Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Tr2n Origins and startup menu test build 0.2.8_t2o_alpha

Post by Z-Man »

Get build 20100130 here,
build 20100124 here and
the old 20100123 here.

What is it? Two things:
Firstly, it's Luke's and dlh's Tr2n Origins compatibility hack; you can play on the T2O network over the subculture that will be automatically added to your list. Bookmarking T2O servers and logging in to their systems all work, but they are likely going to be incompatible with whatever we come up with after they restore compatibility themselves.

Secondly, it's a test for the new player greeting. You usually won't see anything; you need to delete or move your user.cfg to be treated as a new player. There's a new language selection, a quick setup of your name, color and preferred keyboard layout, a new greeting, and an extra slow local game waiting for you. And help on which keys you need to press to crash into the nearest wall.

All highly experimental, very unstable and will probably explode into your face. Be ye warned. But if you want to play AA and T2O without switching clients, this is the only way available right now. Plus, you help us test the stuff.
Last edited by Z-Man on Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XzL.Smart
Round Winner

Re: Tr2n Origins and startup menu test build 0.2.8_t2o_a20100123

Post by XzL.Smart »

lol, nice title screen.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ALL THE GLORY TO THE HYPNOT... wait, what? Oh... erm, excuse me. :oops:

I did not see any t2o servers anywhere, and the subculture menu was empty.

The first time menu worked great. The color selector was really cool. And the "tutorial" worked better than expected. However, I didn't see any instruction on how to avoid walls, but then again maybe I just missed it.

When entering an online game, the center message instructing you to press "enter" for chat was a helpful surprise.

I think it's a pretty amazing improvement from previous versions.

EDIT: It seems you can't use axes indicator and the lag meter at the same time in a network game.

Unrelated stuff.
I've heard conflicting stories about In/Out rate (default 8). Should this be higher? Does it matter?
Last edited by sinewav on Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

sinewav wrote:I did not see any t2o servers anywhere, and the subculture menu was empty.
I'll second that, using windows Vista.

Hypnotoad was a nice surprise, and the start up menus worked great for me too, the colour selector and keyboard layout selector were really nice. The only suggestion for the tutorial and keyboard defaults is maybe bind toggle spectator and add a center message for it as well, i notice some people still don't have that bound or know they can use it.

I like the renaming and shuffling of the game menus as well, looks like it should be a little more newb friendly or intuitive now.
You've gone too far, turn back!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Van-hayes wrote:I like the renaming and shuffling of the game menus as well...
Oh yeah, that too. Much better from a typography standpoint. ++
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

It works for me. I'm on Mac OS 10.5.8.

I love everything about the new startup; great idea!
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Ah. My apologies for the missing subcultures, turns out the Windows installer forgets to pack them. You can enter it manually, though:

Code: Select all

Name: TR2N Origins
Address: t2o:master1.tr2norigins.net
Server Port: 4533
(The t2o: bit tells the system to use the compatibility hack, we hope it won't be required later. Bookmarks to t2o servers get it, too.)

No, there's no bit on avoiding walls, rather to the contrary. The help texts tell you to turn left and right as they please without looking at your surroundings. Though on second thought, it would be possible to at least not be totally evil.

The spectator toggle is a good idea. Like the chat help, help for it can only be given once you enter the shark pool that is online play.

And yeah, of course, the title screen isn't going to make it into any real release ;)
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

No console in local games.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Right, looks like that gets disabled in the new greeting stuff and never turned back on.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

@sine in regards to the Network input rate and output rate. When we did testing to determine the causes of lag in Wild West Sumo, we found that after eliminating any other problems on the server side that when more than 6-8 people were playing that the input/output rate needed to be set to 18+. It appears to us that the default is set as low as it is, so that a modem connection does not get overwhelmed. When working on the new client, we decided to up the rate to 18, since the vast majority of players seem to be playing from at least a basic cable or DSL connection. This has been tested with numerous players in Wild West Sumo, and if you read the console message there, you are told that if you are experiencing much lag to adjust the settings in question.

Thank you for the SubCulture information, Z-man. I have had a number of players ask about this possibility, and it's positively awesome that the AAteam has jumped on this so quickly! I will be doing my best to spread the word to players that are interested, but do not read these forums. Since this now is possible, would you all be offended if I were to announce TR2NOrigins tourneys here? I didn't want to just post about them, and cause problems between us. I am glad that we are working together toward the common goal of getting more people to play our lightcycle games. Manta and I were chatting last night about our plans and such. He always thought that our fork would just be rather ignored. He too is very excited to be hosting our code on LaunchPad and all the advantages that it will provide to both of our respective games. As for myself, I have been reading too much source code lately to not want to contribute. Although I haven't done any real programming in about 20 years, other than a few scripts, and small C++ hacks, I am also going to start to contribute to the TR2NOrigins project. It just seems like a lot more fun to contribute than not!
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Regarding the connection speed, yeah, we should definitely upgrade that one for the servers, too. For the clients, we should at least increase the maximally allowed rate, and put a connection type item into the greeting menu.

And sure, announce tournaments here. Tournaments are generally regarded as neutral ground regarding drama and clan feuds around here anyway.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Tr2n Origins and startup menu test build 0.2.8_t2o_alpha

Post by Z-Man »

Updated, a new build is up. The reported bugs should be fixed, there's now a keybinding for scrolling to the end of the console (defaults to End), and the start menu has an internet connection speed menuitem. The spectator toggle has now default bindings (B for Bench and home) and a tooltip, the ingame menu keybinding also has a tooltip now. The maximal input rate the client allows in the manu is now 64, the maximal output rate 32.
ZURD101
Core Dumper

Post by ZURD101 »

to be quite honest, the menus are even worse...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Be more specific if you want to be constructive :)
ZURD101
Core Dumper

Post by ZURD101 »

the menu titles are long and unattractive... i'm not saying copy t2o's... rather...look at the simplicity of them.