help us build a highrubber server

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
RYON
Average Program

Re: help us build a highrubber server

Post by RYON »

@INW that would be sweet INW

cool cool, ya weve kinda been looking for path but so far no luck. i know im thinking we could change something like maybe a different map would be cool, i dont know. still looking for settings. thnx for your replies
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

RYON wrote:...loose and df...
A) What does that crap have to do with anything? B) You'll find even fewer supporters of "open" play than of high rubber on this forum.
i understand you guys think its for noobs. ok, we are noobs, you are much better at this game then us. are you feeling better?...hmm? you are good. your very good, we suck and you are good... How bout now, you feeling better now? your somebody, your special. your not a nerd, your cool. women like you, your not ugly.
A) What does that crap have to do with anything? It's not about any of that childish nonsense. You're the one who got all uppity with the "I guess you guys just don't understand hr" remark. B) You can wipe that snot off your nose now. C) For the love of mike, you're.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

Phytotron wrote:Excuse me?

sorry I meant
Only fortress and sumo nuts here.
and Phytotron
Quoted a too-late edition :P
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

Phytotron wrote:
RYON wrote:...loose and df...
A) What does that crap have to do with anything? B) You'll find even fewer supporters of "open" play than of high rubber on this forum.
i understand you guys think its for noobs. ok, we are noobs, you are much better at this game then us. are you feeling better?...hmm? you are good. your very good, we suck and you are good... How bout now, you feeling better now? your somebody, your special. your not a nerd, your cool. women like you, your not ugly.
A) What does that crap have to do with anything? It's not about any of that childish nonsense. You're the one who got all uppity with the "I guess you guys just don't understand hr" remark. B) You can wipe that snot off your nose now. C) For the love of mike, you're.
Phyto, all you have done in this topic is rant on hr. You have said how bad it is and blah blah hips hips. This topic isn't about that, get your ass out of it, you have no point in being in it. He asked for hr settings and was hoping to get some. I provided some information while you and a few others hated on hr. Why post? Why come to the topic and look idiotic? Why? If you don't have settings or help for him, get your ass out of this topic or fuk yourself.
Really?
It is pretty pathetic that you come to a topic in which you don't even have intentions of handing this guy some help and think to show some authority? Shut that sweaty *bleep* of a mouth and get out of this topic.

Thank you,
Spin

P.S. Yay for getting around the filter!
Last edited by Z-Man on Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Took me a a while to find the filter evasion. Oh, that. I guess you can't say that here.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Quarter-agree on that in the sense of 'get back on topic', rest via PM. Here is someone trying to make a *good* server of a certain kind, anyone who doesn't want to help should get out, and those seeking help should ignore comments of the 'servers of that kind can never be good' kind. I'd help, but I'm in the wrong camp. Oh, one thing:
CYCLE_RUBBER_TIME should either be zero or very, very big, and the CYCLE_DELAY and rubber usage settings should be so that you actually use up rubber if you db 180 against a wall. That allows all those crazy moves you can't properly see the resulting walls of while still making it impossible to survive as long as you care on a single, long, straight wall. Or the rim.
Paladin
Average Program

Post by Paladin »

If you are looking for Path, had you considered actually posting on the dbd forums? Pm'ing him here or on their forums? It generally helps in regards to hunting him down.
http://www.deathbydistraction.net/forums/(.dBd forums)
Agree with putting up custom settings though. Had you considered, to contradict myself, putting up a clone of the old Xzl settings with their blessing? It was the server for high rubber based play during the height of that gameplay. FroZen would quite likely be the one to talk to about that I believe.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

You are so unbelievably, irrationally, hypocritically full of shit, INW.

1) With respect to the in-substantive, shallow invective of your post:
INW wrote:I think the most imprtant rule should be:

No insulting, neglecting[sic], or use of any negative adjectives or descriptions of people on this forum or in relation with people on this forum as it can and will be taken as a threat.
Not that anyone should expect you to follow your own pollyannaish rule. You don't even follow the actual rules.

2) Concerning the substantive (if fallacious) aspect of your post, I did not jump in and post a random bashing of high rubber. My post was an obvious, specific, and direct reply to the snide remark, "well i guess you guys dont understand hr." Every statement of my reply was factually accurate*, except the last line ("There are no good 'hr' servers because 'hr' servers are no good."), which was a relatively innocuous statement of opinion—one that could hardly be considered bashing, let alone a rant or personal attack. It also echoed an opinion that had already been stated at least twice previously, not to mention innumerable times on this forum. But, of course, I receive the brunt of your tantrum, and we all know why.

As far as the bitching and moaning about it being off-topic (etc. mudslinging), again, you might want to considering following your own rules.

3) I want an explanation as to why INW's outburst, along with his recent admitted 'trolling,' is acceptable. It took nearly a year for any action to be taken against Luck and Mecca. So, what, since INW's mostly only been at this since he joined Luck's clan and became his lackey, we're going to have to put up with this for another year? Not even so much as a warning?

* I did leave out one thing. Ryan complained about the bugginess of high rubber. Fact is, and Z-Man can confirm this from a technical perspective, if you set rubber higher than intended, you should expect bugs.
Z-Man wrote:Oh, one thing: CYCLE_RUBBER_TIME should either be zero or very, very big....
In my experience, setting that to zero, or even a very small fraction of basic CYCLE_RUBBER, means invincibility. For example, in my attempts to change the shield-like behaviour of that setting into a Tetris-like one, I ended up with something like CYCLE_RUBBER 1, CYCLE_RUBBER_TIME 0.3-0.5 (one of those). Any lower value of the latter and no 'sploshun. Even at that value, there was some strange bouncing of the rubber meter at the top of its use. I didn't mind the bouncing, although some players, especially the fortress ones, would complain, "OMG I died at 0.648957! WTF?!"
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

Phytotron wrote: So, what, since INW's mostly only been at this since he joined Luck's clan and became his lackey, we're going to have to put up with this for another year? Not even so much as a warning?
I don't care much about the other parts nor did I all of them (well face it, long boring paragraphs aren;t appealing and people don't like to read) but this caught my attention.

Please make sure you know what you are talking about before you say something. Statements like the above make yourself look so stupid.

Join Luck's clan? LOL! I invited him to the clan. I was there before him...LOL! Also, I am not in that "clan" anymore.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Statements like the above make yourself look so stupid.
Statements like the above make yourself look so stupid.

Rephrased, same essential meaning: I want an explanation as to why INW's outburst, along with his recent admitted 'trolling,' is acceptable. It took nearly a year for any action to be taken against Luck and Mecca. So, what, since INW has mostly only been at this behaviour—that very much mimics Luck's—for a couple months, we're going to have to put up with this for another year? Not even so much as a warning?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Which part of "Rest in PM" did you two not understand? And, regarding the explanation demand, that WAS a warning. I probably didn't make it clear enough, but it should have been clear that I was wearing my moderator hat for that part of my last post. It should be clear that if someone wearing a moderator hat steps into a discussion and tells you to stop hitting each other with sharp objects, you comply. The only reason I'm not banning both of you right now is that I understand that my lack of explicitly yelling at you and your lack of common sense apparently created a misunderstanding. To avoid further misunderstandings, this is the final warning for both of you in this matter. No trolling, no namecalling, no dragging up hostilities in completely unrelated threads, no... whatever interaction was between you two over the past months. And watch out for rule #9.[/moderatorhat]

Oh. I thought we had special code that made zero rubber time like infinite rubber time. My bad, there is no such thing. Very high CYCLE_RUBBER_TIME it is, then.
dkiller
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by dkiller »

Paladin wrote:If you are looking for Path, had you considered actually posting on the dbd forums? Pm'ing him here or on their forums? It generally helps in regards to hunting him down.
http://www.deathbydistraction.net/forums/(.dBd forums)
Doubt it. He, the forum, and the link have all dropped off the face off the earth for the past two days. Then again, once the dbd forums do go up again, expect to find him there more often than here. As for those server settings, I think a relatively cool idea would be to have the rubber meter only go down back to zero, slowly, rather than an accelerated point at the peak of your meter. Meaning, If you've used up 26/30 rubber, it still goes down at the same rate as If you have used up 4/30 rubber. Just my idea. Something completely different, and a slight change from the ordinary, imo is sometimes nice, and defiantly innovative. Now, if you just want a plain hr server, I may still have a settings_custom file to an old and gone hr server as well. I don't know how good the settings are, but If I can indeed find it, they're your's to keep.
RYON
Average Program

Post by RYON »

yyyyaaaayyyyyyy, hail to the Z-MAN, without him armagetron wouldnt exist.
RYON
Average Program

Post by RYON »

well i figured some settings out. thnx http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 05#p237605
Magic
Core Dumper

Post by Magic »

I will take another shot at you frozen ;) but maybe your cold emotionless heart could help him find the old xzl settings and we could play there