Ladle 27 Discussion/plan for voting of settings

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Re: Ladle 27 Discussion/plan for voting of settings

Post by gawdzilla »

compguygene wrote:I understand that the knee-jerk reaction to all this is to eliminate the possibility of players talking to the other team. This is probably a mistake. It would probably be much wiser to allow players to talk to each other, but implement a simple rule against spamming, excessive trash talk, excessive cursing, abuse, racial remarks, comments about sexual orientation, and overly sexual comments. Obviously, this kind of rule needs to be enforced gently by any admins. I think the idea should be that admins will warn people that they are crossing the line, silencing as needed. Basically, if we can just set a basic standard for good behavior, we can enforce it. To help control the power wielded by admins, the community could vote on who will admin, and also choose to vote to remove admins. Obviously, if we are going to continue to have "friendly" Ladle tourneys, we do need to have some mild moderation going on. That way if the player "IHateEverybody" starts to cause trouble, an admin can intervene before the situation explodes into a disaster.
Too bad, I wanted to call you a raging queer next time I see you on the grid.

A simple /silence player is more than enough in this case, I have never seen overly bad behaviour that can't be fixed with that, and the only reason we're even discussing this is because of those pussy DS'ers. In the next ladle, things will be fine, mark my w0rdz.
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

Lizmatic wrote:
Too bad, I wanted to call you a raging queer next time I see you on the grid.

A simple /silence player is more than enough in this case, I have never seen overly bad behaviour that can't be fixed with that, and the only reason we're even discussing this is because of those pussy DS'ers. In the next ladle, things will be fine, mark my w0rdz.
No need to continue flaming as the discussion was over you drama llama.
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I guess since we don't have a setting to eliminate all but /team chat for low/un-authed players, then there is no choice but to appoint a moderator (if that is the result of the vote). I feel like this mod's powers should be resticted as much as possible to avoid abuse. And rather than a huge list of rules, maybe the mod could only take action if there is a complaint? Like if someone calls Lizmatic a dyke, and no one complains, that person should not be silenced.

Rather than an appointment process, we'll be lucky to even have a few poeple to volunteer to do this. We may have to just take what we are given (those who sign up on the challenge board).

And finally, I still think we should explore Flex's idea for the future, simply because it's a good idea and worth the effort. The game climate might change significantly over the next few months, and this might come in handy.

:pdog:
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Well, there is ACCESS_LEVEL_CHAT, it is set to 20 (any player) in the settings_authentication.cfg. Setting it to ACCESS_LEVEL_CHAT 19 would be for authenticated players, etc.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

AshitakA and I were talking on IRC about his "Double elimination idea". When I was thinking about double elimination I was thinking of the type that would almost double the length of the ladle so that all teams that loose move on to play in the second bracket.

However this is not what he is talking about, he is talking about adding in a second bracket for the non winners of the first round to move onto. This essentially will let other teams that want to play become a bit more experienced by getting to play matches.

I think it is a good idea and really does not require a lot of work to implement. So maybe we could add this to the list of things to vote on.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

kyle wrote:AshitakA and I were talking on IRC about his "Double elimination idea"...
Are the bouts still best of three? Or just one match, like Wild West tourneys? Those usually work pretty well.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

kyle wrote:AshitakA and I were talking on IRC about his "Double elimination idea". When I was thinking about double elimination I was thinking of the type that would almost double the length of the ladle so that all teams that loose move on to play in the second bracket.

However this is not what he is talking about, he is talking about adding in a second bracket for the non winners of the first round to move onto. This essentially will let other teams that want to play become a bit more experienced by getting to play matches.

I think it is a good idea and really does not require a lot of work to implement. So maybe we could add this to the list of things to vote on.
I think this would be an awesome way to encourage newer Ladle teams. It gets rather old for newer teams to always just get knocked out the first round.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I wrote:the system i'd prefer is the one ww used to have for their ctf tournaments ("loser to slot xy").
(+)
  • ladle matches are shorter (if it's just one match, and not best 2 out of 3); the timetable gets hardly messed up if two teams don't show
  • loser teams have a second chance, which is the next team they have to beat
  • more teams/more opponents --> more excitement (but that's my opinion)
  • debates about the fairness of a match in which team 1 is American and team 2 European become unnecessary because the brackets can be planned in a way that every team has the chance to play in a server that is hosted in his own continent (even if it loses the first match).
(-)
  • more servers are needed (but we have enough)
  • more admins would be recommended if there are problems
  • a bad organisation would cause chaos
  • because there's always at least one server down, there need to be enough backup servers
  • some teams lose earlier than they would when it was best out of 3, some others might win because of this; but this is still speculation.
--------------

Maybe the finals should be played best out of 3 again so it's more exciting ;)
kyle

Post by kyle »

word, I don't think many if any want it to be best of 1, so the way you make it would make the ladle length double

we are just talking having two brackets one for eliminated teams in first round and 1 for winners of first round
noob_saibot
Round Winner

Post by noob_saibot »

that could be the dumbest double elimination bracket i have ever seen
WINNER OF: Ladle 47 .... preSsure's mom & Durka's mom

"If you're not part of the freaks, you're part of the boredom." -Perry Farrell
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

ok i misunderstood that ^^
kyle

Post by kyle »

noob_saibot wrote:that could be the dumbest double elimination bracket i have ever seen
it may not be the best but for the time it would take to do a true double elimination, it would at least give other teams more practice and maybe boost popularity a bit

I would like a true double elimination but i think it would require most likely back to back sundays
noob_saibot
Round Winner

Post by noob_saibot »

it would be very hard to coordinate consolation matches for one; the "main draw" matches usually don't end at the same time - and if a "team" manages to stay and stick around for a consolation match, who's to say that each member of the team will do so. It's a good idea yes, but not likely to happen.
WINNER OF: Ladle 47 .... preSsure's mom & Durka's mom

"If you're not part of the freaks, you're part of the boredom." -Perry Farrell
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

noob_saibot wrote:it would be very hard to coordinate consolation matches for one; the "main draw" matches usually don't end at the same time - and if a "team" manages to stay and stick around for a consolation match, who's to say that each member of the team will do so. It's a good idea yes, but not likely to happen.
I disagree. If everyone knows ahead of time that they would progress to a second round, people would stick around. Also, if we have admins, the admins could announce what teams go where at the end of the match.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

In fact, if everybody that signs up knows there will be a second round, you might get even more signups. You can even give the winner of the loser bracket a special name indicating that they were only one win away from the regular championship. There's something to be said for coming in there, because then they're roughly equivalent (in numbers) to whoever came in second in the regular bracket.

For purposes of ranking, you could give each round a certain score, and if you win, you gain the points for that round. That way you can rank the winner of the alternate bracket next to the top teams in the regular bracket. Hell, you could rank all the teams that way.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden