the favicon have it be the CM with the increasing arrow or just an increasing arrow as the favicon.
My logo is a vector -- on my machine. I gave him the rough draft at his specified dimensions in pixles because I'm not just going to release source files without compensation. This is what professional designers do, which I have been for 15 years, and you are not. So keep that in mind for future reference. Give clients proofs, not originals.

The "Stock market'esk graph" is totally cliché for a marke ting company. And, your design too is just a variation of mine. Where is your inspiration? And if you haven't noticed, the competition is closed. Gene stole creativity he didn't have.
And Gene looked at his final product and recognized the need for a pro to do this. Sine is right, you should only be giving me proofs and you should be compensated for each image. I am going to compensate the winner, and yes the competion is on, said compensation will be negotiated between the winner and I. It turns out that the image you are posting here will not be usable on a site. However, it will give me an idea of the effectiveness of the image. An image like sine made that has a "CM" separate from the text would be ideal. It is the CM that will mostly be used, alone or combined in a banner.
To start with, I will need 1 or 2 sizes that I will specify to the winner. The greatest likelihood is that I will need 5-6 sizes in the next month, and more later. Also, I will attribute the artist with a website link at the bottom of many of the webpages that the logo will be used on. I also, if the artist is interested, send more business of my own to the artist.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
ItzAcid
Match Winner

Post by ItzAcid »

For art-related education, I really like SCAD :).

/spam, sorry.
Won Tourneys/Competitions: WWG4 (Hmm, need more braggage like Durka)

Oo oO
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Fate wrote:The Problem i have with sine's is it's pixels would you like me to pen tool it in illustrator so that its a vector? and I'm almost done with my version of it. post it soon.

Edit here's the extremely rough draft teacher got mad that i wasn't doing my project. I was thinking having the CM initials but have the end extend out to a Stock market'esk graph and having it rise by Cleveland marketing and for the favicon have it be the CM with the increasing arrow or just an increasing arrow as the favicon. what do you think/should i continue this idea tomorrow or just drop it?
The more I look at it, the more I like your ideas, fate. The rough draft shows a lot of potential, as does your idea for a favicon.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

:x Go away you shyster!