The TRON League

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

raph
Average Program

Re: The TRON League

Post by raph »

I would suggest a faster acceleration for a few reasons:
-It would enable more of an attack strategy
-Slightly discourage camping, or just make it harder. Either or seems preferable to me.
-Leave less opportunities to just back door
-Probably shorten rounds by a bit
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

Magic wrote:What's wrong with camping?
We don't want this to turn into another Crosseyed and Painful Tournament.
Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

The settings are perfectly fine, do not change them.
http://i52.tinypic.com/11ipyet.png
Thursday July 22nd 2010: Airman's team beat Lizmatic's team in fortress.
DDMJ wrote:Good idea...but what if the arma player is Luke-jr :?
afrothunder
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by afrothunder »

Lord Pein wrote:The settings are perfectly fine, do not change them.
Agreed.
Concord

Post by Concord »

I was considering lower the match rounds to 7. I think 7 is sufficient. To correspond, limit_score would be lowered to 35.

thoughts?

also, teams with missing 4ths will be activated tomorrow, remember that players can be added anytime from after the games saturday until thursday.
teams without names, or with names that claim to not be final names will not be activated unless the team captains tells me, or writes on their sign up that indeed the team name is what they want. I wrote this on the sign up as well a couple days ago, but I thought it deserved repeating.
Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

Concord wrote:I was considering lower the match rounds to 7. I think 7 is sufficient. To correspond, limit_score would be lowered to 35.
Wait until we actually have a competition before modifying anything.
http://i52.tinypic.com/11ipyet.png
Thursday July 22nd 2010: Airman's team beat Lizmatic's team in fortress.
DDMJ wrote:Good idea...but what if the arma player is Luke-jr :?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Lord Pein wrote:Wait until we actually have a competition before modifying anything.
I'd say that too. I think it's pretty solid right now.
dariv
Round Winner

Post by dariv »

The only problem is one which exists with all dogfighting that I'm aware of- if your opponent keeps running there is nothing you can do. I remember someone repeatedly digging 0.5 against the wall then turning away. If I follow, I'm trapped at a disadvantage, if I go back, he does the exact opposite on the other wall.

That's why I think with a central, slow death zone to end rounds, two cautious opponents will just wait it out. I can't see an advantage to risking an attack apart from "good sportsmanship".
pLxDari - Challenge us!
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

dariv wrote:The only problem is one which exists with all dogfighting[sic] that I'm aware of- if your opponent keeps running there is nothing you can do.
Sure there is. You get better, first. Then you chase them down, put a good box around them, and core dump their asses. Runners are never successful long-term, except against poor opponents. That includes players who either get frustrated and screw up, or decide they're going to start messing around...and screw up. Additionally, sounds to me like you need to learn how to beat a grind. (This is a "dogfight" server?)
digging 0.5
:roll:

I don't believe in death zones. Despite short-sighted intent to the contrary, they usually reward the so-called "runners" and "campers."
dariv
Round Winner

Post by dariv »

I guess you haven't played on the server, rubber is 1.0, so if they dig 0.5, and you beat their dig, you lose your back-door.

Also acceleration is pretty low so it's hard to chase them down if they do steps whilst running.
pLxDari - Challenge us!
Concord

Post by Concord »

dariv wrote:
Also acceleration is pretty low so it's hard to chase them down if they do steps whilst running.
this a myth. the acceleration value (15) is 60% of the base speed (25). That's not slow, it's rather sensible.
For fortress players who might find this "slow," fortress acceleration is 66.7% of the speed, not substantially higher than these physics.
dariv
Round Winner

Post by dariv »

Concord wrote:
dariv wrote:
this a myth. the acceleration value (15) is 60% of the base speed (25). That's not slow, it's rather sensible.
For fortress players who might find this "slow," fortress acceleration is 66.7% of the speed, not substantially higher than these physics.
It's not a myth, it's an opinion. I found it was very hard to chase someone down.
pLxDari - Challenge us!
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

I put up a Euro server for this on my new German dedicated server, TheServerPharmDE. I also tested the settings, and rather like them.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

isn't acceleration factors just that.. a factor which you multiply by? So anything higher than 2-3 is really getting up there
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

i just grind the rim walls if i need speed there...