Starting Up Monthly CTF Tournament

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Wind
Core Dumper

Starting Up Monthly CTF Tournament

Post by Wind »

Hey all,
So all of you that play ctf are aware that its tournaments are pretty much dead. We at ~'U. would like to change that. We are working on getting a wiki page up for sign ups etc. Currently we have 8 US servers available for use as well as a couple of Euro ctf servers. Our hopes are that these tournaments will run smoothly like the ladle has. I have made this post to get a general feel for who all would want to participate in these tournaments. For those that are interested, it would be helpful if you all could leave suggestions for an appropriate day and time to hold these tournaments. As soon as we finish editing the wiki page I will post the link up under this topic. Lets bring ctf back to its golden days.

EDIT: The tourney will be held on Sunday February 13th 2011. The starting time will be same time as ladle time.

----- ~'Untitled Clan.
Last edited by Wind on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud leader of ~'Untitled Clan
http://www.uclan.darkbb.com
Slickster
Round Winner

Re: Starting Up Monthly CTF Tournament

Post by Slickster »

I would love to play in these, just a suggestion tho, don't have it every month to start.
Because you're trying to bring a dead gametype back, start with like every other month for now because of how many other tournaments there are atm.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Yeah I'd have to agree with Slick. You might wanna gradually turn it into a regular event, to see if there's enough interest.
Boxed
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Yeah, start off with one major kickass ctf tourney and have the participants beg for more :D

Anyway, I really support this idea (I'd have done it myself if I had time) and you can expect _~R~_ to play. And win. We might have 2 teams. Maybe 3. Or 4, possibly 5 (I've skipped some math classes in my days so I'm not sure).

Best of luck!
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Titanoboa wrote: ...and you can expect -=}ID< to play. And win.
Fixed.

But seriously, it will be fun to play R >:D
Boxed
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

okay, seems like we have to recruit some ctfers LOL
Wind
Core Dumper

Post by Wind »

Okay I think it makes sense to start slowly. We were thinking of starting it up sometime around February or March. For those that remember our very first tournament a while back.. You will recall that it went by very slow due to lack of organization from the teams and admins. This time however we would like to have more mods/admins to have things run faster. The wiki page should help to organize the teams.
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

Great stuff! The wiki page sounds awesome, and i think anything modeled after the ladle is a good idea. Expect R to be there, like Titan said. Also, we can donate some servers too, though it doesn't sound like you need any currently.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

What really needs to happen is to drive traffic from WW CTF (still the most populous) to this or another forum. You need to advertise the tournament on the server. get people interested. There is really no reason you couldn't have monthly CTF tournaments considering the volume of players that pass through that server.

Are you in touch with Destiny on this? I imagine you are; I could probably see that if I visited lagtest.net more than 4 times a year.
Wind
Core Dumper

Post by Wind »

Oh well I'm glad to hear that people are interested! The more help we can get the better. As far as the servers go I am a bit undecided. Would people want to have them all be U.S based or Euro based servers or should it be mixed? If all servers were to be either solely Euro or U.S based would it be appropriate to have one tournament be 100% U.S while the following is 100% Euro? On the other hand if we were to go with a mix of servers.. the server you get would be completely random. Whether your team benefits from a us/euro server or not would be luck of the draw. Also should the game be a 4v4 or 5v5? Personally I would lean towards the 4v4. To reduce lag experience I feel that max clients per server should be set to 15. Allowing there to be some mods/admins, some subs, and a few specs. Once again I'm throwing these ideas out there now so that I can get some good feedback from the people interested. If you have ideas, comments, or suggestions please let me know.

sinewav: Unfortunately no we are not in touch with Destiny on any points regarding this tournament. Although I am aware that destiny has much more experience than I regarding CTF tournaments due to past experiences advertising a tournament on Ww forums I find it to be better to leave discussion about this tournament on this forums. As last time I was criticized for "slapping dest in the face" when asking if Ww would like to participate in our tournament a year or so ago I have not visited the forums since. Ww has pretty much been running the ctf tournaments since way back when. Now they have seemed to have reduced greatly in number as well as in activity. We at ~’U. have no interest in “running” the ctf field as Ww once had, but rather to bring its popularity back up.
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

Servers: Take a poll on server preference, EU or US. If it's 50/50 (which I imagine it would be), then it should be as even as possible for every tourney. Also, I would say 4v4 is the way to go, as 5v5 gets extremely laggy with wiggles, etc. (so can 4v4).

Ww: Dest handled these tourneys in the past, but she hasn't in a long time, and it doesn't seem like she's planning on it. Honestly, I'd rather have a community run tournament rather than being told when it'll be and not having a say at all.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
regedit
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by regedit »

I dont think that there is a need for US and Euro servers as teams will most likely have a mix. Plus, most euro people are used to lagg.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

specs don't (neccessarily) add to lag, server clients is probably going to be limited by conditions of your server if you are renting them.

GL with the tourny anyway!
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

I don't see any benefit at all from adding a 5th player to a team. Only problems.

Go for 4v4!
Tru
Round Winner

Post by Tru »

If everybody agrees with me.. I think it should be Sunday 6 pm GMT (it is like ladle goes).
Or we can make a poll and vote for best day and time
Image Image Image Image Image Image