Sumo Idea

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
ItzAcid
Match Winner

Sumo Idea

Post by ItzAcid »

This may have already been talked about, but has anyone tried putting deathzones between each sumo zone in a server? It would completely cut out leeching while refraining from affecting anything else. If a person's zone collapses quicker than others, one could just practice mazing or something. Leeching gets really annoying especially in a team server. One stays in zone while the other leeches = unfair point heaven. Haha just an idea.
Won Tourneys/Competitions: WWG4 (Hmm, need more braggage like Durka)

Oo oO
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Sumo Idea

Post by Slov »

nah, everybody loves leeching :mrgreen:
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

It's been tried (Rogue Team Sumo, I think I called it) and 2 or 3 people gave positive feedback about the idea, but the majority (at least 20 people) complained about the wall (not deathzones, same idea tho) separating the sumo zones.

After a while people stopped visiting the server, so it's taken down now.
ItzAcid
Match Winner

Post by ItzAcid »

Orly? I figured it'd get positive feedback. With leeching, the best player doesn't always win. Maybe thats why they like it though :P
Won Tourneys/Competitions: WWG4 (Hmm, need more braggage like Durka)

Oo oO
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

ItzAcid wrote:Orly? I figured it'd get positive feedback. With leeching, the best player doesn't always win. Maybe thats why they like it though :P
Yeah the best players won all the time, so I guess it got boring.
-*inS*-
Round Winner

Post by -*inS*- »

Titanoboa wrote:
ItzAcid wrote:Orly? I figured it'd get positive feedback. With leeching, the best player doesn't always win. Maybe thats why they like it though :P
The best player should be able to eliminate their enemies faster than other players, if someone else can win their zone faster - then they arguably are the best player.

As far as team sumo, more zones gives you a lot more freedom, you can choose to keep 2 in your zone or attack with one. This is a risk however because if the player in your zone dies, the attacker will as well (Not to mention you have 1 player defending where other teams may have 2).

Fyi, the term is vultures, not leeches.
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

-*inS*- wrote:
Titanoboa wrote:
The best player should be able to eliminate their enemies faster than other players, if someone else can win their zone faster - then they arguably are the best player.

As far as team sumo, more zones gives you a lot more freedom, you can choose to keep 2 in your zone or attack with one. This is a risk however because if the player in your zone dies, the attacker will as well (Not to mention you have 1 player defending where other teams may have 2).

Fyi, the term is vultures, not leeches.
that is bs, everyone ignore it

well if compguygene ever did put my server up :( its classic sumo with walls inbetween the zones so you can't leech, I much prefer it that way because you need to rely on your skill more that way to win a match
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Sumo is luck.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

flower power sumo assault.
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
INW

Post by INW »

-*inS*- wrote:
Titanoboa wrote:
So if Rudy and Punish and Durka and Nubi are all in the same sumo zone because they have the top scores...chances are their zone may be the last one up because they are all so skilled and can camp like crazy. Even though these players are probably the best ones in the server, the other zones will probably end before this one; giving the winners of those other zones points to leech.

It is actually very simple. insa just tried to make it common sense.
Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

Yeah I'm going to have to disagree with ins as well. People are placed in their zones according to how many points they have. Just because someone wins the noob/afk circle, doesn't mean they are the best player.

Also...

Sumo != luck

I still have my custom sumo settings that do not award points for zone collapsing (only points awarded for kills and for being the last cycle driving) if anyone wants them...
http://i52.tinypic.com/11ipyet.png
Thursday July 22nd 2010: Airman's team beat Lizmatic's team in fortress.
DDMJ wrote:Good idea...but what if the arma player is Luke-jr :?
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

if you are the last one to survive at your own zone, and there is no opportunity to move to another, it's boring as hell.

You can maze off course, but that's not the point of the game =D
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
boobert
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by boobert »

Lord Pein wrote: I still have my custom sumo settings that do not award points for zone collapsing (only points awarded for kills and for being the last cycle driving) if anyone wants them...
This would be one zone I assume? I would quite like to see a server like this. :done:

I don't understand why someone would play a zone-based gametype if their goal is to NOT be in the zone and have someone else do the work. Booooorrringg :snail:
-*inS*- wrote:(Not to mention you have 1 player defending where other teams may have 2).
So much defending. Everyone should be attacking!
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

If nobody's defending, who are you gonna attack?
-*inS*-
Round Winner

Post by -*inS*- »

gawdzilla wrote: that is bs, everyone ignore it
ohai shadow, nice 2 c u :lol:

I think that sumo shouldn't be a passive game of trying to take the middle and camping, and you want to either kill or push your opponents out as quickly as possible. Of course that's just my personal philosophy on it and the way I see it, the current set up benefits "aggressive" players who try to attack.

Of course we can twist rules and settings to influence what type of player is better, I could make walls around the zones to negate some of the benefits of "attacking" , or as we've seen some servers have walls along with a decent wall acceleration which propels you to the other zones for easier access when you are a vulture.

It all comes down to what kind of game you want to play, I think sumo in fort is 10x more fun than in sumo because you have to attack to make progress against your enemies.

Anyways, if you want to make a server with this by all means go for it, I'm sure it would have it's own niche of users but I don't think the majority of people playing sumo would be in support of this.

edit: mecca, what are the chances the person starting in that circle would win a match anyways :P