Is there an an old school server you want brought back

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
rumpole
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rumpole »

I see that theres an guru3 classic server out there which I have joined twice, it been running so long that the bugs show all human players pings as 0 :o

So as this server probably hasnt been rebooted in forever ? I would say it must be old school for sure.

Tank if you read this please reboot your server but before you do see if you can possibly dump the memory to see what variables are causing this ping error
Writing code is easy. Finishing is hard.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I restart it every now and then... *whistles*
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

rumpole wrote:Tank if you read this please reboot your server but before you do see if you can possibly dump the memory to see what variables are causing this ping error
IIRC it had something to do with the time point being left floating for too long.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
-=VcL.Rajinn
Round Winner

Post by -=VcL.Rajinn »

I want to see The Lobster Cage back. That was my first server I ever played in
KamP
Round Winner

Post by KamP »

-=VcL.Rajinn wrote:I want to see The Lobster Cage back. That was my first server I ever played in
Hear, hear!
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

well, if anyone ha settings for "The Lobster Cage" i will do it!
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re:

Post by Phytotron »

Misery wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing Breakfast of Champions/Breakfast in Hell back. :)
Word. I recently loaded up BiH settings into my local game, with tweaks to my preference*. Too bad local game is virtually unplayable at the moment thanks to all those little freezes and crap. Guess I could load it up in an older client. If Gene wants to do this too, I could help. /me squatter

Of course, Lucifer's input (and approval) would also be appropriate, even if he's abandoned last-man-standing style play.

Code: Select all

CYCLE_RUBBER 2
CYCLE_RUBBER_TIME 3
CYCLE_RUBBER_TIMEBASED 0.5 or 0.7
CYCLE_DELAY 0.1
CYCLE_RUBBER_DELAY 0.05
CYCLE_RUBBER_DELAY_BONUS 0
But I change'em up now and then.
Last edited by Phytotron on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
compguygene

Re: Is there an an old school server you want brought back

Post by compguygene »

Great!
As a courtesy to Lucifer, I would like to ask permission to use the Breakfast in Hell name. Also, was this as server who's name was plaintext? Or, was there a specific color associated with it?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yay. Where's Fonkay?

None of the servers had colored names at that time.

As for the name itself, you'll find under the "Breakfast" servers subforum talk about how Lucifer wanted to drop the "Breakfast" part of it (for reasons you can read about there). That was at the same time as 0.2.8.0 was coming out, and with that he went on to have the "Swamplords in Hell/on Crack" and "Crackpipe" renamings and all that, which included totally changing the server to messing with maps and stuff within that. And that was all very short-lived, to my recollection.

I don't know where he still stands on the use of "Breakfast." I also never quite figured where eggcozy ultimately came to stand on it. I've noticed in the server list that he [eggcozy] is now playing in the fortress type servers, so he's still around to ask.

Personally, I'd like to see the name remain. I don't see anyone recognizing it with those other names. Maybe "Breakfast in Hell [Clone or Redux]." Or, as I once suggested, "Brunch in Heck," heh. I dunno, we'll hash it out.

I'll tell you one thing, I'm peeved about this "Swampland Mud Puddle" and their forum. I realise Swampy apparently doesn't object, but to my mind that server has no actual relationship to Swampland, Shrunkland, or BiH, other than having taken the Swampland name and the green "Get ready!" round message. How's that relevant to BiH? The "Swamplords" bit.

[Side note: You might also notice that Shrunkland was originally titled "Breakfast in Shrunkland."]

I would also like Lucifer's opinion on those settings tweaks I made.

EDIT: "Swamplords on Crack" to "Swamplords in Hell/on Crack" & "he's" to "he [eggcozy] is" — clarification purposes
Last edited by Phytotron on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

I have read a lot of the forum posts in question. But, was just a little unsure as to how things had actually played out on the grid. I will PM Lucifer, or catch him in IRC. Perhaps, with his blessing, we can bring back the "Breakfast" brand back and put shrunkland under the "Breakfast" brand. We could consider bringing a "Swampland" back as well, if you would like to tinker with the settings, etc.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

I'm ambivalent about reattaching the Breakfast preface to Shrunkland. On the one hand, that was its original name, having been a derivation of Swampland, which was itself a derivation of the original Breakfast of Champions server, as you've probably read by now. I assume that's why Swampy originally attached Breakfast to Shrunkland, anyway—I don't recall whether we ever discussed that, come to think of it.

On the other hand, that was short-lived, only going from September to December 2005 according to posts, with the "Shrunkland in [version number]" being the longest running title. Swampland never had "Breakfast" in its title, either. And BiH was derived and developed independent of both Swampland and Shrunkland.

Then again, whatever names they had, all three were, at least at one time by some people, considered "Breakfast servers" (hence their discussion in the Servers/Breakfast subforum).

And most of us who were BiH regulars migrated over to Shrunkland when BiH shut down, so there was a player base commonality there. And it might serve to further differentiate from the Mud Puddle deal. The onus there really should be on Ca$h and them, but I highly doubt he/they would relinquish the Swampland name association/drop. Plus, with this Shrunkland potentially being a "redux/remaster/director's cut" rather than exact clone (on which I'll elaborate further once we're all sorted), it might be good for differentiating it from...itself, heh. In fact, I had been thinking it might be fun to periodically swap the settings out for a "Shrunkland in Hell" experience where I'd put all the BiH speed and rubber settings into the Shrunkland arena and let people go berserk, hehe.

Whereas the whole point and emphasis in wanting to retain the "Breakfast" in Breakfast in Hell itself is mainly just the matter of that being the identifiable name.

I dunno. Let's wait until Lucifer shows up and chimes in with his view on BiH and such, then go from there. Input from eggcozy and Swampy would probably be useful, too. But the above are my thoughts thus far.

Oh, it's all so weighty! Har.

As for Swampland, I'm not too interested, myself. For one, from my personal point of view and preference, it was at the time, and would be now, a bit redundant with BiH in place. There were some differences, but they were similar enough, and for me BiH was more fun. And with the fact that we may be a bit starving for users for awhile in the first place, I don't think we need to be flooding the market, so to speak. Armagoshdarn, Shrunkland, and BiH will be good, distinct representatives.

Another thing is that most anyone actively playing today who will remember Swampland will remember it in 0.2.7.1, and simply will not be satisfied with a 0.2.8.x version, no matter what you do to try to mimic 0.2.7.1 (and they definitely wouldn't like what I'd do to it). That was tried and quickly failed. I liked it (mostly—low cycle_delay always irritated me), but most all the rest complained that they couldn't do their dozen 180s and adjusts anymore and were getting beat by regular grinds and the rubber wasn't forgiving enough in general and it just wasn't right and OMG WTF yadda yadda. I noticed there was also a Swampland clone up for awhile recently—hosted by, uh, Nexus or Nixda? Granted, it was euro-based and that turned off the Americans, but they also just weren't interested in the feel versus 0.2.7.1. Too hard! Most of the latter-day Swampland regulars are playing Mud Puddle now, anyway.
Last edited by Phytotron on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

That all makes sense to me. It also explains the history of this that I am not aware of, since I wasn't playing Armagetron at the time, and only have past forum posts to go on. As you state, once Luci chimes in we can figure this thing out.
cash
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by cash »

I have to respond to this discussion because some facts are being left out about Swampland, Mud Puddle and the Swampland Forum.
When Swampy wanted to shutdown Swampland I offered to host it. At the time it was 0.2.7.1. Also g-land was hosted by gss and was similar but in 0.2.8.x.
I paid for hosting of Swampland first as 0.2.7.1, using Swampy's settings, with many many complaints, essentially because the server was not very good, then as 0.2.8.x (with help from gss and a few server moves) with less complaints but it seemed most of the long time players had given up on it, as it sat empty.
Using the settings from Swampland 0.2.8.x with a few changes and the assistance mot1, Misery and a few others we came up with Mud Puddle. It caught on fast and has been busy, although most of the original Swampland group have moved on or don't play as much.
Shortly after Mud Puddle was running several people were asking for a Swampland forum. I discussed it with Swampy and a few others and went ahead with it.
I have always said I liked Swampland 0.2.7.1 more than any other and if it were around today I'd play there most but my experience tells me it wouldn't be very busy for many reasons.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Relevance? Discrepancy?

I suppose I could point out that 0.2.7.1 wasn't the "original Swampland," nor were many of its players.

Look, if you kids want to have your little quasiclan forum with a Shrunkland subforum and believe that you're somehow the true descendants of or successors to Swampland, or whatever, there's nothing I can do about that. But as far as what's being discussed here with respect to namings and associations, my purpose is to make it clear—so there are no misapprehensions among players—that your Mud Puddle server has nothing to do with Shrunkland, other than each having been independently derived from Swampland once upon a time.

Yours, I would say, is more vague and tenuous in that regard. "Small Swampland?" I don't think so. It deviates significantly enough from Swampland (either era) that it is its own thing. But that's my opinion. It's obviously more up to Swampy whether you should be "allowed" (so to speak) to use the Swampland name, and he apparently approves. I suppose this is sort of the converse of eggcozy's disapproval of Lucifer's use of "Breakfast," and categorisation of Swampland as "Breakfast."

Shrunkland, on the other hand, was established by Swampy and began as the original 0.2.7.0 Swampland config, only smaller and slower. Indeed, the original server description was "It's like Swampland, only smaller." It, too, subsequently deviated from that and became its own thing (on this I'll have more to say later).

But I digress. Point is, Mud Puddle came well after all that, and there has never been any substantive relationship between it and Shrunkland, other than someone having erroneously plastered the URL to your forum into it. (That's going to be removed, by the way.) So, again, my concern is avoiding anyone getting the misimpression that the two servers do have anything to do with each other.

To get back on topic, by a similar token therein lies part of my ambivalence about reattaching "Breakfast" to Shrunkland, as I already discussed. I'm inclined to think the best solution might be to just drop all of the "branding" altogether, whether it's called Breakfast or Swamplords or whatever. Let each server now stand on its own, instead. "Shrunkland [redux/remastered]," and ideally, plain "Mud Puddle" sans the "Swampland" (although, again, I'm rather confident the latter isn't going to happen). And to further repeat myself, with respect to continuing the Breakfast in Hell name, that's more about identification for older players when they see it in the list. But maybe we should just adjust that, too, especially if I'm going to make any little tweaks (such as those posted above). Brunch in Heck? Other ideas?

Still want to wait on comments from Lucifer and eggcozy, Swampy too.
Last edited by Phytotron on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
cash
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by cash »

Phytotron wrote:Look, if you kids want to have your little quasiclan forum
Understand that Mud Puddle and the Swampland forum are not run by kids.
They are run by 6 people all between 30-50 years old and no one is interested in clans.
Furthermore, your opinions are worthless with regards to any of the servers you talk about in your posts, as you contribute nothing.
Many here contribute their time and sometimes their hard earned money to make this game fun.
What do you do besides complain and spread your negative attitude where ever you go.
Don't bother to reply as I won't read it.