Respect

Anything About Anything...
Lord Pein
Round Winner

Respect

Post by Lord Pein »

What kind of person deserves it?
Why should someone care if you respect them or not?

Discuss respect.
http://i52.tinypic.com/11ipyet.png
Thursday July 22nd 2010: Airman's team beat Lizmatic's team in fortress.
DDMJ wrote:Good idea...but what if the arma player is Luke-jr :?
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Respect

Post by AI-team »

I deserve respect.

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

chrisd
Round Winner

Post by chrisd »

We all deserve respect!!!!!!!!!!!

It is not very wise to care about whether you are respected by others.....
Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

chrisd wrote:It is not very wise to care about whether you are respected by others.....
Then why do you think some people use respect as a threat? For example sometimes people say things along the lines of... "People like that (obviously targeting someone) don't get any respect from me."
chrisd
Round Winner

Post by chrisd »

They do that because they are not very wise.....
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

chrisd has spoken the truth once again

and who cares about "respect" on internet??
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
FFIIXXIITT
Match Winner

Post by FFIIXXIITT »

seeing as we are all equal to each-other chrisd is correct of course that we all deserve it and as far as internet respect it helps to maintain a positive environment to all who pass through. peace and love my brothers and sisters peace and love.
ItzAcid
Match Winner

Post by ItzAcid »

My gosh fix, how did you accrue such a high post count after only being registered for less than a month O.o just realized that. Now to be on topic haha: Respect is a right entitled to every individual. The noobs of the world (unwise people, which is each and every one of us. we're all worldly noobs!), however, are too self-glorifying to respect one another. imo.
Won Tourneys/Competitions: WWG4 (Hmm, need more braggage like Durka)

Oo oO
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

You gain someone's respect by doing something they appreciate, or being respected by somebody else they respect. Showing respect is itself appreciated, but know where you direct it, because e.g. showing respect for criminals devalues your own respect from most people. What exactly respect means depends on what you appreciate.

Now don't ask me about the modern sense which is synonymous with boldness.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
FFIIXXIITT
Match Winner

Post by FFIIXXIITT »

Again i stress we are ALL equal and to hold oneself above anyone else regardless of race or creed is delusional for we all live and die in this world in this you and the rest of life on this planet are my equal and thus dissevering of as much respect as there may be. We are not here for illusory degradation we are here to balance ourselves before moving on. Now i know i sound nuts but don’t you think a positive environment in the face of all possible encounters of our own kind (those which live and perceive so) should be prominent?
Wik
Average Program

Post by Wik »

Wisely spoken, Jonathan.

Basically, I respect and honour people who

have deep knowledge of something;
have the ability to do complicated or exhausting tasks;
act friendly, helpful and responsible;
strive to broaden their horizon, show curiosity for the world they live in, and dare to ask "Why?".
(edit: not necessarily all at once)

And i don't care if they care, i respect them because i want to.

Other's respect for me... if one sees it as a status symbol, i don't want it.
Last edited by Wik on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

chrisd wrote:They do that because they are not very wise.....
What makes them unwise for doing so?

When going into a job interview, this concept is implied. If you do something that warrants disrespect from you hope to be boss, will you get the job?
FFIIXXIITT
Match Winner

Post by FFIIXXIITT »

To believe that one is lesser than you or deserving of less respect no matter the condition of you and the person being regarded as lesser is illusory for we all face trials and so when someone seems less deserving of respect based on their behavior, social standing, or beliefs or anything really it only means that their life has brought them into negative alignment for as you have said:
wIK wrote:Basically, I respect and honor people who
have deep knowledge of something;
have the ability to do complicated or exhausting tasks;
act friendly, helpful and responsible;
strive to broaden their horizon, show curiosity for the world they live in, and dare to ask "Why?".
these are all positively aligned behaviors and though they are more beneficial to all they bring about the artificial sense of pride when directly associated with respect and this will turn into a negative alignment. Why I believe we all deserve respect is we are all learning through living this hellish life and not a one of you can say that this life doesn’t suck at least some of the time, I do appreciate those aforementioned by Wik for their behaviors help to align twords the positive but as a warning; pride is ultimately the key to negativity. Those who behave negatively have not been as strong in deflecting their rough times and have reason to act with selfish pride and align negatively and they are the ones who need shown the power of the aforementioned positive alignment.

“Be the change you want to see in the world.”
“Whenever you are confronted with an opponent. Conquer him with love.” -Mahatma Gandhi
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

:roll:

(at the whole thread)
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Agreed, Wik.

As for respecting the elderly, you should. Don't let it get lopsided in either direction. They are experienced and wise, and you have the potential to refresh the world, wash it of bad traditions. You should work in tandem to improve on what they built. Neither of you should reject the other because you simply don't understand, if you can help it. Hint: the elderly are more likely to understand.

FFIIXXIITT: I think you should draw a line somewhere. If somebody murders and steals (to start with an extreme example), maybe they can't help themselves, comparable to the way the paralyzed can't walk. But does that mean you can tolerate how they drain the world?

Actually I wonder where this world is headed with its overpopulation. Eventually welfare goes down as resources become too scarce, and I'd rather not talk about what happens then. As a lucky westerner I probably have no clue about the things that are going on even today.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn