15%
I play open
24%

Total votes: 78

Van-hayes
Round Winner

Re: Open vs Closed, N°2

Post by Van-hayes »

Why bring up a 2 month old topic and provide a full quote from someone you seem to agree with then a partial quote from someone you don't?
You've gone too far, turn back!
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Why do you think?
Patchman5000
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Patchman5000 »

People who demand open kills are completely brainless noobs at the game. I've seen some servers do that on one of my 'check in's' (Been periodically checking in on the game every 6 months or so, lol).. and it's just ridiculous.

If you want an easy game that doesn't require you to use any skill at all I heard My Little Pony: Pinkie Pie's Party for the Nintendo DS might be more suited for you. (Old thread, but the issue remains regardless) [ Pseudo-warning --epsy ]
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

What i do is, if its someone whose alright (like myself) ill leave it open, if its someone whose good (like prestige or something) i'll close it so they dont rape me =P
Boxed
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

i just read the poll, so idk what the rest said, but it's so simple, if everyone agree to play open then perfect, play open, if it's a normal match then a kill is a kill and if i have to close i'll close...
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Posts split over there.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

i thought i should share this. One hour in cheers :)

(later he used freedom of speech as an argument why he's allowed to "make propaganda for playing open" - in his own words... :roll: )

two matches later... :stubble:
Last edited by Word on Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

omfg , you said "shut up" , you bastard!

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

saragei
Core Dumper

Post by saragei »

Word, why are you censoring and what do you want to prove?
Never trust a species that grins all the time. It’s up to something. —Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
Warum sage ich überhaupt was? Das ist, als würde man seinem Navi widersprechen —Bernd das Brot, Kika-Lounge
Word

Post by Word »

i have censored the names of the involved players so they don't feel embarrassed or insulted.
this is just a snapshot of what has become daily routine in many servers.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Since forever, "freedom of speech" has been used to justify BS. If it's your server, why wait? If it's not, then hope the admin isn't stupid.
Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

Epsy, lets not lead this into an off topic discussion.

From my recent observations it seems that DF players are pretty much the only players that even bring up open or closed issues in game. Most of the time, it isn't even an issue, for example:

(
player x core dumped player cat for 30 points(sumo server)
player x: sorry player cat, didn't mean to close on you
);

IMO unless you are in a dog fight server, open vs closed is not an issue at all.
http://i52.tinypic.com/11ipyet.png
Thursday July 22nd 2010: Airman's team beat Lizmatic's team in fortress.
DDMJ wrote:Good idea...but what if the arma player is Luke-jr :?
Word

Post by Word »

not yet. wait a year until these players discover fortress and other servers.
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

They already did , so this is , like mecca said , nonsense ;)

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I think Word still has a valid case here, although it isn't as bad a problem as it had been. There has, I think, been a bit of a paradigm shift, at least in some servers. When I came back these "open/DF/loose" gangs had been overrunning the game, with the attitude and resultant behaviour that they ought to be able to go into any server (that didn't have explicitly stated "no closing" rules) and demand that people play by their stupid gameplay rules, lest you be the subject of verbal abuse or kick votes.

But, it seems that finally, after a damn long time coming, people have begun to speak up and stand up against these little bugs, and there finally has developed at least somewhat of a 'cultural' counterbalance to them. A few anecdotes:

I recall that Mud Puddle in particular had a group of 'regs' who had set up camp there and would assert toward anyone who joined that it was an "open/DF/loose" server, and lay down ceaseless verbal abuse and vote-kicks on anyone who dared "seal." But then folks like myself, boobert, and akira started playing there more often, along with Misery, dlh/free kill, and a couple others—and badly core dumping the lot of them who never learned how to actually play. We also argued back against them. And the moderators finally began to tell these kids to 'stfu' about all that, and that there were no rules in that server. A lot of them ended up relocating to 'DF' servers or CTF or whatever, others stopped showing so regularly, and some just disappeared. There are, unfortunately, a couple stragglers who continue to berate and insult people for not playing by their stupid rules, but they're now typically in the minority.

There was also a time, between when Gene put up Shrunkland but before he passed it off to me, that I went in there and a group of these kids were trying to claim that Shrunkland is and always had been an "open" server. In fact, one even ludicrously tried to claim that "open" had always existed in Arma. After they got their fill of collectively bashing me, they vote-kicked me. Well, you know I shut down that kind of crap toute suite.

I still find it necessary to have a note in the big, obvious, fullscreen message when you enter the server to leave all the weirdo game rules (i.e., "loose/DF/open/whatever"), and insistence thereof, at the door.

However, generally speaking, if a server doesn't have any explicit statement of being a "loose/DF/open/no closing" server, I've found that when someone tries to bitch about that stuff, there are usually people to counter them and inform them that 1) there are no gameplay rules in this server, and b) there are plenty of servers where there are—go there. This would apply to fortress and sumo servers (thus far), and I even experienced this in the Yellow Sub USA Alternative recently, when I was checking that out.

Which leads me to the subject of Cheers specifically. There is no explicit statement that it is a "no closing!" server. There's a line in the server options that says "visit the forums for full server rules and acceptable gameplay guide." Well, I suppose going by their URI that they're referring to the armagetron.co.uk site, so I went there. And I dug around a bit and didn't find these "full server rules and acceptable gameplay guide." I did notice a drop-down menu at the top of the page called Game Play, and Game Play Guide, but it states, "your goal is to make people crash into your wall or trap them until they crash." That doesn't sound like a prohibition against "closing" to me.

Moreover, if Cheers really is a no-closing server, such a crucial rule like that should be stated explicitly in the server description, and preferably an MOD as well. It should not require someone to go find some unspecified forum and dig around.

So, my question to whomever the admin of Cheers is: Is that officially a "DF/loose/open/no closing or sealing!" server or not? If it is, why is there not an explicit statement of that rule? If it is not, why do you allow your regulars to get away with that kind of crap?

(Not to mention the fact that Z-Man put in settings meant to enforce open play, presumably to appease them and try to get them to shut up, but no one has actually implemented them.)