Recording

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
dreadlord
Match Winner

Recording

Post by dreadlord »

I've got a problem and I hope you can help me solving that problem.

I am planning to record myself while playing tron. Therefore I want to use a second computer that will be used to record and my first computer obviously to play. My problem is that, when I am spectating myself on the second computer to get the recording and I die, the second computer will jump to another player. Is there any way to prevent the second computer from switching to another player when I die (for example the screen stands still when I die and starts to follow me again in the next round)?

Thanks in advance. :)
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Re: Recording

Post by dlh »

If you're using a client built with debugging support you can use the --watch command line option (not sure why this is only enabled for debug builds).

I have a WATCH console command in my local hack branch that does basically the same thing. I've been meaning to extract it and commit it to trunk.
dreadlord
Match Winner

Post by dreadlord »

dlh wrote:If you're using a client built with debugging support you can use the --watch command line option (not sure why this is only enabled for debug builds).
Okay, is there any negative point when you use a client with debugging support? And where would I get such a client?
dlh wrote:I have a WATCH console command in my local hack branch that does basically the same thing. I've been meaning to extract it and commit it to trunk.
Would that mean that I can use it with a normal client and just would have to type the command in the console? That'd be awesome. ;)

Thanks for your help so far!
dreadlord
Match Winner

Post by dreadlord »

dlh? where can I find such a client?
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

The easiest way to acquire a client with debugging enabled would be to compile it yourself. Debug clients don't have any compiler optimizations enabled, but there shouldn't be a very noticable difference in performance/FPS.

Also, it seems the --watch command-line option only works when you playback a recording. I'll commit the WATCH command to trunk later today, but you'll need to compile a client yourself (or wait for a newer 0.3 release, currently scheduled for 2017 :ghost:)
dreadlord
Match Winner

Post by dreadlord »

arg ^^

I don't really know how to build such a client on my own. :P
Infa(mous)
Round Winner

Post by Infa(mous) »

If you're on windows, i can build one for you. I build trunk pretty often anyways.
-Infamous
dreadlord
Match Winner

Post by dreadlord »

That would be really nice ;)
dreadlord
Match Winner

Post by dreadlord »

Hehe, I just found out that, even if the player you spectated died and another player was spectated, the camera starts to spectate the player you wanted to spectate in the next round anyway. :)
So all in all my problem is solved, thanks for your answer though. ;)