Admin Pass

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
Agility
Core Dumper

Admin Pass

Post by Agility »

I am wondering if the 2.8.3.1 servers can still use admin pass? If so how would i set it up?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Admin Pass

Post by Z-Man »

Yes, they can. You just need to build them with --disable-armathentication, which is actually still the default IIRC, just not what our binaries are built with.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

/me encourages Z-Man explain to Agility the benefits and security of authentication over having a neato password.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

No need :) I'm relying on the technology filter here. If he has the knowledge to get what he wants (compile the game), he should already know the drawbacks of the old system (just in case: password transmitted in plain text, one password means communication overhead if one of your moderators goes bad, no way to differentiate between full admins and moderators) and know specifically why he wants it regardless. If not, well, the next step is to tell him how to almost get the functionality of the old system back.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Z-Man wrote:No need :) I'm relying on the technology filter here. If he has the knowledge to get what he wants (compile the game)....
Thing is, that may not apply here. If I'm not mistaken, it's 'scene' who is hosting and handling all the technical stuff; Agility is mostly just administering the server (and even in that area I've been working up the physics and some other settings with him). Correct me if I'm wrong, Agility.

Whatever the case with Agility, the general case is becoming fairly common with all this commercial hosting. My understanding (which, admittedly, may be incomplete or flawed) is that the individuals renting the servers don't necessarily need to know how to compile the game or any of that (and may not be able to), but just interface with a control panel. So, you may want to reevaluate those sorts of "filters," as you put it. :)
scene
Core Dumper

Post by scene »

Yeah not going to re-compile anyways, I understand how much more secure armathentication is :P
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

See? That situation has even more of a filter, the competent host :)

Ok, so on to plan B. Configuration:

Code: Select all

local_user admin <password>
user_level admin@ 0
Then login with "/login admin@" (make it an instachat, maybe), enter the password at the prompt, and you have the same rights as before. You can hand out the password and the procedure to as many people as you like. And you can have the password stored on disk in your user.cfg (hashed, of course. If someone steals your user.cfg, he can log in with it, but won't know the password.)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Z-Man wrote:See? That situation has even more of a filter, the competent host :)
In this case, anyway.

By the way, broken code tag things.

Z-Man wrote:And odd, since when are edits stealthy? Is that just so for moderators?
Appears to be.
Last edited by Phytotron on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Phytotron wrote:By the way, broken code tag things.
Fixed, I'm often typing one-handed these days. And odd, since when are edits stealthy? Is that just so for moderators?
Agility
Core Dumper

Post by Agility »

I never thought of using local_user thanks Z-man. Also Once i make a paypal account im going to have someone host me a server so this will be usefull :)