Pulsing Zones

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
ZURD101
Core Dumper

Pulsing Zones

Post by ZURD101 »

Deathzones that 1. grow, 2. shrink, 3. repeat

deathzone_pulse_min .2 (The minimum size a deathzone can shrink to)
deathzone_pulse_max 10 (The maximum size a deathzone can grow to)
deathzone_pulse_speed 10 (The time in seconds it take to reach deathzone_pulse_min or _max)
deathzone_pulse_enable 1 (Trun this to 1 to make deathzones in a map shrink and grow. Turn this to 0 to make a deathzone function normaly)

What do you think? 0.4? ct+sty? 0.2.8.x?
dukevin
Round Winner

Re: Pulsing Zones

Post by dukevin »

This would be awesome :) so much potential beyond what seems to be just pulsing zones.

But rather than just pulsing dz, should be able to set this for any zone
Last edited by dukevin on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
voodoo
Core Dumper

Post by voodoo »

You can do it using sty+ct with delay_command, spawn_zone and set_zone_radius.
Ex:
delay_command -1 spawn_zone n myzone death 100 100 10
delay_command r2 0 set_zone_radius myzone 20 10
delay_command r2 1 set_zone_radius myzone 10 -10

This should spawns a zone at pos 100 100 and make it "pulses" from radius 10 to 20 every 2s.
Not tested but that should works.
dukevin
Round Winner

Post by dukevin »

wow voodoo, thanks for sharing this! :D

But I can't get delay_command working, typing "/admin delay_command 1 kill duke" is accepted but no action is taken. Same with trying -1
voodoo
Core Dumper

Post by voodoo »

Delay_command syntax is the following:
delay_command [r<periodicity>] <time> <command>
if time start by +, it is relative to current time, otherwise it is absolute game time
So
+1.5 means in 1.5 sec,
1 means 1 sec after round start
-1 means 1 sec before round start

Edit: Also, delay_command cannot launch commands with lower accesslevel than the one set for delay_command itself. It might be confusing sometime but check access level if it does not work.
ZURD101
Core Dumper

Post by ZURD101 »

interesting voodoo. Very interesting, you just opened up a huge amount of possibilities!

I still want to see the command and they're functions come to be used in newer versions of the game :)

EDIT: ok after testing the commands, i find that it does "pulse"...in a split second i goes to radius 20, then goes back to radius 10 even faster, when looking at it, it looks like a "pulse"...but it doesnt really function like how i would want the above to function
voodoo
Core Dumper

Post by voodoo »

I've just tested it myself and it does "pulse" smoothly except the first resize call. you have to adjust periodicity, start times, and growth rate according to the min and max radius you choose...
also, it seems radius is handled as an integer in both spawn_zone and set_zone_radius commands. I'll try to change in to float and also to fix the "first resize call" issue soon...
Who?
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Who? »

THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS! This has solved so many issues. This can be used to easily do a simple round based map rotation without using any scripts, and it gives us the ability to use all of the arma zones to there full potential from the xml. So again, thank you so much!
voodoo
Core Dumper

Post by voodoo »

You're welcome, but you should thx the dev team and use map_rotation instead ;)
Who?
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Who? »

Well, as of now, for our server version, map_rotation doesn't work. So this is our only solution, though it is a bit of a nightmare to make all of the settings run properly between maps.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

actually DELAYED_COMMAND Fails at map rotation. after the map file is changed, any new client coming in downloads the new map_file, so they are shown the wrong map with players going through walls and whatnot.

I do want to make it so maybe DELAYED_COMMAND <E or -99> is executed at end of round. but i have not had the time.
Who?
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Who? »

yeah, thats the one problem we have been running into, ty for clearing it up :P

maybe if we delay the command until just before the round ends, we can reduce this glitch.
Who?
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Who? »

So, I just ran a test, and if you limit the time (I did 3 mins.) and limit the score (I did 1000), you can delay the map_file command so that it executes after the round has ended (in this case delay_command r0 179). Though this avoids the problem it makes the map rotation VERY limiting and not worth our time... :P
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

Sounds like a good feature, but should be integrated into Zones v2, not a deathzone-only zonesv1 thing (which is about to be removed anyhow!)
Who?
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Who? »

voodoo wrote:You can do it using sty+ct with delay_command, spawn_zone and set_zone_radius.
Ex:
delay_command -1 spawn_zone n myzone death 100 100 10
delay_command r2 0 set_zone_radius myzone 20 10
delay_command r2 1 set_zone_radius myzone 10 -10

This should spawns a zone at pos 100 100 and make it "pulses" from radius 10 to 20 every 2s.
Not tested but that should works.
I've found that if you combine:

delay_command r1 0.1 set_zone_radius zone1 1 10

and

set_zone_expanison 2

it makes a nice pulse as well :P