Ladle 42 Voting Discussion

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

dariv
Round Winner

Re: Ladle 42 Voting Discussion

Post by dariv »

Is there any agreement to my comment that the final server should be more than 32 man? It seems like common sense to me but I haven't heard any feedback. I don't know if it's a thing that even needs a vote as it's not part of the tournament rules. It would just be good to know we won't have so many people kicked and unable to watch the finals.
pLxDari - Challenge us!
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

3rd and 4th place seeds should be determined by a 3rd place game. Otherwise they should be randomized.
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

maybe we can get ladle streaming up again.

this would resolve the max_clients issue, if only the participants and GM's were to be allowed in the server. The spectators can watch the streaming and discuss on IRC if they wish to?

Any volunteers?
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
dariv
Round Winner

Post by dariv »

How do we watch? Can the aarec be streamed live in a client?
pLxDari - Challenge us!
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

we had a streaming a few ladles ago.

no idea how it works but many followed the streaming, sine and forecast were commentating. I think it was forecasts stream.
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
Magic
Core Dumper

Post by Magic »

Concord wrote:3rd and 4th place seeds should be determined by a 3rd place game. Otherwise they should be randomized.
I agree it's really not acurate anyother way.
ElmosWorld
Match Winner

Post by ElmosWorld »

I know last ladle I had a screen share going, but there were only 1 or 2 people watching it.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

for anyone outside of the usa it was unwatchable
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

Elmo, Sylla, and I used join.me and it wasn't great even for me. I mainly followed along with the score report pulled up than the actual action.

holysh1t.net is Forecast's site that had the Ladle finals streamed with sine's commentation. I miss it.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Magic wrote:
Concord wrote:3rd and 4th place seeds should be determined by a 3rd place game. Otherwise they should be randomized.
I agree it's really not acurate anyother way.
But that's not the purpose of seeding in Ladle. We're not looking for 3rd and 4th place, we're assigning seeds in an appropriate way to stop these teams from meeting each other early the following Ladle. And there is just not enough at stake here for a 3rd place match.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

It was brought up before (like pretty much 90% of the points raised in threads like these), but I think a nice pro of giving the loser to the winner seed#3 and the other semifinalist seed#4 is that it means that (in the case these are indeed the top four teams) seed#3 can show its worth against seed#2 in the next ladle (instead of having to face #1 again).
Concord

Post by Concord »

they should be randomized or determined in a meaningful way.
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

Right now, the seeds are chosen so that any two seeds who played each other in the previous ladle will be on opposite sides of the bracket. So it is being done in "a meaningful way."
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

What Lack said and that I doubt the motivation for a different seed is enough for people to actually play a playoff this time
Concord

Post by Concord »

determine it in a meaningful way or flip a coin

There is no relation between the four seed and the three seed, nothing that means the four seed is any worse.

both the three and the four seeds are either a seed or have beaten a seed. It follows from this that the final four are the best four teams of that particular ladle. However, to rank teams third and fourth there needs to be some relation between them.

A meaningful seed is one that means you beat a seed or a team that beat a seed. The four seed is hopelessly meaningless, but a third place game at least ensures the three seed is better than the four. Or if you don't care, flip a coin and stop pretending.