What sport is Football? And Hockey?

Anything About Anything...
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Re: What sport is Football? And Hockey?

Post by Gonzap »

then call it american football, not just football, because football is the ball and the foot :)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Dude, pay attention. Did you even read the entirety of my posts, especially the first one? I said 2-3 times or more that, in the context of an international audience, Americans should (and already do) refer to it as "American football."

Additionally, when speaking of your football, we too have to put some kind of modifier in front of it, otherwise an American is as likely to take it to mean our kind as you are to take it to mean yours.

You cannot dictate how we refer to American football or "soccer" amongst ourselves.

It would make about as much sense for us to say to each other, "hey, you going to watch the American/Gridiron football game?" as it would for you to say, "hey, you going to watch the European/Association football game?" to your compatriots.

(Kickers' and punters' feet do touch the ball in American football, by the way. In fact, it's the very first play of every game: the kickoff! And sometimes the last, as a game-winning field goal. And in between can figure significantly in the game, in terms of field position. :P )
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I'm gonna make a compromise. How about we say "football" refers to the ball of the foot? It shall now be about running.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

how do you pretend me to read your entire posts if everyone of them are as long as the length of my screen?... you can say the same with less words lol

anyway i don't enforce it, it's just that we would comprehend each other optimally if you call everything by a different name.

About kickoffs, well, the biggest part of the game is not played with feet, isn't it?
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

Most people use feet to run, so yes, all of the game takes place on the athletes feet ;).

Edit: feer to feet
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

dumb mkay -.- you know what i mean
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Jonathan wrote:I'm gonna make a compromise. How about we say "football" refers to the ball of the foot? It shall now be about running.
Just to be clear, I meant plain running. No balls bigger than some tens of cubic centimeters involved.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Mkay: Yes, your browser itself is doing the spell check, using your local settings.

About the other things you mention, 50% of how biased a post appears is determined by the reader. If it makes you feel better, I neither care for Rugby nor American Football. Pretty much all I know is that they use the same kind of oddly shaped ball, the same kind of oddly shaped goals and that the players wear different gear. If I call AF a Rugby Mod, it's based on that level of knowledge and interest. No, I don't want to be educated on that, I'd be perfectly able to read it up myself if that was the case.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: New-Years American-Football Tournament

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:Sinewav, do you really?
LOL once, after the movie came out and we didn't have the energy for a game (I used to blay basketball a lot). We just joked around with the baseball thing for while. Good movie I thought.
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

:) @ Z-man
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

The general thread seems to consist of Europeans aggressively defending their rights to use the name "Football" instead of "Soccer".

As an American, I've never really complained about how people used them; I could usually read context clues to determine which was being referred to.

As Mkay stated; Phyto pretty much beat me to it... he said everything that needed to be said ;)

Just do understand; the forums are international and regardless of how important you think you are, they are simply different games and will be called different names depending on the situation they are being used.

@Gonzap: You were claiming Phytotron's messages took up your entire screen and are too much to read.... and they say Americans are lazy...

@Magic&others concerned: I've heard the field referred to as 'The Gridiron' several times, but definitely not a common thing.

Besides, isn't "Association Football" referred to as "Futbol" in most of Europe/Germany?
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Ratchet wrote:Besides, isn't "Association Football" referred to as "Futbol" in most of Europe/Germany?
Written that way, only in Spain, AFAIK. It's Futebol in Portugal (And Brazil, I assume), which is similar, but note that both are just rewritings of "Football" so they pronounce semi-properly when read by the rules of the local language. Most other countries have a real local language name, usually consisting of the words for "Foot" and "Ball", surprisingly. It`s "Fußball" here. But yeah, I guess Futbol would be understood by most. Especially all of South America.
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

no, spanniards are meant to be the most lazy people on the world :s
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

Don't forget Australian Football: Ridiculous. I had an Australian dude in a hostel try to explain this to me after we had a few drinks, I was extremely confused and interested by it. It's like a mix of 4+ other sports.
You've gone too far, turn back!
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

I can see Quitich Soccer Basketball. These guys make the NFL look like pansies.