Silent Rule on pickup server

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Kijutsu
Match Winner

Re: Silent Rule on pickup server

Post by Kijutsu »

FoFo, maybe SP can host their own pickup server so the people who are sick of this rule can go there from now on? MB53 maybe you can help with this? I'm highly against this rule but the admins don't seem to be listening so we should come up with our own alternative instead of keeping the power in their hands. Sort of what Obsi did to Destiny if anyone remembers that.

Silencing everyone because of the few troublemakers who can be individually punished is a ridiculous idea, there are other alternatives. The rule isn't even being fairly enforced because I still see admins and team captains happily chatting in public.
Puuquie
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Puuquie »

I didnt know this. My opinion: for playing with people that can not talk we already have the local game.
Are we human?
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

puuq said it! ban the 'troublemakers' and let us chat. theres always an admin around.. copying the idea would be lame but if this doesnt change i'd support a new pickup server
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

@dariv, Liz:
Didnt you read my post?
Jip wrote:[...] I will enable public chat for the next few days and will run a vote about it then.

Also, we had a pretty constructive discussion tonight in #armagetron.pickup where we figured out different possibilities.

- enable public chat only for referee and captain
- enable public chat for everybody
- give the referee (and captain?) the access_level to change ACCESS_LEVEL_SHOUT
- give everybody the possibility to run a vote about it
Kijutsu
Match Winner

Post by Kijutsu »

Okay, reading your post.
Jip wrote: First of all:
I came up with the silent settings, not to annoy or punish you all but to protect those players who got annoyed by the spam.
There's a silence menu for this.
I wanted to see, if the game quality improves with more silence and it really did.
This is your opinion, not that of everyone else. IMO I don't see any improvement in gameplay, it's the same as before.
The matches became more competetive and the playing was more fun.
Again, the fun part is your opinion. Majority clearly doesn't agree with it.
Is the silence destroying pickup games? No, it improves the game quality!
Your opinion.
Is too much annoying chatter destroying pickup games? Yes, it can destroy some matches.
People can silence eachother clientside, or admins can silence people who refuse to stop fighting.
It always was the aim from the admins to provide a platform for competetive matches. So lets just figure out a way where most people feel comfortable with.
I think we've now concluded most people are comfortable with public chat enabled.
Also, we had a pretty constructive discussion tonight in #armagetron.pickup where we figured out different possibilities.

- enable public chat only for referee and captain
- enable public chat for everybody
- give the referee (and captain?) the access_level to change ACCESS_LEVEL_SHOUT
- give everybody the possibility to run a vote about it
I think you're complicating it, like I said admins can silence and/or ban for a longer period of time or an annoyed player can simply silence the other person. It's not hard.
Seriously, silencing team mates localy in a team game can't be the right way.
There are 4 other teammates who can update you on tactics, so what does it matter if 2 players on the same team have eachother silenced? Gameplay is mostly intuitive, anyway.
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

Yes, it is all my opinion. I also wrote, that I will let you all vote about it.
I asked you if you read my post because
Vogue wrote:[..] I'm highly against this rule but the admins don't seem to be listening so we should come up with our own alternative instead of keeping the power in their hands. [...]
Jip wrote:[...] I will enable public chat for the next few days and will run a vote about it then. [...]
Sorry for the late reply. It is summer and I am not much online the last and coming days.
akira
Core Dumper

Post by akira »

In my experience punishing individuals drew the same if not more ire by them complaining and rallying forces. There is no simple way to deal with the issue except a majority vote at the start of the pickup but let's not go there, picking seems to be too complicated for some people already.
Also I wonder if it really is the majority who wants to remove the global silence, and not just several vocal persons.
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

You will only know that making a poll.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Well instead of where this is going, if anywhere, how about the chat be put back to normal and during their time on the pickup server players keep text down to a minimum.
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

Hoax wrote:Well instead of where this is going, if anywhere, how about the chat be put back to normal and during their time on the pickup server players keep text down to a minimum.
What a concept.
+1
FoFo
Core Dumper

Post by FoFo »

/me agrees with what hoax said
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

Well, since I enabled public chat again, no further match was played :P
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

For the record, the admins do what we feel is in the best interest of pickup, not of social interaction. You can all sit here and complain as much as you freaking please, but the bottom line is the rules we had in place about keeping chat to a minimum were ignored;

~ Please keep silent during picks. Unneeded chatter confuses captains a lot when picking.
~ Please keep chatting to a minimum during pickup matches, in respect for other players.

Now that chat is re-enabled let me make it clear that all admins will be heavily enforcing the above rules. Failure to abide by them will result in this rule taking effect;

~ Admins have the right to distribute bans from the channel for any given period of time for 'disturbing the peace' during games.

My initial intention was to remove chat for a few months to get the point across that I am 100% serious when I say pickup is not a chatroom. There are many other fortress servers, nobody forces any of you to play pickup. When you join our channel and !add up you are agreeing to follow our rules or deal with the consequences. The access_level_chat being changed to 7 was indeed a consequence of continual disregard for rules and pickup etiquette.

If/when it can be implemented /team chat will become default and /shout will be provided for everyone.

That's all I have to say on the matter, the rest is up to you, the players.
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one;
I hope some day you will join us, and the world can live as one"

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

I believe that to truly love is the ultimate expression of the will to live.
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

We come and complain here because we like pickup and we liked it better as it was before. Even you said you didn't like this new rule.
If you don't want to change it fine, don't, but as you said, we can complain if we please. Your server, your rules. If your server has rules nobody likes, your server sucks and nobody plays there.

Pickup without players is nothing, so don't treat us like we have no right of speech on this.
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

If you can't follow rules then that's up to you. I do have the right to say what I want just as you do. If you're getting butthurt over what I said that's up to you but I didn't mention any names, so I suggest you sit back down.

Pickup didn't exist once, it doesn't need to exist, so don't act like I'm not aware of that. Bottom line is we do run the channel. if you don't like it, don't play there or make your own. But don't come here trying to cause an argument for the sake of causing an argument Gonzap.

K thx.

Edit;

I posted what I posted above because there was a need for conclusion. I don't need players questioning our admins every time something they don't like is implemented. This isn't the first time a lack of respect for the rules has lead to a change in them and I'm pretty sure it won't be the last. This is the first time pickup has run in arma this way, it is obvious that things will need to be changed over time to best suit the channel's purpose.

Whether you or anybody else like it or not, pickup has always been in favour of less chat and more gameplay. As of late it became more chat and less gameplay. If the things you have put in place to protect the purpose of something do not work you either change them or fail at what you set out to do. That's not so hard to understand, is it?

You all know that I didn't initiate the channel, epsy did, and one of his in-game policies has ALWAYS been "talk in /team". It was simply a matter of trusting the players, since you're all more than capable of doing so, to show some respect to other players while in game and follow simple common courtesy guidelines. There's already been a thread of this nature a few months ago questioning certain things. It's not like none of the admins listen to what the players have to say, but they do what they feel is best for pickup.

Jip implemented the /team chat and afterwards we spoke about it and decided to keep it that way. I'm sure I've said this before to anybody who has asked. I 100% trust the admins I have help me run the channel or else they wouldn't be there. They have full reign just as I do, from banning right down to changing server config. It's as simple as that.

Nobody said you don't have the right to suggest things Gonzap, but bear in mind that admins are there for a reason other than discipline. With the people we have playing pickup, discipline should rarely be an option, unfortunately that isn't always the case.
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one;
I hope some day you will join us, and the world can live as one"

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

I believe that to truly love is the ultimate expression of the will to live.