Ladle 53

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Ladle 53

Post by Desolate »

Anyone else notice the competitiveness of the top half of the bracket? The same amount of 2-1 matches as 2-0 matches.

Also Ladle was about 5.6 hours long Oo (using z-man's recordings as a point of reference)
-*inS*-
Round Winner

Post by -*inS*- »

Gz and gms CT, nice to see you guys back on top.

I had fun despite playing horribly, SP will be back stronger next month :p.

Oh and nice play at the end of the quarters Zap, that kill won you guys the match.
akira
Core Dumper

Post by akira »

Congratulations CT.
Was quite intense and you adapted properly to the sweepbox.
Gaz
Round Winner

Post by Gaz »

thx :D yea sweepbox was fun to play against...when we lost to you all first match i was like uh oh....just didn't feel right, then we turned it around.
sufy
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by sufy »

Desolate wrote:Anyone else notice the competitiveness of the top half of the bracket? The same amount of 2-1 matches as 2-0 matches.
Yeah, while mYm easily swept up the bottom half 2-0 :D

good, incredibly long ladle :)
matchbox53
Round Winner

Post by matchbox53 »

sufy wrote:
Desolate wrote:Anyone else notice the competitiveness of the top half of the bracket? The same amount of 2-1 matches as 2-0 matches.

good, incredibly long ladle :)

Yes it was so long when it was done it was 4:30 am in my time , But worth it :D
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

Gms Swift and CT and gz to CT. I'm kind of glad SP lost to CT because it's good evidence that the sweepbox is just a delaying tactic, not a get-the-job-done tactic.

@SP nice playing with you guys! Sorry I sucked, but you guys did real well. I was very impressed by our almost comeback against CT and the solid mindset you had throughout it. WD's
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

I just want to explain why CT did what we did in the semifinals.

For those not in the loop, we were playing PL when two of their players left. They wanted to get free kill to join their team as a sub but I said no. A few rounds later, they got a 5th pl guy to join, so we played the remainder of the game with 5 pl members against 6 ct members.

Here are my reasons for that decision:
Substitutes may be added until the start of the semi-finals. After the semi-finals begin, a team needs the approval of the opponent to add a substitute.
This rule states that they need our approval to add a substitute.
2. I was really annoyed at PL because one of their members had been spamming and harassing us at the start so I wasn't in the mood to do them any favors.
3. Admittedly, some of this decision was also based on my desire to win. CT hasn't won any ladles for a while, and I didn't want to do anything that would put a ladle win in jeopardy.

Regardless, of what happened, I have to say, I enjoyed most of our game, and you guys played very well with the amount of players that you had. I look forward to playing you guys in the future and hopefully then you can have a full team.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

syllabear wrote:
Z-Man wrote: [quarter_ctmbx_pl_vs_tx.aarec 67772kb 6707s
lol
Well, that's the one with half the following semi in it, so it's not as bad as it sounds.
INW wrote:I still wonder what happened that round of the 2nd match where I was driving straight without a wall infront of me and suddenly my bike poofed and it said I committed suicide.
Recording and timecode to fast forward to?
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

Gz CT! A long overdue win, but you were the better team against us for sure. Zap: I've never willed someone to die so much in ladle before, that last round was ridiculous :o well done!

Thanks Poke for playing with us, hope you enjoyed fofo's singing, you played well :D

It seems people are keen to not bring the extra player drama here which is good, but it would probably be wise to discuss this at a later date. I was under the impression it was general etiquette to let new players join if they hadn't got enough players - but let's think about this another time

See you all next month!
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

owned wrote: 3. Admittedly, some of this decision was also based on my desire to win. CT hasn't won any ladles for a while, and I didn't want to do anything that would put a ladle win in jeopardy.
Admire your honesty, though I believe with the true desire to win one must enable the other team to remain fully competitive. Nevertheless, gz ct!

The major flaw with the sweepbox resides in the 6 v 3 situation appearing on the other end. It simply shields off one zone entirely, for a limited amount of time. I believe the psychological impact, the other team's attackers feeling useless and not knowing where to cycle, is it's true value. With a stable set of attackers, who maintain an overview of the situation and survive and attack the sweepers rather than focusing on penetrating the defence, it's most effective. Else, you'll just end up with a player disadvantage and are forced into defending.
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

Z-Man wrote:
INW wrote:I still wonder what happened that round of the 2nd match where I was driving straight without a wall infront of me and suddenly my bike poofed and it said I committed suicide.
It was during the 2nd match of the finals.

I'll download the recording to see what happened and post a timestamp for you.
Kijutsu
Match Winner

Post by Kijutsu »

Good games to everyone we played. I was sick by the time we got to finals knowing I had to be in the train 4 hours later, I'm jealous of syllabear losing in semis. -_-
pike
Round Winner

Post by pike »

Congratz CT :D especially to new nabs: MB, Cronix & Gazelle
PokeMaster wrote:it's good evidence that the sweepbox is just a delaying tactic, not a get-the-job-done tactic.
I hoped sweepbox would die after Ladle 49-50, but it didn't happen. I think it's still a pretty good tactic for weaker/incomplete teams but it won't win you Ladles anymore, so let's hope we'll see more open tactics from now on :)
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

Z-Man wrote:
The second match starts around 2000 seconds.

It happened when the scores were near 70 or 80 in the 2nd match. I don't have time to watch it up to then but I would say 3000 seconds is a close bet.