0.4 Featureset

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Re: 0.4 Featureset

Post by MrsKsr »

Ohai,

I had an idea, sooo;

Could you make it so that you can login to a server from the master list, before you enter? I know you might think it's not useful but.. I think it's a cool idea xD

Also, if that is possible.. Could you have an access list, which would only allow certain people to enter the server and maybe keep certain people out via GID rather than IP (yes this means login to play server, but it could be optional, since everyone likes doing this nowadays..(PRO servers)) I know some of you don't like/do clans blabla, but private clan servers exist, and it would be nice to make them actually private as well.

So there's my idea :D Lemi know :))

p.s.
~ Ya I know.. Old clients etc I know, epsy gave me mini lecture, but please try :(
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one;
I hope some day you will join us, and the world can live as one"

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

I believe that to truly love is the ultimate expression of the will to live.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

+1 for the privacy.

talk_to_master 0 combined with either custom connect or bookmark can be a bit of a hassle to the average tronner (plus how do the affected players see when there are people in the server?)

please consider
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

You can't log in without being connected to a game server. Sure, you could log in to the master server, but that wouldn't do you any good. We already have the tools to reserve playing and chatting to a selected club (with access levels and authority wide access levels and the like); what exactly is wrong with letting everyone watch what's going on in a server? If we disable that, how are people going to know whether they want to be part of the elite club that can actually play there?
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

Dude, it would just be nice to have the option. Sometimes you just do not want people to watch what's happening in a server (like when teams/clans practise for ladles and other competitions). I know you can't login without being connected, but if I listened to what eps said properly, it's possible to send a prompt to the server as you enter which then sends login "screen" before anything else? (idk if that's exactly what he said so don't yell at him if it's wrong C:) and kicks users who aren't in the "access list".

~ I realize it's a lot of work to implement new things, and you have to have a kind of passion about it to invest spare time in it, but I think it's a good thing to have, seriously.. and if I could do it myself I would (since I don't want to be like, hey I have an idea, make it happen! kgo.. feels a lil bit bad) but I don't think somehow that even if I sat and learned code the whole day for the next few months that I'd know enough in time :(( so pleaseeee *whine*

It's not so much about being elite and blabla.. Obviously some people might use it for this, but it's really just an alternative to having to do max_clients # everytime you want some privacy :/

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Well, the problem there is that the architecture is not really designed to let things happen like this. It goes like this:
- client sends login packet
- server responds, starts sending data
- client waits until it is properly synced, displays console
- client sends player data and starts displaying the game
- client initiates the log in process, which is something that goes back and forth between client, game server and authority a bit
It's not possible to change that on the server side only to not show anything to the player until he is authenticated. The console could be suppressed, but if you keep the client in a state where it doesn't display the game, it will never send the data required for authentication to even start. The only (and relatively easy) way would be to let the server tell the client when to really display things. Hacked clients can ignore those requests, so this won't work if you really want to keep a game secret. Or client code gets changed so that player data is sent first thing after the connection is established; the server can then withold non-login related packets from the client. But that's extremely hacky and error prone.

It gets less so if we first implement playgrounds in the server: right now, if you're on the server, you're in the one game it hosts, all in the same world. If you want to host several concurrent games, you run several servers. It would be much better in many ways (easier administration, better managed sharing of resources like bandwidth and CPU time, game modes that utilize multiple playgrounds for things like ad-hoc automatic mini-tournaments, possibility for limited cross-game chat) to run those games in one server process, and the same tools to keep the different games apart could then be used to keep non-authenticated players out of your game. Needless to say, that's nothing for 0.4.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

MrsKsr wrote:Ohai,

I had an idea, sooo;

Could you make it so that you can login to a server from the master list, before you enter? I know you might think it's not useful but.. I think it's a cool idea xD

Also, if that is possible.. Could you have an access list, which would only allow certain people to enter the server and maybe keep certain people out via GID rather than IP (yes this means login to play server, but it could be optional, since everyone likes doing this nowadays..(PRO servers)) I know some of you don't like/do clans blabla, but private clan servers exist, and it would be nice to make them actually private as well.

So there's my idea :D Lemi know :))

p.s.
~ Ya I know.. Old clients etc I know, epsy gave me mini lecture, but please try :(
Ok, dubje. I have just read your post for the 3rd time. I have read z-man's response.

I have a better way of this being handled with the current armathentication and nothing else.

Before Ww decided to focus on TR2NOrigins and not Armagetronad, at the players request manta made a WwCTF Pro server. The only way you were able to play there is if your GID was added to the list of players allowed to play.
Who was allowed to play was coordinated by several notable players, like Monkey D. Luffy etc.

Here is the solution.

I have not thought of an Idea for a "Pro" fortress server that I like. I like this one. I will put up 2 Ladle settings "Pro" Fortress servers that you cannot play unless you are put on the "list" of approved players. I will put up a simple wordpress site for the server. I will post about it when I am done. I can use the hosting I use for my internet business to put up a wordpress site very easily and quickly. I can put up one in Germany, and one in New York!
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

No. This isn't what I meant at all and it's not what I wanted it to be used for, in fact I hate PRO servers. There's enough of them already, putting up more is just ridiculous. It's the privacy I wanted, for freedom to practise without having to "lock" a server.. Not a barrage of "we're better than you" servers.. *sigh* Nevermind I guess.

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

MrsKsr wrote:It's the privacy I wanted, for freedom to practise without having to "lock" a server..
What the hell. Just have a second server not on the master list for your clan. Team Plus+ did that for a while and it was a beautiful experience for us, haha.
Discosuperstar
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Discosuperstar »

For some reason I remember there being a password system in place, but looking at the client really quickly now I can't find it. I must have my online games mixed up.
If it's not there, perhaps add that to the feature set. ie you can't enter the server without inputting some kind of pre-shared password. Doesn't have to be gid login at all.
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

sinewav wrote:
MrsKsr wrote:It's the privacy I wanted, for freedom to practise without having to "lock" a server..
What the hell. Just have a second server not on the master list for your clan. Team Plus+ did that for a while and it was a beautiful experience for us, haha.
Titanoboa wrote:talk_to_master 0 combined with either custom connect or bookmark can be a bit of a hassle to the average tronner (plus how do the affected players see when there are people in the server?)

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

MrsKsr wrote:
sinewav wrote:
Titanoboa wrote:talk_to_master 0 combined with either custom connect or bookmark can be a bit of a hassle to the average tronner (plus how do the affected players see when there are people in the server?)
You have average tronners on your team? Are you competing against average tronners for practice?

Why don't you wait until all the players you want are in the server, kick out the people you don't, and set MAX_CLIENTS 1? Sooo many solutions without a new feature...
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

Edited because I cba to argue.

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

This is a specific thread about features for 0.4. Feasibility is a very strong concern for that.
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

Lol, just nevermind.. I knew full well about the basecode and how hacky it would be if it was even possible to implement when I wrote the post, sorry anyway. Next!

Magnie

Post by Magnie »

A few ideas...

- So I was talking with my cousin yesterday about Armagetron, and when I brought up the "Mate List" and who I have on it, they started laughing ( I laugh at it too ) and I'm thinking, instead of having it as "Mates List" have it as "Friend List". If you think about what I just said, you'd understand why. ;) This also brings up another idea, what if we could add friends to our list via console or chat?

Console: friend_list Tank\ Program, Z-Man, Lucifer
Chat: /friend add Tank Program
Chat: /friend remove Tank Program

- Fix the "/command [command] [value]" chat command. It doesn't seem to work for me, and it would be extremely useful for instant chats. Like:

Instant Chat 1: floor_blue 5; floor_detail 2

The Semi-Colon separates multiple commands. So you can turn on or off graphical commands.

- More interaction with web pages. So I've been messing with the Armathentication PHP files and you can login with any name at all, unless someone has added a password to it, which is easy to do also. So you could do "/login Armagetron@playfultest.x10.mx" with password "none" and you will be named as "Armagetron@playfultest.x10.mx". I was planning on making it so when you type in a username that doesn't exist ( "/login thisnamedoesnotexist@playfultest.x10.mx" ) it creates the account with the password. The sad thing was, it created the account with a bmd5 password and I cannot figure out how to create it with a md5 password.

It would be fun to be able to have more interaction with web pages. Mainly how Authentication works. So maybe you could have a form like:

Code: Select all

Username: Example
Password: example
Repeat Password: example
Email: example@example.com
Pretty bizarre ideas, but oh well.