baning words in my server?

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
RYON
Average Program

baning words in my server?

Post by RYON »

is there a way to ban words in my server. im tired of hearing lag, laging, lagging, laggs, laag laaag.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: baning words in my server?

Post by Lucifer »

Spend 24 hours a day, 7 days a week logged in to your server and kick anyone who says the words you want banned.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

Lucifer wrote:Spend 24 hours a day, 7 days a week logged in to your server and kick anyone who says the words you want banned.
I think he just wants to words lag, laging, lagging, laggs, laag laaag to be banned or censored, not the people using them.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Censors are dumb. It's simple to get around them, so there's not even a point.
Boxed
RYON
Average Program

Post by RYON »

yes, i just wanted to censor the word cuz it gets annoying. thats all. but if theres no way oh well
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Silence everyone using that word via script for like 1 minute and magically watch the lag disappear :twisted:

Isn't there some function already in the game code that replaces chars/strings? Like the one converting "0" to "o"? Using something like this for words might be a feature request...

I don't really like word censoring in games though and heh, seeing people saying "huuge [censored] here" will be as annoying as the ones screaming "LAAAG"

And, there are still slides, jumps, teleports, instas, lies, bugs, high pings, freezes, timeouts, disconnects and bad connections... as soon as people realize that they're forbidden to use the generic term "lag", they'll use one of them instead so in case of this word, it won't be useful in any way :P
Clutch wrote:Censors are dumb. It's simple to get around them, so there's not even a point.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

There is a way to do this via a server parser script. Manta, a few years back, did it with Ww servers where you would get auto-banned for cursing 3 times in a given time period, I forget how short the ban was.
Of course, all you really end up doing is teaching people to say l4g or something else like it instead. You have to consider the cultural aspect of this. I punish you for saying lag. Your response: say lag in other ways and deliberately go around the filter. So, you either go to war by adding more variations and misspellings, and they fight back. Oh, and eventually some of your players that make your servers popular refuse to play there (yes this happened to Ww).
So, you could figure out how to do it, others have. However, I would really think about the long-term potential mess that you are creating about one stupid word.
I find the "lag, lag, lag" complaints annoying too, especially when the lag is clearly the fault of the client, not my server. I have a much simpler solution. My favorite insta:
"Don't complain about Lag, us Lag to get Kills". I have found that either getting people to admit that the lag is the fault of their crappy connection, etc. or continually, but tastefully spamming my insta, they stop.
Quite frankly, if I am enjoying the play but the people are too annoying, i just ENABLE_CHAT 0.

To me, the most important thing is to keep players playing i my servers. I prefer to try to be gentle with the moderation, except when on player is just ruining it for everybody. Quite frankly, the 3 most poplular ID servers, ID TS, ID sumobar, and ID Classic HR, have only a few carefully selected mods, the hope is that the "self moderation model" is sufficient. There are times when players are being a little hostile or annoying to me, and I just go play in a server I don't host to avoid that. I would prefer a population of players that like to play in my servers, where even some of them don't really like me, but play the game and keep the server active. Sometimes, as a server owner, that means I just need to let things on the server play out. Many times when I am playing in an ID server and somebody is trolling or being annoying, I deliberately wait for other players to ask me to moderate things. And, in 3.5 years of hosting servers, I have never had to ban anybody. I have only kicked a few players. To me, the day I have to ban somebody, will be a day that I have failed in some way.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

INW wrote:
Lucifer wrote:Spend 24 hours a day, 7 days a week logged in to your server and kick anyone who says the words you want banned.
I think he just wants to words lag, laging, lagging, laggs, laag laaag to be banned or censored, not the people using them.
I think kicking enough people that do that will do the job, if he's persistent enough about it.

- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

How can I automatically ban incorrect spelling and tense conversions like "baning," or lack of capitalization or proper punctuation, or annoyingly-spelled apocopes like "cuz?" I'm tired of reading them. :P
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

1)Threaten that you will ban these things in a round_console_message or centre message.
2)Laboriously look through the logs for instances and ban these players.
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Come up with very exact specifications for your script and pay Luke-Jr or Lucifer to write it.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Guys, I was joking, ribbing on Ryon. Hence the specific references to things he did, and the use of the "razz" emoticon.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Phytotron wrote:How can I automatically ban incorrect spelling and tense conversions like "baning," or lack of capitalization or proper punctuation, or annoyingly-spelled apocopes like "cuz?" I'm tired of reading them. :P
I got the joke and laughed when I first read it.
Infa(mous)
Round Winner

Post by Infa(mous) »

compguygene wrote:Come up with very exact specifications for your script and pay Luke-Jr or Lucifer to write it.
Step 1) Put dictionary in file.
Step 2) Use script to check if words are in dictionary.
Step 3) Word isn't in dictionary. Ban player forever.
-Infamous
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

compguygene wrote:Come up with very exact specifications for your script and pay Luke-Jr or Lucifer to write it.
That's a great idea. We both need the money. :)

- Iron Maiden