Re: Best Guitarists Evar

Post by Lucifer »

In no particular order:

Nuno Bettencourt
Jay Pepper
Dave Murray
Scott Ian
Paul Simon
Me (really, I play the music I like the most....)
Glenn Tipton
KK Downing
Dave Mustaine
Chris Poland
Paul Gilbert
Joan Jett (I also like Lita Ford, but she didn't make the cut)

Hmmm, I've got a few sleepers to add to the list but have forgotten them for now. Part of it's not knowing names (the two chicks in the Murmurs, for example), and part of it is not remembering songs.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

I am not much of a guitar/music fan so I don't have a list.
Lucifer wrote: Me (really, I play the music I like the most....)
I think you should record yourself and send us the vid!
Monkey.D.Luffy
Average Program

Post by Monkey.D.Luffy »

Lucifer wrote:In no particular order:

Nuno Bettencourt
Oh wow, I checked to see who he is and i found this video:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4npcd ... -sol_music
Thats pretty awesome, thx.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

INW wrote:I am not much of a guitar/music fan so I don't have a list.
Lucifer wrote: Me (really, I play the music I like the most....)
I think you should record yourself and send us the vid!
Well, I just linked this in the other thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY_rx3I4I0k

I've started a small project to turn all my music into vids I can put on youtube. You should friend me on facebook if you haven't already, and watch that space. :)

@Monkey: The song at the end of the first Bill and Ted movie, with the montage in the mall, is "Play With Me" by Extreme. Give that one a listen, it's fairly easy to find on the internet.

- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Hrmm. This topic should be re-titled "Favorite popular/hard rock guitar players." I'm being charitable.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Phytotron wrote:Hrmm. This topic should be re-titled "Favorite popular/hard rock guitar players." I'm being charitable.
What about all the metal guitar players being listed, too?

- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I was lumping those under "hard rock." My point just being, you guys have ignored the majority of other types of music that incorporate guitars. I mean, not even a mention of someone obvious, like Segovia?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Phytotron wrote:I was lumping those under "hard rock." My point just being, you guys have ignored the majority of other types of music that incorporate guitars. I mean, not even a mention of someone obvious, like Segovia?
Why should I name guitar players I don't know in styles of music I generally don't like? That would be silly. I also didn't mention SRV, and I live in ******' Austin Texas. Think about that.

- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

I wasn't asking you to change your responses, but saying the topic title I suggested would be more fitting, given the type of responses this got.

I could've suggested, "Personal favorite electric guitar players in a narrow range of music, specifically hard rock, spanning only the last 50 years or less." But that would've be too wordy.

(And no, I'm not being snotty. But limiting a notion of "best ever" to the above description of what this thread really is, is indeed silly. It would be like saying "Best painters ever!" and only including the well-known impressionists, or something. Best cars ever and only including 70's muscle cars.)
nsh22
Round Winner

Post by nsh22 »

we are stating our opinions, who WE think are the best. no one would have a problem if someone posted some spanish guitarists or some other genre of music. I appreciate skills of any genre, but i happen to listen to metal and heavy metal, hence my selections.
Lucifer wrote:I think you got the wrong thread, this thread is the one where we're debating banning sinewav and dubStep until they have a threesome with dubbie's mother.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Jesus H. Christ, it was just a little comment: The topic should have a title indicating what it's really about, or ended up being about across-the-board (and, for that matter, was possibly the actual original intention). Personal favorite and best aren't the same thing. And neither a narrow subset of music, nor a span of 50 years, qualify as "ever" (until you qualify the statement itself, as I suggested). Call it nitpicking, but it's a true and meaningful distinction. (And, it was initially a short, passing comment, until objections were raised, I think stemming from a misapprehension of what I meant.)

You're an aspiring chef, right? Don't you think it would be silly if someone called for a survey of "best chefs ever!" and the entirety of the responses listed only television celebrity chefs from the past decade or two? (Or am I assuming to much of your culinary education as yet? I don't know its extent. Still, you should get the point.)

And, by the way, I didn't so much as imply anything like, "change your responses! You're not allowed to give your personal opinion on who you like! How come naming Spanish classical guitarists isn't allowed?!" Come on, man.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

It all depends on what you think is difficult. Flamenco and Spanish type guitar is alot of finger picking, which I don't find as impressive as hybrid or full sweep picking.

-edit-

Sorry didn't see the last part. I have no problem with people posting other guitarists other then rock.
Boxed
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Bah. Context is key, Phytotron. It's an internet gaming forum, so the topic is obviously either somebody linking to an article about the best guitarists (where everybody here is going to chime in with their own opinions anyway) or asking people here who they think are the best. It's not like this is the Rolling Stone or anything, and if it were, you'd expect the Rolling Stone to be limited to rock guitar players anyway, because context is key.

- Iron Maiden
XzL.Smart
Round Winner

Post by XzL.Smart »

You guys are all saying 'fast' guitar players. Fast doesnt necessarily mean good. Sure, it sounds pretty cool, but I think the really amazing players are in the classical genre.
nsh22
Round Winner

Post by nsh22 »

I see what your saying and i agree, the title could be more specific like "Best guitarist, in your opinion". but i dont see the big fuss.

(also in regards toyour comment about chefs, yes i am an aspiring chef myself. I would find a survey about "best chefs" a little silly, but i know it would just be an opinion poll, not a serious, analytical discussion about whether bobby flay is better than susur lee or something like that (i hate bobby flay but thats beside the point)
might silently rage is i saw rachel ray on the list but id get over it :P.

also grant achatz ftw. he beats tongue cancer AS A FREAKIN 3-STAR CHEF. like seriously...
Lucifer wrote:I think you got the wrong thread, this thread is the one where we're debating banning sinewav and dubStep until they have a threesome with dubbie's mother.