"inb4 butthurt"

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Kijutsu
Match Winner

"inb4 butthurt"

Post by Kijutsu »

Fortress sucks, that's why the growth is minimal.

inb4 butthurt
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Mb53's server: changes and improvement

Post by compguygene »

Why I don't play in Ladles, or in Fortress servers for the most part:

The community has become so elite, its just not fun anymore. I am not the only person to say this. You can argue all day long that people can learn, join, etc., but I still maintain that unless the community is open and accessible to new players, growth will continue, but the pace of growth will be slow at best.

Let me put it to you another way
Why do I, (and a lot of other people), have more fun playing HR/DF than Sumo/Fort? It's the community, the chat. Actual interesting conversations. What a concept! I go to a sumo server, everybody is under smurf names and nobody has a meaningful conversation. I go to MB53's server, the competition is so serious, that there is little joy in it. What ever happened to having fun? Is this game so serious now? Really?

I could go on and on about what it was like to play in Fortress Cafe, but I think we have all heard enough about it. It's really up do you guys to decide to have fun or not.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

compguygene wrote:I could go on and on about what it was like to play in Fortress Cafe, but I think we have all heard enough about it.
Oh no, please go on you old timer. We'd all love to hear your stories about Fort Cafe. :roll:

Sounds to me like you can't handle any level of competition. You only play this game for the social aspect (obviously, you just want to chit-chat in HR servers, probably about fake moon landings and zero-point energy... and HR servers are perfect for that since no one engages each other and there is no danger of your chat-bot dying, not that it would matter since playing HR is like being in permanent spec mode, haha). Here is a heads-up for you: games = competition. You are here to socialize, not compete, so don't go around accusing others of being elite and snobby because you can't hang with the big boys.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

sinewav wrote:
compguygene wrote:I could go on and on about what it was like to play in Fortress Cafe, but I think we have all heard enough about it.
Oh no, please go on you old timer. We'd all love to hear your stories about Fort Cafe. :roll:

Sounds to me like you can't handle any level of competition. You only play this game for the social aspect (obviously, you just want to chit-chat in HR servers, probably about fake moon landings and zero-point energy... and HR servers are perfect for that since no one engages each other and there is no danger of your chat-bot dying, not that it would matter since playing HR is like being in permanent spec mode, haha). Here is a heads-up for you: games = competition. You are here to socialize, not compete, so don't go around accusing others of being elite and snobby because you can't hang with the big boys.
Ah yes, you must punch below the belt, like always, sine. No, I can handle the competition. You sir, and others like you cannot ever take any sort of potentially constructive criticism. No problem. I suck at tron and will always suck at tron. There. Enough of that. (I have never said the moon landings were fake, by the way). Why must you answer any post I make that is a viewpoint other than your own with what is really a personal attack? Could it be that when somebody says something that is really against your viewpoint, that you must prove your point by belittling them?

With HR/DF, I was just using an example. No need to go further. Obviously you represent the majority view, and the "tyranny of the majority" seems to rule around here at times. So, no need to respond to my post. I am just an idiot that has no useful thing to contribute to this, or any other discussion here, with the sole exception of posts of bugs and/or support.
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

And this, MB, is why I told you I wouldn't read this topic :)

P.S.
Compguygene you have changed a lot... :/ Miss the old Gene, but oh well.
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one;
I hope some day you will join us, and the world can live as one"

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

I believe that to truly love is the ultimate expression of the will to live.
Kijutsu
Match Winner

Post by Kijutsu »

compguygene wrote:Why I don't play in Ladles, or in Fortress servers for the most part:

The community has become so elite, its just not fun anymore. I am not the only person to say this. You can argue all day long that people can learn, join, etc., but I still maintain that unless the community is open and accessible to new players, growth will continue, but the pace of growth will be slow at best.
How is the community not "open"? You don't have to login to play fort anymore in the ONLY crowded fort server, and anyone is welcomed and encouraged to play pickup. Hey, wanna talk open communities? Funny coming from an ID member.
Let me put it to you another way
Why do I, (and a lot of other people), have more fun playing HR/DF than Sumo/Fort? It's the community, the chat. Actual interesting conversations. What a concept!
I think what you're looking for is a chatroom, not a videogame.
I go to a sumo server, everybody is under smurf names and nobody has a meaningful conversation.
Are you reading what you're saying? WHY do we have to have meaningful conversations in a GAME?
I go to MB53's server, the competition is so serious, that there is ~little joy~ in it.
Wait, MB's server has competition? That for me proves that you never play there because with 9v9 it's an unorganized fuckfest on the grid. Infact, that server has so little competition for me that I see little joy in it. Hence why I prefer pickup, because it's more organized and competitive.
What ever happened to having fun? Is this game so serious now? Really?
The only one who's taking it far too seriously and as a result isn't having fun anymore, is you.
I could go on and on about what it was like to play in Fortress Cafe, but I think we have all heard enough about it. It's really up do you guys to decide to have fun or not.
Dude, you entered that server like twice when it was popular. Besides, if you thought n00bs got harassed now.. it was a lot worse back then.

Honestly compguy, I know you're a nice guy with good intentions but your mind has been clouded by certain people and things.
arilou
Average Program

Post by arilou »

MrsKsr wrote: Compguygene you have changed a lot... :/ Miss the old Gene, but oh well.
vogue wrote: Honestly compguy, I know you're a nice guy with good intentions but your mind has been clouded by certain people and things.
sinewav wrote:
Sounds to me like you can't handle any level of competition. You only play this game for the social aspect (obviously, you just want to chit-chat in HR servers, probably about fake moon landings and zero-point energy...
[ Image snipped. This is not an image board --epsy ]
"Day after day, alone on a hill, the man with a foolish grin is keeping perfectly still" --- Billy Shears
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

compguygene wrote:You sir, and others like you cannot ever take any sort of potentially constructive criticism.
Well, I guess we're not the only ones :) Too bad we're not all as perfect as the little secluded sect you guys seem to have created.

Perhaps you should leave the posting to those who are adept to do so. Quoting and posting random pictures doesn't count.
Quite funny, however, that the one being attacked in the picture is a C-ock.

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Interesting to see the responses to my post. No problem. As stated, I suck and obviously I am an idiot doing nothing but causing trouble here... To those reading this post, I say two simple things.
1. If you don't agree with the consensus here, you are an idiot like me. Be sure that you don't post about it, you will just get put in your place.
2. I am not claiming to be perfect, or even necessarily correct. What I am saying is that any time that anyone here tries to show what is a different viewpoint about this game than the one held by those with the loudest voice here, it generally is torpedoed very quickly. The "open" that I was referring to was the openness of the community to alternate ideas, etc.
I suppose that I should have known better. Let's face it, sine, MrsKsr, Vogue, etc. all represent the majority views here, or so it seems. Sine can insult, berate, or belittle to his hearts content, and if anybody says crap about it, they are the troublemaker and idiot. So, as such an idiot, you will all be glad to know I am just shutting up, which is what you all would prefer anyway. Heaven forbid anyone should ever have a dissenting opinion and voice it, because dissent is not tolerated.
Nelhybel
Round Winner

Post by Nelhybel »

+1 to Compguygene & Arilou (you never fail to have appropriate pictures for every occasion)

Anybody who stands up for what is right on these forums or in this community is personally insulted and slandered by an elite few who hold total influence over a boisterous minority of people.

For those of you in the silent majority, next time you are in a server, and you see this nonsense taking place; when you see gentlemen acting ungentlemanly; when you see babble passed off as the norm; when you see people aggrouping to insult others; ask yourself, "Do I really want to be a part of this?"
Feel free to contact me here or on the grid if you would like assistance or support in beginning a relationship with Jesus Christ.
---
uNa| United Noobs of Armagetron Forums
-=}ID< Immortal Dynasty Forums
_~`Ww_ Wild West Forums
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

If your "alternate idea" is to take a great game and turn it into a chat room where we discuss the meaning of life, then no Socrates, you're not going to find many people open to that.

These "elite" players have spontaneously dialed back the closed competition model in favor of a more open game -- one that's now more open that it's been in a year, thanks to the elimination of authentication in public Fort. That's amazing and it makes me proud to be part of a successful, self-regulating system. And the argument about auto_team? A minor detail.
goofy-kid wrote:For those of you in the silent majority, next time you are in a server, and you see this nonsense taking place; when you see gentlemen acting ungentlemanly; when you see babble passed off as the norm; when you see people aggrouping to insult others; ask yourself, "Do I really want to be a part of this?"
Cool story Che.
epsy

Re: "inb4 butthurt"

Post by epsy »

This is disheartening at best. Split and locked.
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

I don't know what you guys think goes on in this community, the fort community that is, but being as you're not a part of it I honestly feel like none of you have any room to talk. You actively cut yourselves off from everybody then get upset when people don't agree with you? You put the community down whenever you come here, for reasons beyond my understanding, then act shocked when people have something to say against that? Get real.

There are no mobs here, no people forcing people off servers and away from the forums. If you actually took the time to play in the server I'm sure you would have noticed that all mods and admins, including myself, actively encourage new players to play, regardless of how irate the oldies get at times.

I just find it weird that everything posted in your name must be paramount and any response to it is considered to be insulting or an effort to further push you further away, when in reality you suffer from the very same thing you accuse us of. Being unable to take criticism at all.