15%
I play open
24%

Total votes: 78

Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Open vs Closed, N°2

Post by Word »

I open a new topic for this although I saw there is already one but I was missing my first option there, and my viewpoint is different from cetialpha's.

Today, there are lots of players who complain if you don't play open although it's not in the servers rules and the settings (the rubber) is set to a value which allows it.
In my opinion everyone who thinks closing his bad can go to a norubber server.
One of the main arguments that is used to underline the importance of playing open is that "all the pros do it", which is something I would like to find out with this poll :) .

I don't say playing open is for noobs, but it is getting on my nerves whenever someone complains that he was closed in by me. He could just learn how to escape, or how to get the chance to close earlier.
I'm also not talking about the loose dog fight servers. In most cases it's already included in the server name that you aren't supposed to close there, which is OK.
But if you play in Capture The Flag, Sumo, Fortress or Swampland, you might happen to meet one of those DF people who think this rule is valid everywhere he goes, and he eventually attempts to kick or insults you for sealing him in.
From my viewpoint it's technically impossible to die without using all of your rubber unless you get admin-killed, so the most frequent kind of death is just a sort of "over-closing".
cetialpha wrote: Again, Armagetron is a big enough place for everybody.
Z-Man wrote:If it's a game rule and not some code of honor, that's acceptable for me.
Really, now this is like a prophecy...it has become a code of honor actually. Therefore, it seems to me as if some places are not big enough for everybody (especially after i've closed them in x) ).

In some servers closers aren't tolerated anymore.
I think it's unimporant if you close or play open as long as you can get a point which helps your team or your position on the scoreboard. It seems to me as if the players who refuse to close think it makes them open-minded to play open (crap).

edit: found another old topic, enjoy these quotes.
root down wrote:i don't think one can aruge that playing "open" requires a broader set of skills than playing "closed", ie. "closed" players NEED to know how to gring as tight as possible, open players don't. if i were to start the game new and play "open", why would i learn to grind in the first place? the skillset required for playing "closed" translates to "open", not the other way around. ("good open" players may be more skillful at mazing than "skilled closed" players, simply by virtue of the fact that "skilled closed" players don't need to make mazes, instead they force others to do so.) i would therefore draw the conclusion that "closed" playing requires more skill and is therefore the superior gametype. maybe that's fallacious, whatever. until open is an official gametype, "open" players can eat wall.
QUARG wrote:on the topic of sealing. in any style of play it all comes down to common courtisy. if your opponent is open dogfighting, (taken from the fighter pilot term, or at least thats how we intended it to be used) i think its a matter of respect to return the favor or atleast specify what your intentions are. ofcourse if your in id high rubber and someone seals you in, i think it had to be expected.
im honestly quite fedup with the complaining about sealing in anyserver. this has come around with the new generation of players that i think misinterprated the game style wether it be low or high rubber. i have to say though that this phenomenon exists in almost all styles, take sumo for example. i dont play it much but when i do i tend to have an attacking style (due to my high rubber background) which i dont think is apreaciated by the hardcore sumo crowd. sumo seems to be more of a none contact sport were you need to push your oponent out instead of killing. conquer the pie as ive been told.
Thilo wrote:The mind set of an open player isn't to conquer the opponent, it's to conquer the particular maze at hand.

Players who seal:
- are aggressive
- are dominant
- are conservative
- are cruel
- are the kind of people get get in fist fights over stupid shit
- have primitive brains
- cannot see a competition beyond the scope of win/lose
- have too much pride

Open players:
- are playful
- take risks
- can die and still have fun
- pride control of the bike
- explore style
- enjoy personal challenges
- have sex with beautiful women

Open players would rather attempt a maze and die than sit in a box triple binding back and forth and eventually winning. Winning, especially at a game as silly as Tron, is extremely overrated, and I don't see how anyone could get satisfaction from doing the same speed/seal over and over again, match after match.

balls
Phytotron wrote:
various forum members correctly wrote: It's basically what people who are...still too wussy to play the game do.

I wish limbo had been more popular, now there was a good last man standing server.

The whole point or arma...was to cut people off so that they run into your wall and explode.

Besides the juvenile side of this they totally underestimate the zoning aspect of tron.

I wish this whole shit would just die and everyone can play like she/he wants again.

Silly [Oscilloscope] didn't play open. Maybe you're confused about your reasons for being kicked.

stop shitting up stupid the server with your weird ass rules

There's no multi-grinding with proper settings.

players are making up rules so the game is more friendly to them. if i break their "rules", i'm not playing their version of the game, so i'm not really better than them, right? maybe they're bored with sealing because getting put in a box, dying, and watching the real players play the real game isn't as fun as playing. instead of developing a skillset to compete on a higher level, they just change the rules of the game.

people who whine and moan about people closing should be dealt with

spoiled open players [meaning: can't defend themselves, can't core dump others, and are easily defeated]

There aren't little Jeff Bridges' in the bike models....

i don't think one can aruge that playing "open" requires a broader set of skills than playing "closed"

i remember 'laps', and multi mazes and stuff, and that was great. i don't think these things is analogous to playing "open" though. ... players who play open (usually) can't grind worth shit, so when it comes down to it they (usually) can't hang. it's great if you want to play and concentrate on getting better at an aspect of the real game, but if you choose to play by your own rules of no sealing, and don't learn to beat others' grinds, hard cheese when people put you in a box.

if people play "open" with me, then when (not if) I get out of their tunnel, I'm going to slap them in the smallest, most tightly sealed box I can

playing "open" is like buying yourself loss-insurance. i mean shit, if i kill some open player, i'm just a closer.

Just remember that many players (I think more than there used to be) are good at moving and doing stuff, but have very little, if any, tactical sophistication...whose only claim to skill is the wild moves they can make; it doesn't take much effort to think smarter.

Why does every single "open" player I've come across have absolutely no objection to hugging and grinding and sealing the rim—and in fact does so as a regular practice—for cores, no less?
Last edited by Word on Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:22 am, edited 10 times in total.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Re: Open vs Closed, N°2

Post by Jonathan »

I close with shift-esc. Problem solved.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
madmax
Round Winner

Post by madmax »

I think the first option should have been KILL KILL KILL.
Winner of the How Many Pages Before The Lock® competition and a grand total of 18,93 euros in Euromillions.
Monkey.D.Luffy
Average Program

Post by Monkey.D.Luffy »

yes thats' strange, more there is rubber more the players play open :ghost: ridicilous! to close the ennemies is the point of the game :moustache:
I close to kill! :cat:
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

A close is a kill. It is only in your bike.
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

People who make up their own rules how a game is supposed to be played and try to force those rules on others have always been and will always be scrubs. There's settings now that enforce open play. Shoo, use them on your server and GTFO of mine.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

theroze wrote:A close is a kill.
Not if the opponent gets through :))
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Need I even state how I voted? This "open" garbage, and whatever else these fools want to call it and its arbitrary variations, is the worst thing to happen to this game. It's fouled up both the game itself as well as the 'community.' And coming from me, that's saying a lot, isn't it. You all know how much I dislike and object to things like high rubber, multibind usage tied with miniscule cycle_delay, maps, zones, mulitple axes, clans.

A few years ago when this crap started up, I was hoping it would ultimately wear out as a passing fad. Alas, it's too appealing to two types of player (of which there is some overlap). Root down pretty much nailed it. The first type are the newer players who simply don't want to practice actually getting better, learning tactics and strategy, defense (or offense, for that matter), and how to grind well—and losing in the meantime. Instead, they'd rather diddle around and count on others to go easy on them. Don't, and they rage or whine. The second type are those who need yet another ego boost, reason to talk trash, and lord themselves over others. If you crash inside their tunnel full of double/triplebind squiggles, you're a suxxors noob. If you core dump them, you're a cheap cheater noob closer not good enough to play the way the elite skilled players do. And they rage or whine. Like root down said, loss insurance. Either way, they're better than you and have a snotty, tyrannical, rageful gang with them to slap each other on the back and harass you in agreement.

You left out my summary quote, Word: http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 01#p177901

That quote from Thilo (whomever that is) is absolute claptrap rubbish.

What Z-Man stated should go get posted all over the Swampland Mud Puddle forum.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Indeed, the "open players" should form a clan, since they already act like one. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Word

Post by Word »

such clans already exist in most df servers. but they usually die after a short time (like most other new clans). :P
Last edited by Word on Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

If they want open only servers, let em create df style servers with no rubber. sheesh.
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Open play is like fencing, only you're not allowed to lunge. You can only hope your opponent is gracious enough to push his torso onto the tip of your foil.

I don't fence like that. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

the fact of rediculous noobs complaining over closed traps is bullshit, the open stuff is even more bullshit. If you want to play "open" style, the noob can just grindyou and get infront of you, thus trapping you in a closed manner and then spraying it in your face. I dont df because the noobs that created open shit can stick it up their asses.
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

I really don't think it matters if you close or not. If you don't want someone to close you, do not allow them to.

I really don't think about weather I am closing or not while I am playing.

I just go for the kills.

Question about closing: If you create a 'trap' that is technically open in sumo, but is too small for someone to live through with the high cycle turn speed, is it considered closing?
Word

Post by Word »

by some people, yes....(although i can't really understand why)