4000 birds and 100000 fish mysteriously die!

Anything About Anything...
apparition
Match Winner

Re: 4000 birds and 100000 fish mysteriously die!

Post by apparition »

Hahah! Duuuuude, Phyto, you are NOT getting any of these harmless jokes :P
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

No, I got it wasn't your sincere belief that aliens and UFO's were responsible.
nsh22
Round Winner

Post by nsh22 »

could it be from the hail from thesstorms that passed through?

thats what i read (bout the birds anyways)
Lucifer wrote:I think you got the wrong thread, this thread is the one where we're debating banning sinewav and dubStep until they have a threesome with dubbie's mother.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I don't know why folks can't just read the newspaper, or even newswires themselves. You have this great tool at your disposal now, but so much of its content and usage goes to waste and stupidity. (I know, reading and comprehending more than 140 characters at a time, especially when formed into actual, whole words and thoughts, is hard.) Lamenting sigh. Anyway:

BEEBEE, ARK.

Fireworks may have led to blackbirds' deaths
Fireworks probably startled about 3,000 red-winged blackbirds that fell dead from the skies in a small Arkansas tow shortly before midnight on New Year's Eve, scientists said Monday.

The fireworks appeared to have frightened the birds into such a frenzy that they crashed into homes, cars and each other.

"The blackbirds were flying at rooftop level instead of tree-top level" to avoid explosions above, said Karen Rowe, an ornithologist with the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission. "Blackbirds have poor eyesight, and they started colliding with things."

Still, labs planned to test bird carcasses for toxins or disease.

NEW ORLEANS

Expert says mass bird kill likely coincidence
Power lines likely killed about 450 birds in Louisiana that left a highway near Baton Rouge littered with carcasses.

It's certainly a coincidence that it happened within days of a New Year's Eve incident in central Arkansas, Louisiana state wildlife veterinarian Jim LaCour said Tuesday.

The birds in Louisiana died late Sunday or early Monday in the rural Pointe Coupee Parish community of Labarre, northwest of Baton Rouge. The birds—a mixed flock of red-winged blackbirds, brown-headed cowbirds, grackles, and starlings—may have hit a power line or vehicles in the dark, LaCour said.

Mass bird deaths aren't uncommon. The US Geological Service's website listed about 90 mass deaths of birds and other wildlife from June through Dec. 12. There were five deaths of at least 1,000 birds, with the largest near Houston, Minn., where parasite infestations killed about 4,000 water birds between Sept. 6 and Nov. 26.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Concord wrote:who counted them all?
Probably the people who picked them all up :|
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

Phyto, you seem to believe these speculative explanations for what happened with the birds and fish... Do you believe everything you read in newspapers or on the newswires? Experts are still unsure of what happened.
17na
Average Program
Location: Fcon server. you are a true tron fan if you get the reference.

Post by 17na »

Funny how long this thread keeps coming back up here and no one in real life has bothered to bring it up but some dumb hillbilly kid from the locker room bringing it up making fun of it or something.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

apparition wrote:Experts are still unsure of what happened.
Phytotron wrote:Expert says mass bird kill likely coincidence
Ok, so he didn't cite a source. But this doesn't seem to be a serious as when all the bees started dying.
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

sinewav wrote:
Phytotron wrote:likely
This is still speculation even if it doesn't seem serious to some experts... I've heard fireworks, weather, lightning, and now coincidence. No one seems to want to believe it was aliens except me.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Er, sources are cited internally. Everything after "Anyway:" is newswire dispatch briefs I just now copied from our daily newspaper.

More: http://content.usatoday.com/dist/custom ... titialskip

gah
sinewav wrote:But this doesn't seem to be a serious as when all the bees started dying.
Nope, these are isolated incidents, whereas the honeybee die-off is still ongoing and epidemic, with potentially devastating effects on agriculture. Another one: white nose syndrome killing off little brown bats. Additionally, oceanic dead zones.

apparition wrote:
Phytotron wrote:likely
This is still speculation....
Aren't you supposedly a med student or something? Don't you understand how science works?

17na wrote:Funny how long this thread keeps coming back up here and no one in real life has bothered to bring it up but some dumb hillbilly kid from the locker room bringing it up making fun of it or something.
Please, for the love of mike, could you at least try to use some punctuation? (Although, even with punctuation added I wouldn't be able to understand that comment.)
Last edited by Phytotron on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

urgh, submission issues again
LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Post by LucK »

Sorry I killed all the birds I wanted to see if I could kill 2 birds with one stone er it kind of got out of hand.

As for the fish some guy taught me how to fish he told me I could eat for a life time if I learned so I gots my fish but then i realized they would all go bad so I just took 4 and left the rest for the bears. I guess they didn't want them lazy ass bears.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

:) Hahaha! That was pretty funny, Luck. I LoL'd a tiny bit.
LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Post by LucK »

sinewav wrote::) Hahaha! That was pretty funny, Luck. I LoL'd a tiny bit.
ty it was early in the morning and I was hyped up on coffee when I wrote that lol

was just trying to lighten the mood
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

that made me LOL irl for 3 seconds :P wd luck