ILLEGAL EXIT 02

Striving for unique and challenging game play.

Moderator: sinewav

Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: ILLEGAL EXIT 02

Post by Word »

yeah, great tournament! until next time we practice some more :)
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

LFO goes 2/2 albeit with different personnel. I was glad to see the amount of people who partook.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

:D I want to extend my greatest appreciation to all the participants who made IE02 an even bigger success than IE01.

Team Fail exceeded everyone expectations. I was very happy to see such excellent playing from .Luck (my choice for MVP), Liz, and Vanhayes. I really think the ONLY reason LFO won was because of free kill (dlh = incam beast). That final match was very close and could have gone to either team.

I would certainly like more feedback on how to improve this tournament. It was much better than the previous, but there is still some room for change in the following areas:

Camping. It was WAY down from the last event, which had infinite trails. The new, finite trails created many more opportunities for players to interact (and man was it intense). I really don't think there is more camping than any other deathmatch event, but perhaps it appears that way because the player's perspective is different than what spectators see? Other than increasing the speed (which I really don't want to do) I can't see what else can be done about it. Any ideas?

Note: I told MK to "stay on the end of his trail" one round in the final match when I looked up and saw LFO had 70% of the grid. The new settings have a trail length slightly longer than the perimeter of the grid so you can conceivably push someone into the rim until they run out of room. Just like in sumo, you can compress or expand for the win, so I think this "camping" is a valid tactic.

Score and Timing. The tournament went about 50% longer than I expected. This is mostly because Team Fail didn't fail. :P The score limit seems good, and the double elimination is cool too, but maybe we can change it up for a faster event? How about higher score limit and single elimination? I'd really like to keep the tournament down to an hour. Suggestions welcome here.

Note: Next time I'll raise max_clients so the other teams can spectate.

Also, I had other ideas for Illegal Exit 03 and IE04. I want to do a 4x2 on one grid (4 pairs of players). I also want to do a single player deathmatch (8 max per grid). But this last tournament was so fun, I might have to postpone those ideas for a while.

Finally, it's cool to see people take a chance with incam. Like Liz discovered, it's strange at first but you get used to it pretty quick - and all the experience you have from other servers comes out of you almost subconsciously. But even still, incam levels the playing field a bit, which makes for some interesting action between players of different skill levels and backgrounds.

8) Thanks again.
LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Post by LucK »

ty sine :D

I was verrrryy happy with the way team Fail played. Like 1hr before the tourney I had no1 else on my team and then had a full team and then the two other players had to end up leaving so team Fail basically came together within like 10 minutes b4 the tourney and we did a lot better than i thought. Liz and Vanhayes did great we had a rocky start at first but after Liz and Vanhayes started to get use to it we started playing very well.

Free kill was a beast. He kept coming down our center which completely caught us off guard since no1 else was doing it during the tourney.

The tourney did last a lot longer than i expected but it would be cool to have an increase in teams and a decrease in time. But it was still a great tourney and gz to LFO.
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

The settings are really fine as they are, wouldn't know what to change at this point.

Btw next time post this in the competitions section too? I completely missed this and don't want that to happen again. :D
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Illegal Exit stats are now available on http://gridstats.com.
Concord

Post by Concord »

:D
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Awesome. Thanks man.
fingerbib
Core Dumper

Post by fingerbib »

Great fun as always. Thanks for organising it.

Regarding settings, I agree with Liz. Don't see that much needs to be changed. Camping was drastically reduced and that was the main (only?) problem last time. The single player and 2 man team ideas seem like change enough for next time.
he said.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

fingerbib wrote:The single player and 2 man team ideas seem like change enough for next time.
Over the next several weeks I'll set up the server for 4x2 and SP Deathmatch and see if I can get some feedback. The single-player version might be good for new players who join, because they have a hard enough time with incam (omg I can't see myself!), let alone the team aspect.
Concord

Post by Concord »

52 weeks later? yes yes?! please please?!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Oh man, that would have been good timing had I been paying attention. I don't know when IE03 will be; I haven't been playing too much, only once in the past month. I might be free to play in a few weeks.

Though I'd rather see the Tron League revived instead...
teen
Round Winner

Post by teen »

DMAN IT i always miss this.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

yeah....and the fortress premier league :P
Concord

Post by Concord »

need to work on a better way to run that, took way too much work to maintain (that's mostly why it was just abandoned)