Big win for gay marriage in New York

Anything About Anything...
moonraker

Big win for gay marriage in New York

Post by moonraker »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110625/ts_ ... ge_newyork

Congrats New York State for demonstrating the better angels of our nature :D Equality for all, it's been a long time overdue.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Big win for gay marriage in New York

Post by Word »

you registered here 6 months ago just to inform us about that?
nsh22
Round Winner

Post by nsh22 »

Word wrote:you registered here 6 months ago just to inform us about that?
word, whats been up with you lately....
he could have registered to use @forums, and might browse here.
Lucifer wrote:I think you got the wrong thread, this thread is the one where we're debating banning sinewav and dubStep until they have a threesome with dubbie's mother.
moonraker

Post by moonraker »

Word wrote:you registered here 6 months ago just to inform us about that?
You're part of the reason intelligent conversation ceases to exist here anymore. Part of the reason I don't post here anymore. If you have nothing positive, nice or constructive to say about such an important topic to our world and humanity, such as this one, then I feel awfully sorry for you.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Just making sure you're not a spambot. :)
moonraker

Post by moonraker »

Nope, not that kind of bot. Nor would I call what I am sharing, "spam." ;)
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

Of all the states that could've legalized gay marriage, New York was probably the best one. Since it's such a populous state, this decision will probably have a big influence on other states and maybe even the federal government.

It's great their finally going for equality :)
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Gz New York :D

Still surprises me how all of your guys provinces haven't made it legal :/
Boxed
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

owned wrote:Of all the states that could've legalized gay marriage, New York was probably the best one. Since it's such a populous state, this decision will probably have a big influence on other states and maybe even the federal government.
Except that most everyone on the center-right (and even some who count themselves "Democrats") regards New York with nearly the same level of contempt and irrational hyperbole that they do California. Seeing who they consider their arch enemies legalize something they believe is evil ain't going to sway them in favor of it. Have all the gay marriage bans (written into State Constitutions even), which far outnumber states where it has been legalised, swayed you in favor of that position?

So, while this is certainly good news (and a cause for which I have and continue to actively work—here, not in NY, obviously), you'll excuse me if I'm a bit more pessimistic, or at least guarded, about its national impact. It remains to be seen whether it'll even stick. Indeed, it's every bit as likely it will cause a reactionary backlash, as such measures have thus far demonstrated to, emboldening the anti-gay, anti-marriage equality movement.
Clutch wrote:Still surprises me how all of your states haven't made it legal :/
Fixed. :roll: (Technically, four still designate themselves commonwealths.)
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

Phytotron wrote:
owned wrote:Of all the states that could've legalized gay marriage, New York was probably the best one. Since it's such a populous state, this decision will probably have a big influence on other states and maybe even the federal government.
Except that most everyone on the center-right (and even some who count themselves "Democrats") regards New York with nearly the same level of contempt and irrational hyperbole that they do California. Seeing who they consider their arch enemies legalize something they believe is evil ain't going to sway them in favor of it. Have all the gay marriage bans (written into State Constitutions even), which far outnumber states where it has been legalised, swayed you in favor of that position?
I'd first like to clarify that when I say "Of all the states that could've legalized gay marriage, New York was probably the best one," I am referring to all the states that realistically, when looking at the political situation in the states, could have legalized it. Of course it would be great if Texas came around and legalized gay marriage, but we know that won't happen for a long time.

The reason I think it's so good that NY legalized it is two-fold:
1. 20 million people live in the state, and New York probably has one of the largest gay populations out of any state in the country. So this decision opens up the possibility for a lot of people.
2. This will have at least some impact on other states and the federal government. In the coming months/years, undoubtedly polls will come out in which an overwhelming majority of straight people say that the act had no affect on their life. This will further combat the idea that legalizing marriage will further degrade our society.

You do make a good point in that the fact that people see New York as a bastion of liberalism will mute the effect that this ruling will have on the rest of the country.

While you did not directly address this point, I do think it's important to mention that there is good reason to be optimistic about the future of gay rights in America. Those against gay rights are overwhelmingly older, while the young are in favor of it by large majorities. As time goes on, the amount of people in support of gay marriage will continue to increase, and I don't think it's unrealistic to see a constitutional amendment in the next 25 years. (Am I right in thinking that the federal government has no right to legalize gay marriage without amending the Constitution due to the 10th Amendment?) Of course, until that time, we will undoubtedly see many more states pass same-sex marriage bills. The good thing is that the rate at which states have been legalizing it has increased.

This graph shows my point rather well: http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~cook/mova ... s_f_1.html
noob_saibot
Round Winner

Post by noob_saibot »

Cool plot! Would be interesting to hear how they obtained their data, sample size, etc. Either way nice to see a few Columbian's on here ;) and a James Bond fan wow, awesome!
WINNER OF: Ladle 47 .... preSsure's mom & Durka's mom

"If you're not part of the freaks, you're part of the boredom." -Perry Farrell
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Alias accounts are only accepted as long as they're not used as sock puppets. Just saying, no special reason.
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

owned wrote:In the coming months/years, undoubtedly polls will come out in which an overwhelming majority of straight people say that the act had no affect on their life.
Pun intended?
FFIIXXIITT
Match Winner

Post by FFIIXXIITT »

Z-Man wrote:Alias accounts are only accepted as long as they're not used as sock puppets. Just saying, no special reason.
/\ Wow cool really? /\

As far as gay marriage goes eh... I don't want to be intolerant but i don't personally think that they should be able to have a traditional marriage and that an alternative form of marriage should be made available to them with reasonable respect to those who's religion is directly opposed to the gay culture as a whole. I am not extreme enough to be a homo hater or a homo phobe but I agree that the traditional form of marriage is reserved for a man and woman.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

FFIIXXIITT wrote:
Z-Man wrote:Alias accounts are only accepted as long as they're not used as sock puppets. Just saying, no special reason.
/\ Wow cool really? /\

As far as gay marriage goes eh... I don't want to be intolerant but i don't personally think that they should be able to have a traditional marriage and that an alternative form of marriage should be made available to them with reasonable respect to those who's religion is directly opposed to the gay culture as a whole. I am not extreme enough to be a homo hater or a homo phobe but I agree that the traditional form of marriage is reserved for a man and woman.
Your losing my respect faster than ice melts in a microwave. :|
Phytotron wrote:State
Oh right. :oops: Forgot about that
Boxed