Pickup Improvement! :)

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
apparition
Match Winner

Pickup Improvement! :)

Post by apparition »

I love pickup. It's awesome. But I have a couple of thoughts on how to improve pickup, and I bet many of you do as well.

1. The worst part of pickup is the lengthy time it takes to pick teams. Any ideas on how we can speed this process up?

2. Subs: When you !add and sign up for a game, but there are too many players, could the script designate the people who didn't make the cut Sub #1, #2, etc. to avoid confusion on who gets to sub if they're needed?

3. Zone conquer points? I mean, ya gotta admit, it's harder to conquer the zone in pickup than in regular matches for some reason (has something changed in the setup?).
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Pickup Improvement! :)

Post by Word »

There's a simple solution for all 3 points at once. Don't do pickups. :wink:
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

Seriously? Are people not allowed to post on the Arma forums without getting shitty replies anymore?

Anyway, the zone conquer is definitely slower.
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

As far as I'm aware the pickup servers are currently in testing mode, due to the fragrant discussion as of late.
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one;
I hope some day you will join us, and the world can live as one"

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

I believe that to truly love is the ultimate expression of the will to live.
Kijutsu
Match Winner

Post by Kijutsu »

apparition wrote:1. The worst part of pickup is the lengthy time it takes to pick teams. Any ideas on how we can speed this process up?
Could be fixed like tst.eu, automatic teams. You could argue that there will be unbalanced teams this way, but there are unbalanced teams all the time so that's not an issue.

I don't really care for the other 2 points, personally.
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

What if we picked teams in IRC instead of in the pickup server? Maybe the two captains are automatically redirected to a different chat to pick teams? I don't know :)
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

vogue wrote:
apparition wrote:1. The worst part of pickup is the lengthy time it takes to pick teams. Any ideas on how we can speed this process up?
Could be fixed like tst.eu, automatic teams. You could argue that there will be unbalanced teams this way, but there are unbalanced teams all the time so that's not an issue.

I don't really care for the other 2 points, personally.
+1, and to your tst point: Many times the unbalanced teams win then. I don't know why, but it's quite often that way.
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

apparition wrote:2. Subs: When you !add and sign up for a game, but there are too many players, could the script designate the people who didn't make the cut Sub #1, #2, etc. to avoid confusion on who gets to sub if they're needed?
A non issue: Whoever !adds after one game is signed up for the next. Simply see who !added for that one first, and go down the list of who wants to sub in.
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Topic should be moved to Servers > Other (or Servers > Pickup if that happens soon).

I like the captain picking teams. To me, that's one of the main appeals of the pickup format. It's like playing street ball with your friends. I've never seen a problem with subs. They technically aren't suppose to be there anyway, but I think the captains should decide who plays no matter who wants too. Again, like street ball. And the settings are perfect because they are un-Ladle-like. No need for zone points. I think pickup is a great format the way it is. Serious gameplay. Unique, experimental settings. Don't mess with perfection.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

The warmup mode we tested the other day solved this problem hands down, but the overall poor performance on trunk caused us to pull the change back until that can be fixed.
matchbox53
Round Winner

Post by matchbox53 »

I think if we want somewhat a nearly balanced teams we could base it on gridstats of a player connected to your bot that will distribute them evenly . Could this be possible ?
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

epsy wrote:The warmup mode we tested the other day solved this problem hands down
What is the "warmup mode?"
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

DDMJ wrote:
epsy wrote:The warmup mode we tested the other day solved this problem hands down
https://code.launchpad.net/~armagetrona ... nad-warmup
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

matchbox53 wrote:I think if we want somewhat a nearly balanced teams we could base it on gridstats of a player connected to your bot that will distribute them evenly . Could this be possible ?
I personally don't think I want that.
Jip wrote:
DDMJ wrote:
https://code.launchpad.net/~armagetrona ... nad-warmup
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~armagetron ... :/NEWS#L20
dariv
Round Winner

Post by dariv »

I live the idea of allocated teams. It would easily save 5 minutes just like that.
pLxDari - Challenge us!