Classic Sumo League

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Classic Sumo League

Post by Desolate »

Wiki Page: http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... umo_League

Despite the trend towards failure of past leagues that we have held, I'm going to try and organize one based off of Classic Sumo, 1v1v1v1.

The league will be organized into tiers with a full ranking system. The top tier will hold the 8 highest ranked players based on the scoring system which will be explained later. The second tier, or the middle tier, will include the next 16 best players, and finally the lower tier will hold the rest of the participants in the league. The initial placement of competitors in the league could be based off of the the placement in the sumo bar tournament, or everyone could start at zero.

The scoring system will be based on a certain number of points assigned to each player based on his/her rank. For example, if we take the finalists from the sumo bar tournament:

Wap - 64 points
Potter - 63 points
Woned - 62 points
Titan - 61 points
Slov - 60 points
Liz - 59 points
Chah - 58 points
Lycanthrope - 57 points

The ranking is clear based on the amount of points each player has. Points are awarded in the following ways:

- 1 point for beating a player of a lower rank than you
- Point(s) awarded for beating players of higher rank than you - if Woned beat Wap, he would gain 2 points
- Point(s) lost for losing to players of lower rank than you - Wap would have lost 2 points
- 1 point for winning the match
- lose 1 point for losing to a higher rank

Therefore, 2 sample matches:
64 – gain 4 points – 68 points - beat 3 lower ranks, won the match
58 – gain 5 points - 64 points - beat 2 higher ranks, lost to higher rank
60 – lose 1 point - 59 points - lost to higher rank and lower rank, beat higher rank
62 – lose 7 points - 55 points - lost to 2 lower ranks and 1 higher rank

59 – gain 8 points – 69 points - beat 2 higher ranks, 1 lower rank, won match
61 – gain 1 point - 64 points - beat 1 higher rank, 1 lower rank, lost to lower rank
63 – lose 5 points - 58 points - lost to 2 lower ranks, beat lower rank
57 – lose 3 points – 54 points - lost to 3 higher ranks

And the rankings would change:
1 – liz
2 – wap
3 – titan
4 – chah
5 – slov
6 – potter
7 – woned
8 - lycanthrope

Up for discussion whether people start with same amount of points at start or we base the rankings off of SBT. Players may fall into lower tiers or be promoted based on their rankings. At the end, there will probably be a full tournament based on the final rankings.

I guess after we discuss the full idea, we can decide whether to hold matches during the week, only on the weekends, or whatever people can do. I'd prefer having at least two matches per person each week.
Last edited by Desolate on Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slickster
Round Winner

Re: Classic Sumo League

Post by Slickster »

Sounds awesome, i'd love to partake in this.
I would reccomend starting all from 0 tho. It's only fair because some people may have not been able to make it.
For example, olive. Olive woulda been up there in the final 8 i'm sure.
Furthermore, some people may have had off days or bad servers.
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

I like it, also needs a lot less players for a match than any fort league.

I think that points system might be too volatile though, maybe have a set amount of points for losing to a lower rank/beating a higher rank?

Say 1 for losing to a higher rank, 3 for losing to a lower rank? And vice versa.
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

I'd prefer not to start at 0 slick, as it creates too much of a barrier when people lose while they're at 0. It's degrading to go into negative values. I was thinking some higher number.

I see your point potter, I'd think 2 and 2 would be fine for set values, makes the rankings a bit less jumpy.
Slickster
Round Winner

Post by Slickster »

You're right Deso that make sense. I didn't necessarily mean 0 though. Maybe have everyone start at 20? Just a set value for some would be beneficial in my opinion...
Cronix
Match Winner

Post by Cronix »

Obviously you should not go below 0 :D
Signature? wtf...
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

Slick: you wouldn't be complaining about point rank if you had made semi-finals. No, the server was not great, but the problem was clearly on your side, as some people had 20 ping ( teen)
FoFo
Core Dumper

Post by FoFo »

i definitly like it :)
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

but i didn't participate in the tourney. i got 0?

nice idea btw
Cronix
Match Winner

Post by Cronix »

Gonzap wrote:but i didn't participate in the tourney. i got 0?

nice idea btw
the cool boys dont have points :D
Signature? wtf...
dariv
Round Winner

Post by dariv »

Really like this idea. Point system might need tweaking, sounds a bit harsh if you just have 1 bad day and lose like 20 points.
pLxDari - Challenge us!
Gaz
Round Winner

Post by Gaz »

Yea Deso i love the Idea and ill gladly take part in it :)
Fini
Core Dumper

Post by Fini »

same question as gonzap
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Sounds more like a ladder than a league though :)
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

dariv wrote:Really like this idea. Point system might need tweaking, sounds a bit harsh if you just have 1 bad day and lose like 20 points.
The plan was to make that impossible, by matching players up against other players of around the same rank. With the constant 2 points lost or gained, it would prevent a severe loss of points due to a bad day or other circumstances.

Yeah, I guess it is more of a ladder, but I feel like that will keep the interest and activity up for the participants. It also separates the players in terms of skill level after a few matches, so players can fight against players near their skill level.

edit: One more point for discussion: If a player is unable to attend a scheduled match, should they be penalized, how much? People will most likely have to say when they are available the following week, so I can adjust the schedule accordingly, and this would be if someone can not attend a match that they never stated they couldn't.

Players can start signing up here: http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... umo_League

Tell your clan-mates and friends in-game :) Let's get some big participation