New build system and a few improvements

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Zolika

New build system and a few improvements

Post by Zolika »

Well, I have rewritten the whole build system and made a few improvements.
Why that? Because I did not like the chaos in the root directory of Armagetron Advanced.
Anyway, I modified the path of the maps. Maps can be found here after installation: $PREFIX/games/armagetronad/maps or $PREFIX/armagetronad/maps

You could take a quick look at the tree here.
You could also check it out via command:

Code: Select all

git clone git://zolk3ri.no-ip.org/0.2.8.git
Click here for informations about building/compiling Armagetron Advanced.

If you have any questions or if you have found any bugs then feel free to let me know. Thanks!
Anyway, I have not tested it on Windows neither on Mac OS X, I don't know if it would work.

Last edited by Zolika on Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Re: New build system and a few improvements

Post by Luke-Jr »

No offense, but this looks far worse than what it was before... and epsy has had a cmake branch for a while.
Also, Armagetron development is done in Bazaar, not Git. You should probably learn to use it. ;)
Zolika

Post by Zolika »

Luke-Jr wrote:No offense, but this looks far worse than what it was before... and epsy has had a cmake branch for a while.
Also, Armagetron development is done in Bazaar, not Git. You should probably learn to use it. ;)
Well, just try it out dude and see that it's easier to use and there is no chaos between files and directories.

I made that way because there is only one Makefile and could build Armagetron Advanced however I want.
There are no crap files and directories just the Makefile, two bash scripts, documents and the source code, the matter/essentials. It is compressed and there are no files and directories that we do not actually need.

Actually, I prefer git personally but later, I will take a look at Baazar too.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Well, it does look cleaner and there's something to be said for that. However, what about some of the other configure flags like --enable-armathentication? With no configure it feels like the flexibility has somehow been reduced, although I'm not sure if this is really the case. Also, how does this hold up against trunk?
Zolika

Post by Zolika »

Tank Program wrote:Well, it does look cleaner and there's something to be said for that. However, what about some of the other configure flags like --enable-armathentication? With no configure it feels like the flexibility has somehow been reduced, although I'm not sure if this is really the case. Also, how does this hold up against trunk?
Yeah, I will add something like: AUTH=true/false or AUTHENTICATION=true/false
Anyway, what do you mean by "how does this hold up against trunk?"?

Hey, take a look at the difference and see why I don't like the "chaos": click here
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Single, plain make file == horrible to maintain. Even in its current form with all the features we actually need (like actually checking the needed libraries and making adaptions) stripped. Sorry, this is very unlikely going to fly.

I do like the file cleanup, though.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

By trunk I mean the current development version: https://code.launchpad.net/~armagetrona ... ronad-work

Like luke-jr and epsy suggested though, I think cmake would be a better way to go than a single make file.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

Tank Program wrote:Like luke-jr and epsy suggested though, I think cmake would be a better way to go than a single make file.
Just to be clear, while I don't object to cmake, autotools seems to be much more mature in general, especially for things like cross-compiling (though epsy's cmake apparently handles that better than our autotools IIRC)
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

The cmake branch is mostly ready apart from the whole OSX part, which I can't do anything about.