Vote - when is a clan a clan?

Something wrong with it? Got an idea for it? Post here.

Moderator: Lucifer

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: Vote - when is a clan a clan?

Post by Phytotron »

Phytotron wrote:Damnit. Another one meant to be a PM. >_< :x
Mkay1 wrote:I don't get it.
Meaning, I have a bad habit of mistakenly hitting the "quote" button when I mean to hit the "PM" button. Then I hit "submit," it gets posted, and I realise I fooked up after the fact. But, I can't delete it. I almost did it again just a moment ago.

I'll use this opportunity to make another appeal for something that's on the one other forum to which I occasionally contribute. If you just made the last post in a topic, there will be a little 'X' button on it, which if clicked will allow you to delete the post entirely. That would sure cut down on a lot of these dangling posts that seem to occur on a pretty regular basis.

EDIT: Argh, another page break!
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

Phytotron wrote:
Phytotron wrote:Damnit. Another one meant to be a PM. >_< :x
Mkay1 wrote:I don't get it.
Meaning, I have a bad habit of mistakenly hitting the "quote" button when I mean to hit the "PM" button.
Well the quote button is nowhere near the pm button. PM button is on the bottom left and the quote button is on the top right... -_-
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

No kidding? Thanks for the constructive post.
INW

Post by INW »

Just wondering how you could possibly get them confused...

Back to the same old sarcastic Phytotron :roll:
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I'm pretty sure he'll know to hit the PM button this time. Sorry.

Note that you can edit your posts, and if your post is the last in the thread, do so without getting an edit message under it. I think Tank might have disabled removal so you can't just make a post vanish without leaving any trace at all. But I agree it would be good to enable it for a short amount of time after posting.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

You think you have it bad? The 'quote' button is right next to the 'edit' button for moderators.

And yeah, the ability to delete your post if it's last is a standard feature you can activate on phpBB. There's little abuse potential, so I'd be in favor for activating it.
Tobe
Round Winner

Post by Tobe »

Z-Man wrote:You think you have it bad? The 'quote' button is right next to the 'edit' button for moderators.
I have actually edited someone's post once before, thinking I quoted it and hit Submit. Unfortunately, after I realized what happened, I couldn't remake the post because I had deleted a lot of it in my own post haha.
<-- Proud co-leader of Rogue Tronners
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

heh I've hit it several times too on ct's site, but i always look for the [quote] tag before editing
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Jonathan wrote:Note that you can edit your posts, and if your post is the last in the thread, do so without getting an edit message under it.
Yeah, I do it all the time. :/

And it's what I did in this case. If it wasn't clear, the post that was meant to be a PM was the actual one in which I said, "meant to be a PM." Only, this time I caught it before anyone saw the message that was meant to be the PM.

The other thing that throws me off is that when you hit the 'PM' button on a post, it automatically does exactly what the 'quote' button does: It quotes the post.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Phytotron wrote:And it's what I did in this case. If it wasn't clear, the post that was meant to be a PM was the actual one in which I said, "meant to be a PM." Only, this time I caught it before anyone saw the message that was meant to be the PM.
Ah, okay. I misunderstood that. It already seemed a little off.
Phytotron wrote:The other thing that throws me off is that when you hit the 'PM' button on a post, it automatically does exactly what the 'quote' button does: It quotes the post.
Would you also have a solution everyone can be happy with? I think you really should just pay attention here. If you can clean up most of the damage, in case you do slip up, that should be good enough.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

I was merely stating what happens, just like the three people before me. It wasn't, "this is bullshit, change it!" Surely you've noticed by now, after all these years, that if I have an objection to something I'll come right out and say it, not hint around and play games.

Another example of merely stating: Sometimes I accidentally hit the 'submit' button when I mean to hit the 'preview' button. That's actually a much more common reason why I will have to go back and edit a post I just made. I am not hinting, implying, or suggesting that those buttons be relocated.

The only thing I've actually suggested changing is—well, you can look up and see for yourself.
INW

Post by INW »

Phytotron wrote:Another example of merely stating: Sometimes I accidentally hit the 'submit' button when I mean to hit the 'preview' button.
Now THAT is something I am a victim to :'(
It seems like some forums have the Preview button to the left of the Submit button while others have it the other way around.
An example would be crazy-tronners.com.
Their Submit button is to the left of the Preview button while here it is the other way!
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

When I'm done typing a message, I just hit tab and press enter. Works everywhere.
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011