Just two quick questions.

Made a pack that makes Armagetron sound like a rock concert? Hook us up!
17na
Average Program
Location: Fcon server. you are a true tron fan if you get the reference.

Just two quick questions.

Post by 17na »

One can someone convey to me in a nutshell what the progress is on adding music and a ost?
Oh and im nearing completion on my first engine sound file and does anyone have any tips on making them perfectly loopable?or just tips in general I guess

PS im starting with a heavily edited version of the engine sound from GL tron and using alot of sounds and tones added from scratch.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Just two quick questions.

Post by sinewav »

You read this, right?
http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... oviesounds
It's all you need to know regarding the game.

As far as making a good engine loop, well, it's kind of a challenge. What software are you using? I might be able to give you some tips. Here is one now: Copy a reversed version of your sound-file to end of it. It will make the file twice as long, but you'll have a seamless loop.

Code: Select all

Your sound-file...

|   make a  |  paste to  |
|    copy   |  end and   |
|    then   | Reverse it |
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Not exactly. The signal may line up, but it isn't even differentiable, let alone actually smooth. Sounds are very high-order.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
17na
Average Program

Post by 17na »

Thanks sinewav I have read that but I didnt realy help since I dont have those files created yet and im just creating replacements for the original 2 sound files also it now loops exeptably and now I just need to create a sound for the explosion.What I want to do Is so it sounds fine as the turn effect and sound brilliant for the crashes.What I'm hoping to get it to sound like is an initial blast with a quite electric like feed back echoing quietly and will also hopefully sound good as a turn too.One more question too my knowledge the scrape sound made by riding a wall is hard coded and if im correct it just plays the explosion sound file it a very high pitch.If I am right lets say the script for that is something like this(I have no idea what this game is writen in so my example will look very crude)

when scraping by a wall = true
play>>(expl.wav)
>>Pitch=60

Im just wondering if anyone can get a hacked version of the script so that it requests a soundfile meant specificly for riding by a wall.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Jonathan wrote:Not exactly. The signal may line up, but it isn't even differentiable, let alone actually smooth. Sounds are very high-order.
Right. I'm assuming the sound-file is "in the ballpark" somewhere. I'm an old sample-jockey. It's a good trick I learned back when samplers (and later software) lacked sophisticated loop-editing capabilities.

@17na: You realize you don't need the explosion to be the same as the cycle turning, right? You can use two different files: cycturn.wav and dietron.wav. Just making sure you know that. I don't know about the grind noise though. Jonathan, care to shed some light on that?
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Yeah, I guess that trick is better than nothing.

I don't really know about the sounds in tron, actually. But I looked at the source (0.2.8.3_rc4, the first thing that came up in a search), and found it should be pretty easy to change. Without changing anything, the game has up to two files it looks at (first has priority):
Engine: moviesounds/engine.wav; sound/cyclrun.wav
Turn: moviesounds/cycturn.wav; sound/expl.wav (latter played at 5x)
Sparks: sound/expl.wav (played at 4x)
Explosion: moviesounds/dietron.wav; sound/expl.wav

It doesn't seem to care whether the moviepack is enabled; it just checks all files. So if you use the cycturn and dietron, all sounds are unique. Only sparks still play at 4x. Maybe 1/4 the sample rate will teach it?
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
17na
Average Program

Post by 17na »

Very good idea changing the pitch of the sound it self instead would be good but im not changing the movie pack sounds jsut the two regular ones in hopes of also having the ability to change the anoying screetching sound made by the wall riding.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

So, you want to see the sparks but not hear them?
17na
Average Program

Post by 17na »

Uh im not talking about the sparks at all... im talking about changing the code so if you have something like scrape.wav for example in your sound file directory the sourcecode(Im just now realizing this game is writen in source derp)requests the sound instead of playing expl.wav at a higher pitch.I have no clue how to do it my self and it doesnt sound that hard at all so im jsut wondering if anyone could figure that out real quick.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Well, I figured out a way to do it without changing a single line of code. expl.wav is your scrape.wav. You just have to quarter its sample rate. I know Audacity lets you set it to arbitrary values; it can't be that hard.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
17na
Average Program

Post by 17na »

Well I knew and understood that the moment you told me that but that's now what I want.Sure it a smart idea but now I want the expl.wav and the theoritical scarpe.wav could both be independent instead of having it use the same sound.As of now im ok with expl.wav being the same sound used for the explosion effect and the turn effect but realy it shouldnt be that hard making it play a different sound I would explain it again but I already have now.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

17na wrote:Uh im not talking about the sparks at all...
If you turn off sparks, then you don't heard the scraping. That's what I was trying to say. But you still want to see them and make it sound different I suppose. And when you say "anoying screetching sound [sic]" I think to myself, "well yeah, the cycle trails aren't actually made of rubber!" :P
17na
Average Program

Post by 17na »

well... nevermind making the scripts use a different sound for the wall riding my explanations not realy helping my cause I suppose.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Jonathan wrote:It doesn't seem to care whether the moviepack is enabled; it just checks all files. So if you use the cycturn and dietron, all sounds are unique.
Did you even read this (and the stuff around it)? Maybe I shouldn't waste my free time digging through the source for you next time.

Edit: alright, some more time went in. Found out the spark sound starts over constantly, until you leave the wall. All sounds are unique and behave otherwise. The sparks would just need a source change to play cleanly.

It can't get any clearer now.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn