Country-based teams competition

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Country-based teams competition

Post by compguygene »

I was thinking all along that this idea was a LOT like AVE. But, I think this could be a whole lot different. If brackets are randomized, just like in the ladle. We could be pitting American vs. American and Euro vs. Euro or American vs. Euro. The finals could even be Euro vs. Euro or American vs. American. So, in that way this would be quite different than AVE.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

Thats no fun. I want american teams vs european teams. :<
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

If we have an equal number of American and European teams, the brackets could certainly be arranged like that! Perhaps that would be best! I would love to see some European Team play against a Western American team in a server hosted in Los Angeles! Then Euros could see what kind of lag Durka and a few other West Coast people play with all the time in Euro servers.
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

compguygene wrote:Then Euros could see what kind of lag Durka and a few other West Coast people play with all the time in Euro servers.
Ah comp, i already see my lags in a european server.
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

Trans-atlantic fort tournament?

There could be loads of teams;

netherlands
spain
germany (2 teams?)
france
uk (2 teams?)
scandinavia
poland
united-eastern europe countries
united-southern europe countries

could be set up for europe already.

I'ts probably impossible to have 50% eu and 50% us, probably the best would be just to hussle up things, after all its a country competition and not Americans vs. Eu (which would be rather boring as the outcome is obvious, EU will win.)
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

sinewav wrote:
DDMJ wrote:umm, no, this has already been done twice so therefore it can't be his idea! :P
The AVE?
I think Durka meant The International Tron World Cup. I can't even remember who won that one or if worked out at all, and you can't even see who participated because the site it was on isn't there anymore. Say what you want about the wiki but at least it is always there.
You've gone too far, turn back!
Monkey.D.Luffy
Average Program

Post by Monkey.D.Luffy »

compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Thanks Luffy. I was searching for your post, but couldn't find it.

Later today, after I am actually awake, and not just having been woke up early to get kids off to school, I will make a post summarizing all that I think we have decided. I think the greatest barrier towards doing this will be the very disparate times between Pacific Standard Time (GMT-8) and some of the Eastern Europeans (GMT+2). I am going to wrap my head around some of the possibilities, and sleep on it.
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

compguygene wrote:If we have an equal number of American and European teams, the brackets could certainly be arranged like that! Perhaps that would be best! I would love to see some European Team play against a Western American team in a server hosted in Los Angeles! Then Euros could see what kind of lag Durka and a few other West Coast people play with all the time in Euro servers.
Um, you do realize europeans play in american servers too, right? We already know what lag is just as well as americans do.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Lizmatic wrote:
compguygene wrote:If we have an equal number of American and European teams, the brackets could certainly be arranged like that! Perhaps that would be best! I would love to see some European Team play against a Western American team in a server hosted in Los Angeles! Then Euros could see what kind of lag Durka and a few other West Coast people play with all the time in Euro servers.
Um, you do realize europeans play in american servers too, right? We already know what lag is just as well as americans do.

Yes, I do realize that. However, I think very few Europeans have played in a West Coast hosted server. Three or four years ago, Wild West was hosted in California. But, since then, Wild West has been hosted mostly in Atlanta and Texas. For the last year, any Wild West fortress or sumo server has been hosted in Texas. There is actually quite a difference in ping between Texas and California. The small server that I picked up about 3 weeks ago, is the only one I know of currently that is hosted in California, in this case in Los Angeles. So you and others can check it out, I will put up a fortress server there today, and let everyone know the name. I am also going to fix the settings today on my Sumo Server that is hosted there. To give you an idea of the difference, let me give you the example of myself. I live near Cleveland, Ohio. In German servers, which are the furthest east from me, such as the DS Mega Fortress server, I generally ping in the 120-150ms range. In a server hosted in Los Angeles, California, I ping in the 130-160ms range. Europeans seem to ping in the 190-240ms range in the server in the server in question. To the best of my knowledge, this is how I have seen Durka ping in German Servers. Durka lives in Los Angeles, and pings in the 22-25ms range in my new server. I think a match between a team with Durka and some other West Coast people and a German or Dutch team would be quite interesting. I would be willing to bet that Durka, et al have more experience dealing with the associated lag in a German server, than German or Dutch people have playing in a West Coast server. I am NOT saying that Europeans don't play with high pings in Americn servers, especially you! I am saying that the general trend is Europeans who participate in Ladles play less in a high ping environment than their American counterparts. I think the biggest reason for this is very simple. Between the hours of 3pm GMT and 11pm GMT it is pretty common to find European Fortress games going on, and American fortress players tend to join those matches, instead of starting their own in American servers. However, it is also pretty common for Americans to be playing Fortress matches in American servers between the hours of 11pm EST (4am GMT) AND 1am EST (6am GMT). Not many Europeans play during those hours, though I will say, it is very common to have a "late night fortress match" in an American server and at least 1 or 2 Europeans join the game!

To better flesh out what we are deciding here, I have created a page on the wiki. I am calling this the North Atlantic Fortress Tournament (NAFT) as per sine's suggestion. Click here to view/edit the page http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... Tournament I agree with 2020's assessment that this forum is not the best choice for collaboration. Since many of you understand how to edit on a wiki, and already have accounts on the Armagetron Wiki, I have decided to use it to record what we want to do with this tournament. Please read what I have written, and feel free to give whatever criticism, advice, or comment you wish to on this thread. Together, I think we could come up with a new Fortress Tournament that will be both unique and fun! :)
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

compguygene wrote:...between the hours of 11pm EST (4am GMT) AND 1am EST (6am GMT). Not many Europeans play during those hours, though I will say, it is very common to have a "late night fortress match" in an American server and at least 1 or 2 Europeans join the game!
Agreed. But it would be a good experience to play 7 o'clock against some Americans! Good idea, and i think many players will participate!
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
Luiso
Average Program

Post by Luiso »

I love this idea but I agree with olive that not all the teams have servers.(you said that you can give for the tourney a server in some places comp, only to say that spanish feels like a normal european in arma in a server hosted in France :D)
@comp and the lag, btw lwts host a server in spain and all will feel our lag :D If spanish team plays a match in a server hosted in Los Angeles we all will have 250-350 ping :S
I am not responsible for the content of this message ;)
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Olive wrote:Trans-atlantic fort tournament?

There could be loads of teams;

netherlands
spain
germany (2 teams?)
france
uk (2 teams?)
scandinavia
poland
united-eastern europe countries
united-southern europe countries

could be set up for europe already.

I'ts probably impossible to have 50% eu and 50% us, probably the best would be just to hussle up things, after all its a country competition and not Americans vs. Eu (which would be rather boring as the outcome is obvious, EU will win.)
I will definitely change the name. I see your point about limiting things to a 50/50 split. As to the outcome being assumed that EU would win....you are underestimating the current skillz of the cream of the crop of US players. Once we are done with this, we will have to do another AVE! If only so I can prove you wrong!

I guess I rather missed your post there. I will adjust the wiki accordingly.
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

Olive wrote: and not Americans vs. Eu (which would be rather boring as the outcome is obvious, EU will win.)
[sarcasm] Yeah, it's not like the Americans won last time we tried it. [/sarcasm]
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

owned wrote:
Olive wrote: and not Americans vs. Eu (which would be rather boring as the outcome is obvious, EU will win.)
[sarcasm] Yeah, it's not like the Americans won last time we tried it. [/sarcasm]

THAT'S IT! When this is done, I will get the best set of American Fortress Players together, and have them duke it out with the best European Fortress Players that you people come up with! Definitely something to be setup after this tournament runs! IT'S ON!