Game Client Crashes

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Game Client Crashes

Post by Z-Man »

New build:
armagetronad-0.2.8_soapy20110810.win32.exe

One more potential division by zero caught, but it never happened during playback of your recordings, so I doubt it was a problem. I also added more checks deep down in the code, they too never saw a problem. If this build still crashes as I expect it to, try

Code: Select all

no_fancy_trail_begin 1
This does the same as the settings you reported as non-crashing, just with a smaller gap. Ugly, but it should be playable.

I've essentially given up now :( The reason for the crash must be that we're using immediate mode commands at all, they've been deprecated in OpenGL 3.0 and are gone by now, so I suspect driver developers stopped giving a crap.
Soapy
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Soapy »

So it seemed to work with the code, I didn't play for an extensive period of time but from what I could tell it worked. Is there anyway this could be incorporated into a new release so I dont have to type in that code everytime?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

You can just add the code to your autoexec.cfg for the time being and keep using this build, it's just 0.2.8.3.1 with the specific changes made for testing. I don't think it's something I want added for 0.2.8.3.2, but in the alphas and trunk, this could be a new entry in "Performance Tweaks". Edit: and it is.
Soapy
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Soapy »

Could you possibly post an Autoexec.cfg file for me along with the file path where it should be? I can't find mine, I dont think I have one, I've looked everywhere.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Umm, Ok, it's attached. Goes into the var subdirectory of this: http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... ion_Folder.
right beside user.cfg.
Attachments
autoexec.zip
(197 Bytes) Downloaded 95 times
Soapy
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Soapy »

Thanks for all your help Zman! I know it was a very complicated problem and we still never really got a permanent fix but thanks a lot!
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Don't thank me until you put at least a couple of hours in with those settings, for all I know, the regular wall code is just as crashy in principle, it may just take longer because it has less vertices.

(And the new setting is now in the detail settings. Tweaks are not supposed to change the look.)
Monkey.D.Luffy
Average Program

Post by Monkey.D.Luffy »

Z-Man wrote:New build:
armagetronad-0.2.8_soapy20110810.win32.exe

I also added more checks deep down in the code, they too never saw a problem. If this build still crashes as I expect it to, try

Code: Select all

no_fancy_trail_begin 1
This does the same as the settings you reported as non-crashing, just with a smaller gap. Ugly, but it should be playable.

I had the same problem and it work perfecly with this. I didnt crash the last 2 hours, so, it seems to work. Thx o/
Soapy
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Soapy »

Yup I haven't had any sort of problem with it since I started using that.