Sumo Idea

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
ItzAcid
Match Winner

Re: Sumo Idea

Post by ItzAcid »

Thats the thing Insa. If someone starts off in the noob circle, they'll naturally have easier people to kill. That leaves more time for them to "vulture" off of the best circle full of pros. In the end, they would be in the "pro" circle while knocking out someone who had been in the hardest circle the whole time. Chances for noobs to win increases :D.

Sine, you've almost got me convinced it is luck. Stop. :P
Won Tourneys/Competitions: WWG4 (Hmm, need more braggage like Durka)

Oo oO
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

well, it is luck.
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

yes, durka won all those tournaments by ~~*~~luck*~~*~
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ItzAcid wrote:Chances for noobs to win increases...
That's been my problem with Sumo all along and why I don't take it seriously. I brought it up in the past and my comments spawned the ultimate discussion on Sumo and the resulting server "Bugfarm Pit". It didn't survive, but it did clear the way for other servers like Sumo Bar and Jumbo Sumo (and of course Mecca's server too). These may or may not be an improvement depending on what you personally value in Sumo, but the variance in servers is definitely good for the community.

If I were to design a sumo server, I would probably be one zone with scoring importance as such: Surviving > Kills > Zones. Of course, Arma tends to give scores to people in a crazy fashion at times, so kill points would be significantly lower than survive points, and zone points much less than kills.

Let's put it another way. I don't like Sumo and I don't play it nearly as much as the rest of you lovers. I should never be able to win against you, ever. But sometimes I do, and that sucks, because it's luck that allows me too.
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

OR its because you play fort and sumo uses a lot of fort dynamics that are highly useful, infact I got better in sumo after I started playing fort.... :roll:

nt gg
-*inS*-
Round Winner

Post by -*inS*- »

ItzAcid wrote:Thats the thing Insa. If someone starts off in the noob circle, they'll naturally have easier people to kill. That leaves more time for them to "vulture" off of the best circle full of pros. In the end, they would be in the "pro" circle while knocking out someone who had been in the hardest circle the whole time. Chances for noobs to win increases :D.

Noob vultures are points served on a silver platter! :wink:

If you really want a good game of sumo, play in flower power (apart from the one moving zone round). It is really fun and there are no vultures there, shame no one plays there anymore.
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

it used to be so much fun and everyone played there, there was the top 10 ranking too.. they should bring that back
ItzAcid
Match Winner

Post by ItzAcid »

I freaking loved flower power when it was up and running. Awesome server :D.
Won Tourneys/Competitions: WWG4 (Hmm, need more braggage like Durka)

Oo oO
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

yeah it's fun server but it became unplayable with more than 10 people...
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

sinewav wrote:
ItzAcid wrote:Chances for noobs to win increases...
That's been my problem with Sumo all along and why I don't take it seriously. I brought it up in the past and my comments spawned the ultimate discussion on Sumo and the resulting server "Bugfarm Pit". It didn't survive, but it did clear the way for other servers like Sumo Bar and Jumbo Sumo (and of course Mecca's server too). These may or may not be an improvement depending on what you personally value in Sumo, but the variance in servers is definitely good for the community.

If I were to design a sumo server, I would probably be one zone with scoring importance as such: Surviving > Kills > Zones. Of course, Arma tends to give scores to people in a crazy fashion at times, so kill points would be significantly lower than survive points, and zone points much less than kills.

What are your ideal point ratios, Sine? I think I used 3:1:0 (survive:kill:zone). When people actually played in my server (rare occasion) it seemed more like a freestyle mode with a very small time limit (only had one circle of 8 spawn points, and it shrunk faster than normal).
http://i52.tinypic.com/11ipyet.png
Thursday July 22nd 2010: Airman's team beat Lizmatic's team in fortress.
DDMJ wrote:Good idea...but what if the arma player is Luke-jr :?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Lord Pein wrote:What are your ideal point ratios, Sine?
Without testing I wouldn't know exactly but I could guess it might be something like 8:2:1. The settings you described are a step in the right direction, from my perspective at least.

Really, it has more to do with score as a measure of "something," but the something in Sumo is debatable. I personally think surviving is most important, then kills, then zones. But others value them differently.

Here is another example of why I think Sumo needs a better setup: I would never, ever be able to beat RudyCan'tFail in a 1v1 situation. If I can beat him in a regular server, it's clear something is wrong. I think everyone knows this, and I think that's why there are 1v1 Sumo competitions. But there is no reason we couldn't make regular Sumo have a more accurate representation of skill.
Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

I see, I think those ratios might lead to a much more defensive style of play (not saying that is bad), since not dieing (survival + zones) is weighted so heavily against kills. If I had a server, I would mess around with point ratios a bit and try to find a healthy medium (as I think my ratios encourage very aggressive play).
http://i52.tinypic.com/11ipyet.png
Thursday July 22nd 2010: Airman's team beat Lizmatic's team in fortress.
DDMJ wrote:Good idea...but what if the arma player is Luke-jr :?
Sinn
Average Program

Post by Sinn »

I loved Flower Power, but I don't think many American's did. We had flower power up for a very long time up until like a month or so ago. Not sure what happend to euro flower power, but our flower power was the only U.S and it just wasn't popular enough to keep around.
The truth is out there.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Lord Pein wrote:...I think my ratios encourage very aggressive play.
You're probably right. The reason I give kills less weight is because Arma tends to distribute kill points in an irregular fashion. This is amplified in Sumo since everyone is so close together. And I don't know about defensive playing; I think that happens no matter what. Most of the Sumo players I see do the exact same thing every round - draw themselves into a box and hang out (including the "pros").
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

i like how beer never does that :D

ps: but i still think you suck :mrgreen:
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho