I am new

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Jip
Round Winner

Re: I am new

Post by Jip »

sidewall wrote:@Realplayer1 Do you know how to double-bind? If not you wont survive long.
There are quite a few very good single binding players on the grid.
sidewall
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by sidewall »

Jip wrote:
sidewall wrote:@Realplayer1 Do you know how to double-bind? If not you wont survive long.
I know, but it's better to know how to double-bind because it's handy.
Armagetron member
Puppetman

Post by Puppetman »

Just enjoy the game my friend. Enjoy the game, watch others, and anticipate their actions.

Most of all though, just enjoy :D
sidewall
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by sidewall »

Puppetman wrote:Just enjoy the game my friend. Enjoy the game, watch others, and anticipate their actions.

Most of all though, just enjoy :D
Enjoy and survive :mrgreen:
Armagetron member
dreadlord
Match Winner

Post by dreadlord »

sidewall wrote:
Jip wrote:
I know, but it's better to know how to double-bind because it's handy.
I don't agree to that, I am only single binding and for me there is no reason to complain about a lack of handiness. Whatever the case, I think every player has his own opinion on the positive and negative side of single or double binding so you can't really say which type is better.
THEred
Core Dumper

Post by THEred »

DDMJ wrote:I think that more players today need to learn to single bind more often. I find that single binding is easier to manage (except in tight situations) because there are only two buttons so it's harder to mess up.
red
sidewall
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by sidewall »

THEred wrote:
DDMJ wrote:I think that more players today need to learn to single bind more often. I find that single binding is easier to manage (except in tight situations) because there are only two buttons so it's harder to mess up.
And in tight situations it is handy to know how to double-bind.
Armagetron member
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

You don't get the big advantage of single binding then. You learn to avoid these situations in the first place. ;)
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Word wrote:You don't get the big advantage of single binding then. You learn to avoid these situations in the first place. ;)
Just what I was thinking about. With single binding you have to plan your moves much further ahead. Generally I only use double binding in an emergency. Or to switch hands when one gets tired, need to scratch my nose, want to take a drink, etc.
sidewall
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by sidewall »

Tank Program wrote:
Word wrote:You don't get the big advantage of single binding then. You learn to avoid these situations in the first place. ;)
Just what I was thinking about. With single binding you have to plan your moves much further ahead. Generally I only use double binding in an emergency. Or to switch hands when one gets tired, need to scratch my nose, want to take a drink, etc.
Ok, but I used single-binding before and for me it went much better when I used double-binding. But that's my opinion, if Realplayer1 likes to single-bind more then double-bind I will not try to say that double-binding is better.
Armagetron member
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Tank Program wrote:Generally I only use double binding in an emergency. Or to switch hands when one gets tired, need to scratch my nose, want to take a drink, etc.
That's about right for me too. I SB about 90% of the time.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I only doublebind when I want to mock doublebinders. :P

Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

sidewall wrote:Ok, but I used single-binding before and for me it went much better when I used double-binding.
It can be that way around too. I think you have to be a bit twitchier for that to be the case though - so that it becomes in effect a reflex. I remember when double-binding was new, and it certainly was an advantage then. (God I'm feeling old saying that. -_-) Just, because of that twitchiness factor, I think that you can't be as relaxed while playing. My favourite times playing these days are when I'm leaning back, half asleep almost, just enjoying a relaxing cruise on the grid. I'll switch to double binding... actually, I can't think of what makes me switch back and forth. I suppose I just feel like it sometimes.
sidewall
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by sidewall »

I just think double-binding is better for me. I also think that it's handier then single-binding, but that's my opinion and I'm not saying you are playing worse with single-binding then with double binding, it's just handier for me to use double-binding.
Armagetron member
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

sidewall wrote:I just think double-binding is better for me. I also think that it's handier then single-binding, but that's my opinion and I'm not saying you are playing worse with single-binding then with double binding, it's just handier for me to use double-binding.
Take every "double-binding" and replace it with "single-binding", and every "single-binding" with "double-binding" and you get my point of view. ;) Hurrah for sensible conversation on the subject.