Reset Game Setup Settings in Ubuntu

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
pgn674

Reset Game Setup Settings in Ubuntu

Post by pgn674 »

I have Armagetron Advanced v0.2.8.2.1 in Ubuntu 9.10. I had some fun with the AI and extreme settings and in Game Setup for a while, and now I'd like to make the game playable again. However, I can see no way to set all those settings back to default, nor can I find a configuration file anywhere. Does anyone have the default settings, or some way to reset the settings back to default on Ubuntu?
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Reset Game Setup Settings in Ubuntu

Post by subby »

uninstall and reinstall should work

next time do some backups :)
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Reinstalling actually won't reset your configuration files. You can remove “~/.armagetronad/var/user.cfg” to get back to the defaults.

If you don't want to reset everything, you can edit that file and remove the settings you want to reset back to default.
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

then is that not a bug ?

surely if you uninstall something everthing should be removed?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Nope. All those custom-type files are now left to be carried over from one version to the next, so you don't have to reset everything every time you upgrade.
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

Phytotron wrote:Nope. All those custom-type files are now left to be carried over from one version to the next, so you don't have to reset everything every time you upgrade.
doesn't do that when:
sudo make install

have to edit settings.cfg for
camera_custom_pitch
camera_custom_rise
camera_custom_back

If I was a system admin and uninstalled something I would hope everything would be gone especially if stuff is in /etc
In fact i would be quite angry about it! (maybe this can count for my rant for the day :) )

If I want to keep something I'll back it up, I wouldnt want to uninstall and then go hunting for s*** that's left over :)

That is I mean by uninstall not upgrade. in wich cas I would want to keep my settings!
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

This has become common practice in videogames. That's why on my Windows installations, I use revo uninstaller. When you choose for it to completely remove something, it not only gets rid of any extra data files, but also prunes unneeded registry entries, which on a Windows computer is a source of many slow downs and crashes.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

On linux packages shouldn't *ever* touch /home/. That includes removing persistent data.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

epsy wrote:On linux packages shouldn't *ever* touch /home/. That includes removing persistent data.
That. System-wide configuration is /etc is removed on uninstall, of course, apart from the files the sysadmin created there herself.
pgn674

Post by pgn674 »

dlh wrote:Reinstalling actually won't reset your configuration files. You can remove “~/.armagetronad/var/user.cfg” to get back to the defaults. If you don't want to reset everything, you can edit that file and remove the settings you want to reset back to default.
Ahh, thank you. I didn't see the .armagetronad folder before, not sure if I missed it. It must have been created though, as I had even quit and restarted the game.