how to use /help for multi game server

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
RYON
Average Program

how to use /help for multi game server

Post by RYON »

I'm having trouble with the /help command. I want to use '/help' so players can look at the game list, and see how to submit votes to change games. i was trying to use add__help_topic in my settings_custom but couldn't get it to work.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: how to use /help for multi game server

Post by Z-Man »

Can we see what you tried?
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

RYON
Average Program

Post by RYON »

@ ZMAN
i was in the game..i actually didn't put this in my settings_custom. i was on the grid and typed /admin add_help_topic blah blah blah blah blah....then nothing so i typed /admin add_help_topic game blah blah blah and it said it had been changed so i typed /help...then nothing happend and i typed /help game...and nothing again.

@ jip
sweet...ill try that. thanx guys.

but guys to be clear, was i missing the "description quote marks" and...anything else ?

i need to make it look something like this.

HYBRID /vote include hybrid.cfg
SWITCH /vote include switch.cfg
LOOSE DF /vote include loose.cfg
WORMS OF WAR /vote include worms.cfg

so what i would need to do is add what to it..." to the beginning and end? i dont understand the \ unless that makes a new line but i thought that \n made a new line, so i guess i need some clarification.
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

Yes you need to quote the arguments there.

Code: Select all

/admin add_help_topic "test topic" "this is a help entry just for testing"
should work
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yeah, you need proper quotes and escaped newlines:
add_help_topic game "How to switch the game mode" "HYBRID /vote include hybrid.cfg\nSWITCH /vote include switch.cfg\nLOOSE DF /vote include loose.cfg\nWORMS OF WAR /vote include worms.cfg"
All in one line in your configuration files should do the trick.
RYON
Average Program

Post by RYON »

thnx guys \,,/ >_< \,,/
RYON
Average Program

Post by RYON »

you guys its not working. this is what i have

add_help_topic games "0xff0000SUBMIT A VOTE TO CHANGE GAMES" "0xc0a020HOUSE OF THE NINJA 0xffffff/vote include ninja.cfg \n 0x4080ffCAPTURE THE FLAG 0xffffff/vote include ctf.cfg \n 0x00ffffLOOSE 0xffffff/vote include loose.cfg \n 0x80e040 U.F.O 0xffffff/vote include ufo.cfg \n 0xff0000HIGHRUBBER20 0xffffff/vote include hr20.cfg \n 0xff0000HIGHRUBBER30 0xffffff/vote include hr30.cfg \n 0x80e040WORMS OF WAR 0xffffff/vote include worms.cfg \n 0x4080ffFORTRESS INVADER 0xffffff/vote include fort.cfg \n 0x00ffffLOOSE DF 25 0xffffff/vote include loose25.cfg \n 0x4040ffHIGHRUBBER low accel 30 0xffffff/vote include hrlow30.cfg \n 0xff0000BOUNDLESS 0xffffff/vote include boundless.cfg \n 0x4040ffGRINDERS 0xffffff/vote include grinders.cfg \n 0xe0c040TURN-BASED TRON 0xffffff/vote include turn.cfg \n 0x4060ffHYBRID 0xffffff/vote include hybrid.cfg \n 0xff77ffHR/DF SWITCH 0xffffff/vote include switch.cfg \n 0x800080HIGHRUBBER WAR 0xffffff/vote include hrwar.cfg \n 0xa0e000RACE FIGHT 0xffffff/vote include racef.cfg"

then to show it i should type /help right? i tried /help and /help game idk what else to do
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Meh, looks like a broken feature in sty+ct. Works fine on the stable and experimental branches, but I got no /help output at all in sty+ct.

Also, your game list exceeds the default console output. Maybe break the list into sub-categories so user's aren't overloaded? Oh, and a missing space before "HOUSE OF THE NINJA." 8)
Attachments
helpmulti.png
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It's not exactly broken, but sty had a previous feature that blocks it: /help displays the content of the setting HELP_MESSAGE there. I suppose it's OK if I remove that.
RYON
Average Program

Post by RYON »

so what am i to do? :/
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

Update your server
launchpad wrote:755. By Manuel Moos 1 hour ago

Removing old /help feature, it was blocking our shiny new implementation that is more flexible.
RYON
Average Program

Post by RYON »

so now that i cant do that....i think i have a better idea. in DBD|highrubber they have a big DBD sign inbetween rounds. and its not a ROUND_CENTER_MESSAGE. its something else because when round starts i can page up and look at it again. so that would be nice if i could put all this there ...

0xc0a020HOUSE OF THE NINJA 0xffffff/vote include ninja.cfg \n \n 0x4080ffCAPTURE THE FLAG 0xffffff/vote include ctf.cfg \n \n 0x00ffffLOOSE 0xffffff/vote include loose.cfg \n \n 0x80e040 U.F.O 0xffffff/vote include ufo.cfg \n \n 0xff0000HIGHRUBBER20 0xffffff/vote include hr20.cfg \n \n 0xff0000HIGHRUBBER30 0xffffff/vote include hr30.cfg \n \n 0x80e040WORMS OF WAR 0xffffff/vote include worms.cfg \n \n 0x4080ffFORTRESS INVADER 0xffffff/vote include fort.cfg \n \n 0x00ffffLOOSE DF 25 0xffffff/vote include loose25.cfg \n \n 0x4040ffHIGHRUBBER low accel 30 0xffffff/vote include hrlow30.cfg \n \n 0xff0000BOUNDLESS 0xffffff/vote include boundless.cfg \n \n 0x4040ffGRINDERS 0xffffff/vote include grinders.cfg \n \n 0xe0c040TURN-BASED TRON 0xffffff/vote include turn.cfg \n \n 0x4060ffHYBRID 0xffffff/vote include hybrid.cfg \n \n 0xff77ffHR/DF SWITCH 0xffffff/vote include switch.cfg \n \n 0x800080HIGHRUBBER WAR 0xffffff/vote include hrwar.cfg \n \n 0xa0e000RACE FIGHT 0xffffff/vote include racef.cfg \n \n 0x60a000COBRA 0x80a000COMMANDOS 0xffffff/vote include cobra.cfg

can i, and how do i?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

mmhmm, that's ROUND_CONSOLE_MESSAGE. Take a look at Wild West Multi-Mode and look at their example (it has voting instructions).
RYON
Average Program

Post by RYON »

@sinewave
i checked it out, i do like the simplicity of how the voting is, that would be nice to know how to make it simple like that but..
no, round console message isnt what im looking for. round console message puts the message right when round starts. i need it to do it between rounds like dbd does and other servers like for example, crazy tronners wild fortress has messages that tell about the next game that is loading and its all before the round starts. i have round console messages already that tell us what game it is that we are playing and they start right when the round starts.