Fort Cup - Discussion Thread

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Fort Cup - Discussion Thread

Post by INW »

Creating 3 USA teams does not increase the chance of winning.

Splitting the USA into what, three teams?, will also split the skill correct?

That means you won't have one great USA team. Instead, you will have 3 ok or good teams.

It all depends on how you weigh the pluses and minuses.
fingerbib
Core Dumper

Post by fingerbib »

PokeMaster wrote:I've always been in favor of 1 team max per country. (At least for this fort cup. I believe for the first too, but I'm not sure.) It's a friggin' battle of the countries. Those with more players already have a larger pool to choose from (quantity feeds quality), why make it even more uneven and give those same countries even more teams to play with?

And another objection to multiple teams: Assuming that multiple teams from a single country would be relatively the same in talent, why dilute the best players among other teams rather than concentrating them into one best team?
It depends how you split them. Either way, Poke already covered it.
he said.
Kijutsu
Match Winner

Post by Kijutsu »

Mkay1 wrote:Agreed spin, exactly my reasoning
That's a flawed reasoning. European countries merge in a logical way because they don't have enough players, America doesn't have that problem so there's no reason for more than one team except for selfish people who desperately want to play in this tournament.
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

I've been against team merging from the start, almost as much as one country fielding many teams, and here's what I said about it in my post on page 7:
Titanoboa wrote:As for merging countries like for example Hispanics or East Europe, that's fine as a temporary solution until there are more players.
Splitting a country isn't going in the right direction. The USA is way ahead of the other countries when it comes to player quantity, however letting countries team up to be able to represent their geographic area* of the world would be a step in the right direction, since that means more parts of the world are participating. Whenever a country has enough to manage on their own, they will!

As for me personally, I'd much rather wait for and focus on a Swedish team, but I'm willing to play for a Scandinavian or Nordic if there's 5-6 of us, but only until we can field a Swedish team.

*The hispanic team is an exception here, but they have their arguments for teaming up and it's fine as the one exception. That is, until Spain can field their own team and South America theirs.
wap
Round Winner

Post by wap »

Don't you see the difference between prohibiting a country to split and prohibiting countries to merge?

In the USA, players have at least the chance to prove themselves and make it in the team. However, if you're in a country without enough players, you don't have that chance. It's already clear you can't participate.
Look at MB53 for example, when we're going with this rules, he doesn't even have a chance playing in this tournament, while all Americans do have that chance.
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

I would like to point out that borders really are just lines on a map. If there are a high concentration of players in some national boundaries and a lack of players in lower concentrated national boundaries, then I cannot see why we can't divide and combine areas so that players are united into geograpical regions (be it a country, a region or a combination of countries) which enables a high level of participation from all tronners.

It's not fair to have countries combined into a team such as a middle eastern team, and not allowing players from the USA to combine themselves into smaller regions and forming teams.

If we are to pursue the "elitist" elements of this concept, as Titan puts it, then I'd vote for the competition being restricted to countries. So, unfortunately that means one team for USA, and one team for Sweden - but not Scandinavia.

I vote for teams to be geographically divided to provide a fair representation, allowing countries to combine and divide where appropriate
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

þsy wrote:So, unfortunately that means one team for USA, and one team for Sweden - but not Scandinavia.
I'd be 100% for that. It's what I really want and I think what's best for the tourney.

Merged teams would be a compromise, but an acceptable one in my book (as opposed to splitting any country, but we've been through that)
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

Sorry, I was on vacation for 4 days basically, and I should have definitely gotten this done sooner. Wiki update incoming soon. (How's the forum situation liz?)

I fielded 8 teams here. I hope that sylla updated all sign-ups, but if you are missing please let me know. Some American players were put on other teams that they may have played for last year, or have ties to. The hispanic team needs one more player, I'm sure they can find one on their own. If anyone has a problem with being team leader, or the team leader for their country, let me know. You may still talk to your respective team leaders for the countries and join an existing team.

At this point, we might consider skipping the group stage and just having an 8 team bracket for the championship.

Team USA East:
Team Leader – Woned, Insa
-Deso
-Eckz
-Spin
-Elmo
-Spook
-Hi/Kairo
-Over
-Mkay-1
-Gazelle
-Ritsuka
-Corn
-Kingnoob
-Apollo
-Hurricane

Team USA West:
Team Leaders – Poke, Apparition
-Slick
-Loki
-Envy
-Nelhybel
-Bmg
-Durka

Team UK:
Team Leaders – Psy, Dariv
-Syllabear
-Flex
-Toy
-Potter
-Nani
-Hoax?
-Fingerbib

Team Switzerland:
Team Leaders – Zat, Safariskater
-Rugkei
-Nubilous
-Eber
-Swiss
-raph

Team Hispanic:
Team Leaders – Gonzap, Puuquie
-Beer
-garisimo
-chah
-garial
-Nuby

Team Miscellaneous:
Team Leaders – Slash, Xyron
- Pike
- orly?
- Animal
- Slov
- Killerbees19
- Wraith
- Noob13
-MB53
-Titanoboa

Team France:
Team Leaders – Fofo, 3B
-Luffy
-Subfocus
-Voodoo
-Kult

Team Germany:
Team Leaders – Dreadlord, Cronix
-Jip
-Aíphaton
-AI
-Vov
-Drhouse
-Word
-Theroze
-Koala
-Akira

Team Netherlands:
Team Leaders - Liz, Lacka
-Wap
-Empha
-Tech
-Olive
Last edited by Desolate on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

Did I sign up too early or something
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

Guess so, I meant to add you like I did with hoax
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

edit: nvm...........................
Last edited by Mkay1 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

It's not been updated since I've been away all weekend :/

Thankfully only 2 updates were missing which were adding roger to UK
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

Thanks sylla, at this point, we have two options.

2 week tournament, last two weeks of November - group stage first week, 2 groups of 4, top 2 advance to a 4 team final, which seems pretty redundant.

Having one 8 team bracket in the last week of the month seems better.
Cody
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Cody »

Um where am i :<

Your message contains 19 characters. The minimum number of characters you need to enter is 21.
.pRu|Nani
Average Program

Post by .pRu|Nani »

I echo the idea of compguygene. The way I see it, that offers a solution for everyone. It's not every other country's fault that America is so large, it should not be to our disadvantage (by giving the USA multiple teams) where you also have Germany [another country with enough players for multiple teams] only being permitted one.

I'm usually in favour of maximising participation, and having "miscellaneous" teams is fine in my book, where players are limited in their chance to play by means of lack of players, it's much fairer and more reasonable to group those players together to represent a few sparsely represented countries.

Where you have too many players, you should really find a better way of filtering the players that will represent your country. I reserved the last two weekends of this month for this tournament (if I get to play) as the tournament will now (seemingly) be played only on the last Sunday of November, perhaps the USA should have an internal preliminaries competition to determine the USA Team?