IRC for Beginners

Anything About Anything...
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

IRC for Beginners

Post by MrsKsr »

I made this quick tutorial over on our clan site and figured it might be useful over here too, so here goes;

I've decided to make this topic because a lot of people who connect to IRC do so via webclient, which is fine, but somewhat inefficient if you want to spend a lot of time on IRC. I mean, who wants to have their browser open alltimes, right?

Here I'll attempt to make an easy tutorial for those who have never used an IRC client before.

Due to the fact that I like XChat and it's one of the more simple yet effective clients, I'll be using this for the tutorial. I'm sure then when you get to grips with IRC you'll change clients if you can't stand this one heh.

Windows
If you're on windows you can get the XChat IRC client from
~~ http://silverex.org/download/

Mac
If you're on a Mac you can get the XChat IRC client from
~~ http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11070/x-chat-azure

Linux users can obtain XChat in many ways, for ubuntu users you can do this via the Software Centre.

After Installation

Once you have installed XChat and run it you should have something that looks like this (slight variation between OS);

Connecting to Freenode

To connect to freenode, the IRC network all arma related channels are on, you should click on;
XChat --> Network List

When you have done this a box should appear;

Fill in all the information at the top with the nickname you would like to use to connect.
Then, scroll down until you find "Freenode" (As highlighted in the picture) and click "Edit".

At this point another box should appear;

You should leave the section "Servers for Freenode" as is and you can also tick the box named, "Use global User information".

You'll also want to tick the box named, "Auto connect to this network at startup". This will mean that the next time you launch XChat it'll connect to Freenode without you having to manually do it.

Once you have done that you can click the little button with [...] next to the "Favourite Channels" section.

After doing so you should see a box like this;

Once inside you can click "Add" to add all the channels you would like to connect to.

Here is a list of some regularly used Armagetron channels;

#armagetron
#armagetron.pickup
#armagetron.tourneys
#swift-clan
#team.unk
#rogue.tronners
#crazy-tronners

(The # at the start of the channel names is important, don't remove it).

When you have finished adding the channels you would like to connect to, you can press okay, then press close on the Freenode box as well. Now all that is left to do is click the Connect button on the Network list and you should be well on your way to connecting to Freenode.

Extras

Once you have connected to Freenode there are some things you can do to make sure your name doesn't get taken by someone else.

You can register your nickname by registering with NickServ.

For more information simply type;

/msg NickServ help register

and follow the instructions.

I hope this was useful for some of you and happy IRC-ing!
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one;
I hope some day you will join us, and the world can live as one"

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

I believe that to truly love is the ultimate expression of the will to live.
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Re: IRC for Beginners

Post by Mkay1 »

This is neat, and well explained. This should 100% be put on wiki, as the wiki does a bad job describing how to actually join(from tge last time I checked). Thanks koi!
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

For windows users, I recommend XChat-WDK, which is regularly updated unlike silverex.

http://www.xchat-wdk.org/home/downloads

Also: shameless plug into an xchat script of my own. It lets you gain more control over highlighting rules(for stuff you want to be notified about) and ignore rules(for hiding chat/anything that you don't want to see). hilight-ignore++
ItzAcid
Match Winner

Post by ItzAcid »

This is great, and agreed mkay. The first time I used the wiki to connect to IRC, it didn't help hardly at all :X. Nice tut :)
Won Tourneys/Competitions: WWG4 (Hmm, need more braggage like Durka)

Oo oO
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Aw, shucks, I was expecting satire.

Oh, and MrsKsr, look out! Your computer is exploding!
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

Heh, it's a picture I took at Bonfire Night this year :)
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one;
I hope some day you will join us, and the world can live as one"

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

I believe that to truly love is the ultimate expression of the will to live.