There was a day where..

What do you want to see here? Some more categories, forums, and mods? Hmm...
LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Re: There was a day where..

Post by LucK »

Er I did not get off topic I responded to what you posted. If I didn't like you I think you would know it. Do you know it or do I need to make it more clear?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Phytotron: I'll remind you that a lot of folks here aren't native english speakers, and I could see having problems distinguishing between "censure" and "censor". Hell, a lot of native english speakers don't know the difference.
I realise this; that's why I made a note pointing out that I meant censure and not censor. If a person doesn't know the difference, surely s/he can look it up.

Speaking of whiches,
Why do the forums have to be "family-friendly"? No families here...
Is this an example of someone being unaware of the (uniquely American?) catchphrase (or one might even describe as newspeak) "family-friendly?" Word, you might want to read this Wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family-friendly, although, it elaborates a bit more than might be necessary for you. Really only the first bit is relevant:
Entertainment or information is called "family friendly" if it is considered suitable for all members of the average family. In particular it means that it is not considered inappropriate for children, which may imply restrictions on engagement in, or depiction of, nudity, sex, violence, horror, crude language, etc.
In other words, it's not literally about whether there are families viewing this forum together. Rather, it's meant to imply that content should be suitable for people of all ages, including little kids.
Last edited by Phytotron on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yeah, this is the kind of garbage that needs to be shut down: http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 60&t=20121

And I still want an explanation as to why making a lighthearted comment comparing an Arma gameplay style/rules to a silly children's video game is worse, more offensive, more unacceptable than making a joke and glib slang out of rape.
Patchman5000
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Patchman5000 »

Phytotron wrote:Yeah, this is the kind of garbage that needs to be shut down: http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 60&t=20121

And I still want an explanation as to why making a lighthearted comment comparing an Arma gameplay style/rules to a silly children's video game is worse, more offensive, more unacceptable than making a joke and glib slang out of rape.
Because he got mod out of forum desperation, lol. Obviously ;)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Phytotron wrote:And I still want an explanation as to why making a lighthearted comment comparing an Arma gameplay style/rules to a silly children's video game is worse, more offensive, more unacceptable than making a joke and glib slang out of rape.
It's not really possible to explain, it's a young male dominated gaming culture thing. In the context, 'rape' clearly only means 'kill', or 'pwn', especially without being able to do anything about it. And yes, suggesting to someone they should rather go play a game designed for 8 year old girls is worse. Still, I personally wouldn't have moderated either of those.

And you're possibly right about LucK's post (possibly because I don't know the facts and maybe his outrage was justified), of course, but a less complainy tone about lack of speed of moderation would be appreciated, we have better things to do at times, like sleep for example.
Patchman5000
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Patchman5000 »

Z-Man wrote:
Phytotron wrote:And I still want an explanation as to why making a lighthearted comment comparing an Arma gameplay style/rules to a silly children's video game is worse, more offensive, more unacceptable than making a joke and glib slang out of rape.
It's not really possible to explain, it's a young male dominated gaming culture thing. In the context, 'rape' clearly only means 'kill', or 'pwn', especially without being able to do anything about it. And yes, suggesting to someone they should rather go play a game designed for 8 year old girls is worse. Still, I personally wouldn't have moderated either of those.

And you're possibly right about LucK's post (possibly because I don't know the facts and maybe his outrage was justified), of course, but a less complainy tone about lack of speed of moderation would be appreciated, we have better things to do at times, like sleep for example.
Well, moderation isn't needed too often, so technically speed doesn't really matter.. also this forum doesn't fly so fast that a few hours would do much.

I'm sure Espy could be a) Significantly more lenient on obvious things b) Not try to be a mega mod and treat this forum like it gets 200 people posting at all times (Stop specifically SEARCHING for things you can moderate).. you can browse topics without the intent of finding something to mod in every single one of them..

Needs to lay off on the "Hey i'm a super special new mod, so i'm going to flag every single thing I can find regardless of the severity", just chill man.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Patchman5000 wrote:Needs to lay off on the "Hey i'm a super special new mod, so i'm going to flag every single thing I can find regardless of the severity", just chill man.
Well, you should chill a bit, too. You received a not-really-warning, that is all. Nobody will remember it in six months if you stop complaining about it.
Patchman5000
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Patchman5000 »

Z-Man wrote:
Patchman5000 wrote:Needs to lay off on the "Hey i'm a super special new mod, so i'm going to flag every single thing I can find regardless of the severity", just chill man.
Well, you should chill a bit, too. You received a not-really-warning, that is all. Nobody will remember it in six months if you stop complaining about it.
I'm not really complaining about my post.. just in general since he's everywhere it seems. Rants about my specific post ended a while ago :P

I seem to have a history with touchy mods though, lol.
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

(Stop specifically SEARCHING for things you can moderate).. you can browse topics without the intent of finding something to mod in every single one of them..

Needs to lay off on the "Hey i'm a super special new mod, so i'm going to flag every single thing I can find regardless of the severity", just chill man.
As if people do that.. Nobody here (that is mod) has such an uneventful life that they would. People have different standards of what they deem acceptable, therefore this kind of clash about moderation was bound to happen.. Just don't blow it out of proportion whilst things are still being established.
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one;
I hope some day you will join us, and the world can live as one"

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

I believe that to truly love is the ultimate expression of the will to live.
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

Deleted by me
Last edited by subby on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

Removed for lack of context -- by me
Last edited by MrsKsr on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one;
I hope some day you will join us, and the world can live as one"

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

I believe that to truly love is the ultimate expression of the will to live.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Z-Man wrote:a less complainy tone about lack of speed of moderation would be appreciated, we have better things to do at times, like sleep for example.
That wasn't my purpose. I was citing it as an example.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 7&start=15

brings back memories for some people ^^

what happened to Marrow?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Word wrote:what happened to Marrow?
Ultimately, I think he just lost interest after the brief return.

Phytotron: Ah. Righty, then.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »