What sport is Football? And Hockey?

Anything About Anything...
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Re: Ladle 42

Post by kyle »

PokeMaster wrote:If packers win, bears get seed #3, right?
Yes
heh :lol:
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

GO CANUCKS!!

Amidoinitright.jpg
Boxed
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

I heard that the superbowl is the poorman's world cup

Either man up and take your pads off (rugby), or play a real sport (football/soccer, tron)
INW

Post by INW »

Real football/soccer is full of panzies faking their injuries.

I almost got hit in the leg, let me fall on the ground, cover mt face and cry like a child.
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

like this?

sure he covered his face with another player, but that counts right?

btw hf in ladle 42 everyone! :)
Cronix
Match Winner

Re: What sport is Football? And Hockey?

Post by Cronix »

Wtfux is superbowl? :o
Signature? wtf...
THEred
Core Dumper

Post by THEred »

PokeMaster wrote:If packers win, bears get seed #3, right?
+1
red
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Comments by psy and INW are equally ignorant and abjectly idiotic.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

As far as I know, American Football is called football because originally it was a running game. You get handed the ball, and you have to run through 30 tons of linebackers, and if you get through them and run fast enough, you can cross into the end zone and score points.

So, ball, foot, run.

And yeah, the pads really are a requirement. In fact, the helmets aren't good enough, football players that were once smart aren't any more. (For any of youse who wants to talk trash about how dumb football players appear, keep in mind that many in the NFL are college graduates, that's how they got there, and that they suffer more head trauma in a week's worth of playing than most of us suffer in our lifetimes)

I won't go into manly vs womanly sports, that's just dumb. A real gentleman's/lady's sport is fencing. Which, coincidentally, also requires safety gear.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Nitpick 1: Well, as I noted earlier in this thread, it's mainly called football because its origins are in British association football, from which rugby was derived, from both of which American football was derived. But, yeah, ball, foot, run.

Nitpick 2: Regarding the size of linebackers, back then the linemen weren't even as big as today's linebackers. After all, we're talking about a lot of over-privileged Ivy Leaguers in those days, not Bubba and Tyrone, heh. (Still, it was violent from the beginning. In fact, after several severe injuries and deaths, Teddy Roosevelt almost shut down the game unless rules were changed to make it safer, leading eventually to the formation of the NCAA.)

You are right about it originally being only a running game. The forward pass wasn't made legal until 1906.
INW

Post by INW »

Phytotron wrote:Comments by psy and INW are equally ignorant and abjectly idiotic.
That wasn't necessary.
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

to answer the topic's question:

i watch NFL sometimes on ESPN America and i gotta say it looks like fun game and definetely something i would try!
about hockey, its a lil less interesting to watch because i can never see where the pack is (or w/e the "ball" is called xD) but i played hockey before! its hard but still very fun.

i didnt read 5 pages of euro vs usa crap so incase football here was meant as "soccer" - its also enjoyable game but im just too good at it! :D
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
Paladin
Average Program

Post by Paladin »

It is called a puck. Watch a few more games and you begin to develop a knack for being able to follow it and have a decent idea of where it is going to travel too next. Watch some of Ovechkin and Crosby highlight reels on youtube and you can get an idea of how the game can be quite interesting.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

INW wrote:
Phytotron wrote:Comments by psy and INW are equally ignorant and abjectly idiotic.
That wasn't necessary.
On the contrary, it was a well-deserved chastisement.

Your comments displayed an astounding, willful ignorance of the respective games—and, by extension, players and fans thereof—each of you bashed. Further, you both couched it in chauvinism (which may refer, as is its original meaning, to nations and cultures, not only gender), sexism, and juvenile machoism. All of the above are clear examples of abject idiocy.

It was your combined comments, in point of fact, that were uncalled for and unnecessary.

Now, go pester someone else, boy. And not on this forum.
Paladin wrote:It is called a puck. Watch a few more games and you begin to develop a knack for being able to follow it and have a decent idea of where it is going to travel too next.
I'm not a hockey fan, but I thought it was neat when they digitally enveloped the puck in that red halo, complete with swoosh effect as it flew around, so people might follow it better. Obviously, I'm in the minority considering they dropped it.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:I'm not a hockey fan, but I thought it was neat when they digitally enveloped the puck in that red halo, complete with swoosh effect as it flew around, so people might follow it better.
I think it would be even better if Hockey was played in the dark, under black-lights, with lots of fluorescent objects. Like cosmic-bowling.