Japan's tragedy

Anything About Anything...
Olive
Match Winner

Japan's tragedy

Post by Olive »

I would like to read people's opinion on the current events in Japan, as every attempt to a normal conversation irl seems to fail.

IMO, the tragedy is relatively small scaled, but the aftermath is of exorbitant proportions. Many seem not to donate as Japan is considered a rich country, although I believe that is a trivial matter, as there obviously are - as with every tragedy - people in need of help. If it's one's true desire to help, I consider it an injust argument.

Any thoughts/ideas?
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: Japan's tragedy

Post by Lucifer »

We need help with Katrina, so obviously being a rich country doesn't matter. Sometimes you really need help.

So of course we should be helping Japan. They're also a great ally of ours, and a good friend, so we should be helping them on that basis if humanitarian reasons alone aren't enough to justify help.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
nsh22
Round Winner

Post by nsh22 »

hmm didnt know the USA was great friends with japan (esp. after pearl harbour and hiroshima).
regardless of history, every nation who goes through somethinglike this needs both financial and physical support no matter what. Most of a country's finances aretied up in various things so any little buit helps them.

Personally I dont donate to charities (esp the Red Cross) because i dont know how much actually gets to them.
Lucifer wrote:I think you got the wrong thread, this thread is the one where we're debating banning sinewav and dubStep until they have a threesome with dubbie's mother.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

nsh22 wrote:hmm didnt know the USA was great friends with japan (esp. after pearl harbour and hiroshima).
As it happens, WWII was an anomaly in our trade relations with Japan. True, we forced them to trade with us in the early 20th century, but the last 60-70 years have been good years for our relationship with Japan, so that they're actually one of our best friends in the world. Germany, too, and they weren't exactly good friends before 1945.

WWII ended before most of us were born, do we need to keep holding grudges from it? We're in a completely different world now...

- Iron Maiden
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Lucifer wrote:
nsh22 wrote:hmm didnt know the USA was great friends with japan (esp. after pearl harbour and hiroshima).
As it happens, WWII was an anomaly in our trade relations with Japan. True, we forced them to trade with us in the early 20th century, but the last 60-70 years have been good years for our relationship with Japan, so that they're actually one of our best friends in the world. Germany, too, and they weren't exactly good friends before 1945.

WWII ended before most of us were born, do we need to keep holding grudges from it? We're in a completely different world now...
QFT

Japan has been #2 to china in financing our national debt!
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

Being 1/2 Japanese, all of the family on my mom's side lives in Japan. I had a brief period of panic when I heard about the earthquake and the resulting tsunami because I didn't know exactly where in Japan it was. Luckily it turns out they are all ok.

I agree with Lucifer that it doesn't matter whether they are developed or not. The people of the country are in need, and now would be a good time to donate. If you are concerned about where the charity money goes, just do a little extra research and you'll usually be able to find it out.

Here's a good site to start at: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.c ... &cpid=1221
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I have hopes that Japan recovers like a phoenix from the ashes, that's what it did after WWII (like Germany).
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Word wrote:after WWII (like Germany).
::cough::Marshall Plan::cough:: :P
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Phytotron wrote:
Word wrote:after WWII (like Germany).
::cough::Marshall Plan::cough:: :P
Historians and economists aren't in agreement on whether or not the Marshall Plan helped the countries that "benefitted" from it. France, for example, opted out of the Marshall Plan and ran a quicker recovery, even though they were bombed to shit.

The real beneficiary of the Marshall Plan was the US. :)

- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yes, I know. I was only teasing. (Also, making the point that his "Japan like Germany" wasn't quite accurate.)
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Now if only we can convince the rest of our fellow Americans that don't get this about the Marshall plan.

But back on topic. Citizens of the United States of America have the highest rates, per capita, of donation to needy causes. Already, many people are gathering donations of money and materials for the Japanese. I would not recommend donating to the Red Cross, as the Red Cross is notorious for fund raising during emergencies like this and not delivering much to the cause they raised for. This happened a lot with Katrina.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

fortunately japan is far more prepared and advanced in situations like these than any country afaik, it could have been A LOT worse

of course that's an insensitive thing to say because thousands(?) of people died so it's still horrible, no matter how good their building stucture is :)
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I was watching the initial videos of the tsunami thinking "shit, there really isn't anything you can do against that much water." Which is pretty much true. There's nothing, certainly not cost effective, that could have reduced the physical damage. I mean you could big a huge giant wall and probably stave it off somewhat, but that's just not practical. What shows true ingenuity is the planning and preparation that got as many people as possible away from the coast to safe areas. Particularly since some areas had practically no warning at all. Another testament being that we're only really hearing about the tsunami, but almost nothing about the earthquake affecting inland structures other than the nuclear reactors. More good engineering within the cities.

They could still use some help and they'll get it too. Support happening here at the university from the students.
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

The number of people who died could be as high as 18,000 (at the time I actually read that estimate, they said it was not an estimate, but I'm pretty sure it was) - I think the current best estimate is around 10,000 confirmed dead and 18,000+ missing.

The nuclear issue is one thing, but the earthquake and tsunami combination was a global tragedy that occurred not because of terrorism, unpreparedness, mistakes, or otherwise... just a natural, very powerful phenomenon. It makes me mourn, appreciate life, fearful of this happening again or more frequently or closer to home... It's a wrench in the spokes of life for many and yet we feel the wheels of the world keep turning. I guess people deal with things like this in their own ways, like donating, praying, discussing, or even making crude jokes or just plain ignoring the magnitude of what happened... In fact, I don't think anyone really wants to consider the huge loss of life. I mean, it has only been two weeks and many countries and international businesses are publicly wondering where their products and supplies from Japan are... As if they don't realize that we're all pretty closely linked on this planet.

To me it feels like when a loved one dies and you can't comprehend the loss until the ripple effects of their absence hit you directly - then the loss becomes very very real.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Tank Program wrote:I mean you could big a huge giant wall and probably stave it off...
You're thinking like Chinese, not Japanese :P JK

No really, I think one of the reasons this isn't one of the greatest disasters of all time has much to do with the quick and proportionate response of the Japanese people. Every day I am amazed at their character, so full of commitment, perseverance, diligence, and remaining almost stoic throughout the ordeal. It makes me want to be Japanese. If and when there is a similar tragedy here in the Unites States I hope to remember Japan and say to myself "yes, that is how you handle crisis."