Tron Movie

Anything About Anything...
wallpaper
On Lightcycle Grid

Tron Movie

Post by wallpaper »

I remember seeing the movie "Tron" in the theatre when it came out.
Just wondering if anyone else did. I can't be that old and "uncool"...can I?
Last edited by wallpaper on Fri May 13, 2005 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HTML is OFF
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Yes, I saw it too in the theaters. I remember that it had already been playing for a while, and when my dad tried to buy tickets for me and my brother, the teller refused, because it was a double feature followed by a film that was rather PG 10 or PG 13 (that I cant remember, but I was 8 at the time, and my brother 6). Lots of discussion after, we finally got to see it, promising not to see the second film that we didnt have any intention of seing.
Canis meus id comedit.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

I've never actually seen the movie :o . I should rent it one day.
wallpaper
On Lightcycle Grid

tron movie

Post by wallpaper »

Thhat's good.
I don't feel so "lame" now.
:D
Last edited by wallpaper on Fri May 13, 2005 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HTML is OFF
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I think you'll find that there are plenty of older kids playing. :) Many of us are old enough to have seen it in the theater. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Swampy
Core Dumper

Post by Swampy »

I saw it at the drive-in :D
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Swampy wrote:I saw it at the drive-in :D
Rock on! :) I saw the Empire Strikes Back in a drive-in. It was something like the fourth time I'd been to see that particular movie.

Speaking of drive-ins, when my wife and I were in Seattle, we went to a drive-in and saw Down Came the Spider (or whatever it was called, the "sequel" to Kiss the Girls). That wasn't so very long ago, only 4 years ago, and I think that drive-in is still kicking.

- Iron Maiden
chills
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by chills »

I didn't see Tron back when it was first released. I probably saw it first on video in 1984. In college, though, our campus cinema showed Tron on film one weekend, and I went to that. Looked great on the big screen :D

It's one of my favorite movies, ever.
chills (249)
aka .5. (32) and Lawmune (22)

My current web browser of choice is Opera 8. Check it out!
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

I saw the movie on the first day it came out. Probably the first showing. I was a weirdo with a superstition that I had to see the very first showing of anything sci-fi back then. That superstition collapsed on one of the star trek movies when circumstances prevented me from getting to the first showing. So I chucked it for a new one. See a movie every Tuesday. (I did that one for years. It was only 2 bucks a local threatres on Tuesdays)

Anyway, I sat down for Tron. It had been a bit of a stressful day, and I was dehydrated. Perfect conditions for a migraine, which I got. I couldn't actually see most of the screen for almost the whole movie, as I was experiencing severe aura symptoms. Imagine pieces of the image missing, and kaleidoscope flickering in the rest of of what you can see. I heard the movie. The aura subsided with about 20 minutes of the movie left. I made the decision to stay in my seat and watch the next show. The only problem with that is after the aura comes the extreme pain of the migraine. I could see the screen now, but could barely tolerate the noise, and looked at the screen in a squint. Overall, it sucked as a movie experience, but was quite memorable at the same time. good times. I've never really watched the movie since then. I've seen 5 minutes here or there on the tube, but never watched it again.

I later learned how to manage the migraines, and most importantly, how to avoid them. Back then however, I was often victim to the worst they could dish out.
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

Never seen te movie... Let me check if emule network has it available...

edit: Ok, it's in queue... (IMDB rating: 6.4)
hybrid
On Lightcycle Grid

he

Post by hybrid »

i went to cinema and of course i like still a lot the movie.
Freewheelin'56
Round Winner

Post by Freewheelin'56 »

Yup, saw it when it first came out. Got the new dvd also when it was released. Still like it. :D
Freewheelin'58 I want Goshdarn back!!
Great Googly Moogly
ROCK
Average Program

Post by ROCK »

I just watched it for the first time yesterday, and boy did the graphics stink, and the light cycle scene wasn’t even the real staple of the movie. It wasn’t even a cool cycle match, a couple of n00bs could have duked it out better than that. I also felt the action was dog slow, is it just me or do processes in a computer happen in the nanosecond range, while all their little vehicles were moving about a foot a minute, I thought that cool looking satellite transpotamahoozit would go really fast…. nope. Most scenes weren’t even CGI, as I thought they would be, instead they were backlit and cell shaded. Aside from all that though, it is an interesting movie and I enjoyed catching all the technology nuances they added here and there, that I doubt people understood back in the day, (for the most part that is). And one thing I loved about the movie was that awesome desk, I need to get me one of those. J
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Here's some facts about the movie. :)

First, they didn't qualify for any Academy awards because they used computers for the special effects (I think they built one model, the solar-sailer).

Second, they shot the movie in black and white. *ALL* of the color you see was added by their computer.

Third, they had to put in each scene for each frame into the computer, they didn't have luxuries like we have today of being able to make the models once and then just animate them. They had to create everything from scratch for every frame, essentially.

Fourth, that's what accounts for the color changes. CLU is yellow and the bad guys were something else, green? It was halfway through the movie that they did the red/blue thing.

Fifth, you notice no panning shots? They bolted the camera to the floor on a stand.

Sixth, the laser room is a real room in some university somewhere, I forget where. The door to the vault was also real, and while shooting that scene, the girl (I forget her name) stepped in some toxic waste. I forget the rest of the story.

Seventh, it was the *first* movie made with a computer. And they had to pioneer everything. So saying the CGI looked like shit, they had, what, a CRAY-2 available back then? 16mhz processor, some small amount of RAM (I remember it being 512K but I could be wrong), 16-bit, that was supercomputing when this movie was made. Movies are still made using many of the techniques that were pioneered to make Tron, and besides Star Wars, Tron is the movie that has affected modern moviemaking the most.

So yeah, there are definite problems with it compared to new movies, just like the old Charlie Chaplin flicks had problems compared to movies a decade later. But Tron was still a big accomplishment that was sorely underrated.

(The only problem I have with it now is the shitty script. "Come on you SCSI data be in there!" Jesus, couldn't they think up better lines than that?)

Oh yeah, and of course you know you play too much armagetron when the light cycle sequence in the movie doesn't feel right....

- Iron Maiden
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

I saw it in the cinema and yes im that old and uncool 8)
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif