New lo poly TRON Legacy lightcycle

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
edd
Core Dumper

New lo poly TRON Legacy lightcycle

Post by edd »

I started this some time ago, but vagued out as usual, anyway this is almost finalised, I just have to add a couple of things like a disk on the back and make a decent wall image. When it's finished I'll post it in blender and 3ds formats. I just thought it would be good to see how this works on a other machines, so feedback would be welcome.

Edd
Attachments
aa legacy cycle2.jpg
aa legacy cycle.jpg
AA cycle.zip
cycle model and maps
(412.19 KiB) Downloaded 606 times
D Geist
Average Program

Re: New lo poly TRON Legacy lightcycle

Post by D Geist »

Very nice :D :D :D :D
äo
edd
Core Dumper

Post by edd »

latest update. I will re-post the model and textures when they are finalised.

edd
Attachments
tron legacy model
tron legacy model
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

great work!

Edd, now that you are here, do you know the mapping method of Armagetron?
http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 47&t=19089
edd
Core Dumper

Post by edd »

Thanks folks

It's good to be back.

Word, by mapping are you referring to the way the cycle is textured? If so the mapping info is held in the .ASE file (or whatever format). For example I have used several different mapping methods from within 3D studio Max, on various models in the past and the mapping co-ordinates are held in the exported .ASE file. I hope this answers your question, let me know if I can be of more help.

edd
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

thanks , that helped me indeed a lot :)
i don't have that option in the ase exporter but theres a good alternative in c4d which should work here.
edd
Core Dumper

Post by edd »

Iv'e reduced the cycle model to 970 Polygons and it's now 408 K. Don't think I can reduce it much more without losing detail.

Edd
Attachments
quick screen grab of cycles
quick screen grab of cycles
Archive.zip
Latest model with texture map
(316.81 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
edd
Core Dumper

Post by edd »

Here's an updated bike texture. It gives a bit more detail.

Edd
Attachments
cycle texture
cycle texture
edd
Core Dumper

Post by edd »

All the files needed, Cycle model in .ase, .3ds and .blender format along with texture maps for cyc;e, sky, floor, wall, shadow and cycle trail. A 'in progress' title screen is also in here along with the visual cettings .cfg file.

Edd
Attachments
Archive.zip
All files for tron legacy cycle
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 397 times
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

amazing edd, just amazing work.
edd
Core Dumper

Post by edd »

Thank's sinewav, I think I should 'jazz' the arena wall up a bit. I'll take a look at the TRON Legacy preview again for inspiration.

Edd
Jolts
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Jolts »

I've been a fan of your models for a while and this is one of my favorites now. Great job, I can't wait to use it.
"Some people say that hacking is magic for computers, but I say that magic is hacking nature."
edd
Core Dumper

Post by edd »

Thank's Jolts, it runs ok on my machine hope it's not too big for general use.

edd
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Well, it looks good, but you asked about performance on a typical computer. I tried the cycle model with the other moviepack images you included, as well as by itself stuck in the basic moviepack I had been using. I tried with all details up/on, which brought fps down a good bit, as would be expected. But, I don't play with floor, anyway—besides being distracting, it's also a big hit, so off it went. That helped, as did turning off alpha blending, of course. (Oops, just realised I never turned on the sky at all.) Hard to say how much the cycle model/skin itself hurt fps, didn't seem too bad in that respect. However, it did cause a fairly significant bit of momentary freeze between rounds, as it reset. If I were in the middle of typing, it would have to buffer that to catch up once it unfroze and the round began. Often, there would be a perceived "lag bomb" at the start of the round as well, with huge lag-o-meters and everything, but obviously one caused by the graphics, not actual internet latency. So, that's a big problem. Turning off object texture detail didn't seem to matter much.

I'm using a 1.42 G4 eMac, which has the ATI Radeon 9600, plus 1 GB RAM. I would say that's pretty average, at worst. Usual resolution is 1280x960, but I ran the game at 1024x768, fullscreen.

But, the thing about these types of cycle models is, as good as they look, I don't think many players have their camera close enough to even really see it. I used smartcam with FOV 110. And this one specifically makes it difficult to see where the front of the cycle is, which is kinda important, eh (despite the fact the nose goes through walls a bit). Turning off the object detail (the cycle skin) made the shape more visible, though, and kinda neat looking.

Still, it looks cool. The Sark's ship model is totally impractical, and I have that, too. :D
edd
Core Dumper

Post by edd »

Hey Phytotron, that's great feedback, I'm using a MacBooc Pro and even with 20 bikes on the grid it runs fine, with sky on and textured mirrored floor. I will continue to tweak the model to reduce the poly count. I guess you still can't beat the original cycle for performance, it just looks so ugly though!

Edd